Shopify payments in a country where it is not supported

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi there!

I got a question regarding Shopify Payments, is it achievable to have it in the country where it is not supported?

(I live in a country where Shopify Payments is not supported).

1. If I let's say open a bank account in Germany (I'm European citizen) and connect it to Shopify, then the price at the checkout will show EURO or the currency of my country? I'm almost sure that it will be € as it's the basic currency of the bank I have an account in. 

Besides that, Shopify Payments accepts payments in multiple currencies and it would be nice to have converted price at the checkout to the currency the country I'm selling in (e.g. UK).

2.  If I use an internet connection from my local provider and then connect to the server via VPN e.g. in the UK, will option Shopify Payments be available?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Wojtek

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
703 65 138

Hey there, @luigi_07 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question. This is not possible, Shopify Payments can only be used in stores that are based in supported countries. I have seen cases where merchants have tried the workarounds you have mentioned and it does not work in the long term. We are rapidly expanding our payment gateway to more countries. To do so, we need to make sure that the version of our gateway we launch in said country is compliant to the requirements of that country so while we would like to provide the service to all merchants immediately, our banking partners cannot do this. 

To use Shopify Payments you need to be based in a supported country (your store address and IP address must reflect this), use a supported currency and have a bank account in the same country that you are based in. 

When Shopify Payments becomes available in your country we will be sure to reach out via email. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
2 0 1

Hi Bo,

Thanks for your answer. At least I know it's not possible!

Br,

Wojtek

1 Like