Shopify "Server Error" when trying to create and save new products

tin1
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi there everyone,

We've been experiencing issues on our store for a few days now where the error message "Server error" is displaying once we have created to save a new product.

Does anyone know what this is due to?

Thanks,

Tin.

Replies 42 (42)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @tin1.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out!

There was an issue, which started a few days ago, where creating a product with images was leading to an error. However, our developers have implemented a fix for this.

With that said, is the issue still persisting on your end? If so, does clearing the cookies and caches for your browser help resolve the issue?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Beetle
Visitor
2 0 6

Hi there,

this problem is still existing, and it is terrible to work like that, taking away precious time. It happens when creating a new product but also when duplicating a product. We have on top of that encountered errors when deleting a product each time.

All these little errors created a massive waste of time and really disturbs the work flow!

When will this finally be fixed please?

Thank you.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Beetle.

Sorry to hear that you're still running into these errors. When this thread started back in late October, there was a known issue and our developers have resolved it since. However, If you're still running into this problem, can you confirm if these issues persist after clearing your browser's cookies and caches?

If the issue persists, I'd be happy to loop in our Technical team and take a closer look at your account. I'll also need to gather a bit more information for the troubleshooting - Can you confirm which device(s) and browser(s) you're using? Also, can you share an example (ie. screenshot/recording) of the errors when creating, duplicating, or deleting a product?

Kaymhatch
Visitor
1 0 3

I am having this same exact issue in April 2021. Have reached out to and spent a long time on the phone with support about it with no fix. I can’t clear my history and cache every single time I load a product. This is super frustrating and like OP said, so time consuming. 

Any updates to this issue? Using google chrome on brand new Microsoft surface laptop. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Kaymhatch.

Welcome to the thread!

I've taken a look at our status page and I'm not seeing any reported issues with the admin or with creating products. While I can understand that having to clear the cache every single time is not a solution; however, there could be other factors that could be leading to the problem. In order to identify where the issue might be coming from, we can try isolating the issue. Can you confirm if the issue persists using different browsers? Or, does the issue persist on other devices? 

If the issue is only happening on one device or one browser, then it's possibly a localized issue. For localized issues, I'd recommend clearing the cookies and caches as well as resetting your Chrome settings to default to see if the issue can be resolved. However, if the issue is persisting across different devices, then this is something that our Technical team will need to take a look at. Though we're unable to provide account-specific support on the Community Forums, as we aren't able to authenticate merchant accounts. However, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I hope this points you in the right direction to get help for this issue. If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

iansabeautie
Visitor
1 0 0

im also experiencing this error when i click on product review app when attempting to add to my shop 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @iansabeautie.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I've tested the Product Review app in my test store and I didn't encounter any errors during the installation process. Does the issue persist after clearing your browser's caches? Or, can you check if the issue persists on a different browser or device?

If the issue persists across different browsers or devices, then this is something that our Technical team will need to take a look at. Though I'm unable to take a closer look at your account, as we're unable to authenticate merchant accounts over the Community Forums. However, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. To create a support request, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account.

I hope this points you in the right direction to get help with Product Reviews. If you have any other questions, simply get back to me here!

BrianFC
Visitor
1 0 0

This "server error" issue has been plaguing us for the last two weeks. I have to close the draft completely and re-open it from the draftlist which is causing major problems and frustrations while building orders with our customers. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing and is making us look unprofessional. Is there any light at the end of this tunnel? 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @BrianFC.

Thank you for joining the thread!

Sorry to hear that you've been dealing with this issue for the last two weeks. Our developers have rolled out a fix for this issue and the issue has been reported as resolved. However, to make sure that your browser receives the fix, you may need to clear your browser's cookies and caches. Just to confirm, did you get a chance to clear your browser's caches? Also, does this issue persist on any other browsers or devices?

If the issue persists, then it looks like we’ll need to take a closer look at your account in order to resolve this issue. While I'm not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community, as we aren't able to authenticate merchant accounts this way. Nevertheless, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. To create a support request, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account.

I'd love to know if our Support team can help you get to the bottom of this issue. Let me know!

laddyfirst
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi there,

Am uploading and updating all my images and product description. It was fine all morning. But just started to have "server error". Already tried on different browsers, clean the browser cache. But all that didn't manage to help. Could you please advice?

Loulla
Visitor
1 0 0

Am facing the same issue for the last hour. Is it something you are fixing soon?

urbnsage
Tourist
10 0 5

Hi, 

I am also experiencing this issue.. I am trying to update some older products and create new ones and I get "server error" on all accounts. Super frustrating, how can I stock the store? 

Using Google Chrome in Incognito Mode on a MacBook Pro! - I wanted to use safari but I was getting an error that Shopify is incompatible with my version of Safari even though I am up to date. 

*edit: refreshing the browser worked lol

Avsthetics
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm also having this issue at this very moment while trying to put up new product listings. 

*edit* refreshing also worked for me lol. Sucks that I lost my progress and had to start over though.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @urbnsage & @Avsthetics.

Thank you both for joining the thread!

I'm glad to hear that refreshing the browser resolved the issue. Both, Google Chrome and Safari, along with several others are supported browsers on our platform. If you run into any issues with any of these browsers, then I'd recommend trying to clear the browser's cookies and caches - for Google Chrome or Safari. However, if an issue continues to persist, then it looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. To get in touch with our Support team, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Aside from the minor issue, how are you guys finding the platform so far?

silk_pursenz
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm just encountering it, brand new to Shopify today, have spent the last couple of hours trying to add my first product!

I'm using Firefox on a Macbook Pro.

This, coupled with a slow internet connection, is incredibly frustrating

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@silk_pursenz 

Thank you for letting me know. If the issue persists, then it may be a locally ended issue. Trying a different browser could work; however, if not, then I'd recommend contacting Shopify Support for further assistance. You can contact support by logging into the Help Center, searching your question/issue, then clicking "contact support" at the bottom of the page that displays the search results. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify

pernielsen
Visitor
1 0 0

I just had the same problem when working in chrome, so I switched to firefox and no more problems

I had the same problem in wordpress when working in chrome, it just is a really lousy browser for work.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@pernielsen @Loulla @laddyfirst 

Thank you for flagging this issue. I checked our recent outages and can confirm that we did see an issue where some store owners were seeing a "Server Error" error appear when working in the admin. The issue has since been resolved. If you're still experiencing the issue then please try refreshing your browser, or trying Google Chrome Incognito mode. 

laddyfirst
Tourist
3 0 2

Thank you. Yes the problem was resolved.

arcmarktg
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi, i'm experiencing the same "Server error" issue when trying to add new product. I've been trying since yesterday. It's really annoying. I tried all suggestions here including clearing cache, changing browsers, devices, etc and nothing worked. Same server error message. 
I've been trying to get in contact with Shopify Support but I've been on the waitlist for a while. 

Beyblade-Gamer
Explorer
54 0 15

I was having a lot of issues with my store yesterday. I think the issue is because shopify just did an update (across ALL stores pretty much), which enabled 1 page check-out.

Hopefully you have better luck today.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @arcmarktg.

Thank you for joining this thread and bringing this to our attention.

We did experience some service interruptions yesterday as indicated by @Beyblade-Gamer. However, these issues should be resolved now. If you're still experiencing any issues, then please don't hesitate to get in touch with us via the Shopify Help Center and we'd be happy to further assist you through live chats.

I noticed that you're a new member of our Shopify Community! We'd love to hear more about your business and share some resources to help you get started. What kinds of products are you selling? Do you have a marketing plan prepared for your store?

arcmarktg
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi @Elias ,

Yes, I'm a new member! Wasn't intending to join until I needed SOS due to the server error 

Sadly, I've been experiencing this error since a few days ago. I just tried adding new product again but still same error. 😞

We're trying to use Shopify to sell our new wearable personal cooler but I can't even add a product to even start selling. I've contacted Shopify support yesterday who said they will look into it... Hopefully it will get resolved soon. Can't wait to start selling 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @arcmarktg.

Thank you for following up with the additional context.

Since you've contacted our live support team, then it's possible that the agent has determined that the issue will require the assistance of our technical team. However, there's also some basic troubleshooting steps that you can try out, such as clearing the browser's caches and cookies or using a different supported browser

Let me know if either of these suggestions can help resolve the issue, or keep us posted on the support ticket!

onlineshop123
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello there,

so I wanted to get my Shop ready and theres constantly showing up the ,,Server Error". Will this ever get fixet? It costs me a lot of time.

Thank you..

kindorganics
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello. This server error continues to be an issue as I am unable to save my product description.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@kindorganics 

The issue you're seeing was likely connected to the outage we had earlier today. Are you still experiencing this issue? If yes, then please reach out to Shopify Support for further assistance. 

We’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

MansKill
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello i got  this problem when i tried to verify my domain first it said the payment failed when there was money out of my bank secondly i tried to resend email to verify the domain and it has been saying server error for a lot of time its still not fixed its terrible to do work like that how do i fix it?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @MansKill.

Thank you for joining the thread and bringing this to our attention.

If the domain purchase failed, then it's possible that an authentication charge was placed on your credit card/bank but the funds weren't captured by Shopify. Typically, in these instances, the authentication charge will expire and disappear from your account. Nevertheless, we'd recommend checking with your bank for further details on this process.

With that being said, if you're still experiencing a server error or you're unable to purchase the domain, then it looks like we'll need to access your account in order to resolve the issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I can see that you're a new member of our Shopify Community! Once you've resolved that issue with our live support team, I'd love to hear more about your experience so far and share some resources to help you get started.

onlineshop123
Visitor
3 0 0

Helo,

i wanted to get my shop done and there is constantly showing up the ,,server error". Will this ever get fixed because its costs me a lot of time.

thank you..

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @onlineshop123.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing the additional context.

It looks like we did experience a service interruption earlier today, and we can confirm that the issue(s) have been resolved now. Just to confirm, are you still experiencing the server errors on your end?

If you are still experiencing this issue, then we may need to access your account in order to resolve the problem. While we're unable to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community, we'd be happy to further assist you through live chats. Simply visit the Shopify Help Center and login to your account to create a support request. 

If you have any other questions, then please don't hesitate to let me know.

MM42
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello, I have encountered the same problem when making an order. I have opened my account on a different laptop in hopes the draft order will be created but same issue I'm having. I have tried opening it on incognito on a different browser. The issue still persists.
Is there anything to fix it? 

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

Hey @MM42.

Thanks for reaching out on this thread. 

If the issue is still occurring across multiple devices and browsers, it would be best to reach out to our live support about the situation. Since we are unable to verify you as the store owner over the Community forums due to the sensitive information that needs to be shared, I am unable to view the specifics. In this case, you can get in direct contact with our live support by navigating to the Help Center.

Once you arrive at the Help Center, you will need to let the virtual assistant be aware that you would like to Speak to support and you will be connected with a Support Advisor accordingly. 

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 

shoponin
Visitor
2 0 1

I have been getting the sever error for hours! I contacted Shopify and spoke to two people and at the end I felt like I was crazy because I was told it was working just fine. So from products I click vendors on the dropdown menu. I scroll through the vendors products and it just ends and I can't go any further than where I am, even thought there are more products.

Jojie Bonate
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @shoponin.

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention!

I understand that you're running into an error when scrolling through the vendors on your storefront. Just to confirm, does this issue happen across different browsers and devices? Does the issue(s) persist after clearing your browser's cookies and caches

Beyblade-Gamer
Explorer
54 0 15

I think I found a good way around  this (I have been having the same issues - even as of April 2022!)

HERE IS MY ADVICE:

When you Create a New Product or Duplicate a Product, Fill in ALL of the Info, But DO NOT Try to Add Any Images.

Once Everything is Filled In (OTHER THAN Product Images), SAVE THE PRODUCT (Click "Save" on the Top Right of Your Screen).

(You can save the product as a "Draft" for now, if desired.)

Now Be Sure to EXIT OUT OF THE PRODUCT!!!

(Just Click On The Left Arrow On The Top of Your Screen, Or Click on Any of the Links in Your Shopify Menu)

Once Saved, simply Go Back Into the product you just created (or duplicated or whatever), and THEN Add the Images!!

So far this is working perfect for me.

It appears that Trying to Add Images BEFORE you Save the Product causes this stupid Server Error (which can end up making you lose all of your progress!)

Also, here is another great tip:  Just to be on the safe side, once you have filled in all of the "Product Description", go into the "HTML View", and Copy ALL of the data in there, then Paste it into a blank text file.

That way, if you DO happen to have a server error and lose all of your progress, at least you still have the Product Description Information saved (and you can just Paste it back into the product description box when you try to create the product again - just open up the "HTML View" in the product description / Editor, and paste it back in)

You may not have to do the above in "HTML View", but that is less likely to mess up the formatting of your product description, especially considering how glitchy the product editor is  🙂

Quick Recap:

When Duplicating or Creating a New Product, Fill in Everything EXCEPT For Product Images (Do NOT Even CLICK on The Spot Where You "Add" Images!!!)

Once Everything EXCEPT For Product Images is Complete, SAVE The Product.

Once Saved, Be Sure to EXIT OUT OF THE PRODUCT.

Once you Have Exited Out of The Product, Simply Go Back Into it Again, and THEN it Will Let You Add Your Images, Without Getting a Server Error.

Beyblade-Gamer
Explorer
54 0 15

*NOTE:  In The Above Reply, I am talking about the issue with getting a "Server Error" When Trying to Create a New Product or Duplicate a Product, Then Save it.

*NOTE 2:  I DO NOT Recommend Refreshing Your Browser to Get Around This (Because You Risk LOSING YOUR PROGRESS / INFORMATION When You Refresh Your Browser!)

QBrookie
Visitor
1 0 2

I just signed up today to create my Shopify store and after spending quite a bit of time setting up my first product, I received a server error when I tried to save, and the page automatically refreshed.

There was no option to even copy what I had typed out on the page. Everything is just gone.

Horrible first impression.

shoponin
Visitor
2 0 1

Yes! I am still having these issues. Here is the message I have been receiving. 

Screenshot (77).png

Jojie Bonate
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @shoponin.

Thank you for joining the thread and bringing this to our attention.

I understand that you're experiencing a server error when using House Plant Dropship. Based on the error message displayed in the screenshot, the issue appears to be related to their app and there is a message advising the app developer to check their logs. If you need to get help with a third-party app, then we'd recommend getting in touch with the developer using the contact information found at the bottom of their app's page or you can also contact them using their online contact form here

That being said, I'd love to hear more about your business and share some resources to help you get started. What types of products are you selling? Do you have a marketing plan prepared for your store?

onlineshop123
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello, I wanted to install TWINT as payment method and it doesnt work because theres a pop-up that says: App isn’t compatible with your store
TWINT is only compatible with stores that:

- Sell in any of these currencies: CHF

So I sell in Swizerland and my Store adress is also Swizerland, what is wrong? Can you please help me to solve this problem? Thank you.

Best regards

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @onlineshop123.

Thanks for joining the thread and sharing the additional context.

I understand that your store's location is set to Switzerland. However, it's worth noting that the store's currency can be different from the store's location and, as a result, your store's currency may not necessarily be set to CHF. Can you check your store's currency under the Store details settings? 

If your store's currency is not set to CHF and your store hasn't processed any sales yet, then you can change the store currency directly within the settings. However, if your store has already processed an order, then you will need to contact us through the Shopify Help Center in order to change your store's currency. From there, we'd be happy to further assist you through live chats.

That being said, if your store's currency is already set to CHF and you're still experiencing issues with the third-party app, then we'd recommend getting help with third-party apps from the app developers. Simply reach out to the app developer using the contact information found at the bottom of their app's page, or by contacting them through their website. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, then please don't hesitate to let me know!