Shopify repeatedly shuts down stores for no reason

Highlighted
3 0 0

I have had three instances within the past six months where Shopify has shut down my stores for no reason and with no notice.  I have lost out of over $50,000 in revenue because of what they have done, and yet it keeps happening.

The first time was in early April, and I had quickly found an in-demand product, and grew the business from $500 a day to $10,000 a day within a week or so.  Then, all of a sudden, following a $10,000 sale day, Shopify shut down the business with notice.  I contacted them many many times and waited days and days for a response while customers came to me thinking I scammed them and took down the website.  Shopify finally told me they just wanted to do a security check because I was a new seller.  I was infuriated.  That is THE WORST method of conducting a security check. Who in the world thinks that's a good idea??  Hey, our form of security check is just taking down your store without any notice or even an email about a security check and then not respond for almost a week!!  Regardless, I completed the security check, which I figured would validate me in Shopify's system.  

The next incident came 3-4 weeks after, I had found a new niche with a new business and was consistently doing $6000-10000 in sales for almost a week.  I was in the process of changing bank accounts, and at the end of every day, Shopify would come to withdraw their fee from my account, but since I was moving accounts, the account it usually draws from was empty.  Right at midnight, Shopify took down my entire store, after a record sales day of $11,000.  I contact Shopify and they verify that yes, my store was taken down because I missed a payment (and they offered no way to remedy the issue... the chat agent didn't even have the power... what a terrible way of doing things) and was told I'd have a response within 72 hours.

The first thing I did was bring up the fact that, according to the LAW, during COVID19, internet hosting providers were unable to terminate or cancel a client's plan and had to offer a grace period.  As soon as I mentioned this, the story quickly changed to, "your business was successful too fast and we had to check to make sure everything was alright."  You're serious... SUCCESSFUL TOO FAST?   And they penalize people for it?  I then waited for 72 hours, while customers thinking I had scammed them once again, began to start charging back with nothing I could do to stop it.  Even after the promised 72 hours (with numerous follow-ups), Shopify had still not got back to me.  I was thinking I was going to fall terribly into debt because of this and lose everything I had as customers would react.  Finally on the 5th day, after being on the phone for hours, Shopify gave me my store back with basically no real reason given. 

I thought after these major security checks, Shopify would give me more space, as they have verified me multiple times now.

I was proven wrong just today when a new site I was just starting to scale was taken down with no notice (notice a pattern???).   I contacted the chat agent and he was very surprised? and could not even figure out a reason it was taken down.  Once again, I have been told, I will hear back within 72 hours.

Oh, and during these times when Shopify takes down the store, there is NO ACCESS TO ADMIN FEATURES.  No ability to fulfill orders, email customers, manage databases, transfer information.

These policies are beyond ridiculous.  I cannot think of a single other major company that conducts itself in this manner.  It's beyond unprofessional, it's unfair to the clients, and it's absolutely crazy how it's still happening.

0 Likes
Highlighted
19 0 0

hey, I am still trying to figure out how to post but I'm with you. My store was shut down and I hadn't even opened it yet, was still working on it. They are supposed to respond to me, but I just keep waiting. Totally unable to access my account or my Oberlo account either. As soon as I can I am moving to Godaddy ecommerce. Can't even move my domain right now, nothing. So angry, I have wasted a lot of time. Just glad I found out before I opened the store! I have left them a bad review on another site, just to warn people. The support "service" is TERRIBLE! Good luck to you and wish you success with another provider.

0 Likes