Shopify shop as pilot for Amazon FBA products

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello,

I'm running an Amazon FBA business with products from China. 
The challenge when identifying new products is always that you do not know how well the new products will be received by the customer.
Even if I do a lot of market research in advance, I always have products that do not bring the hoped-for sales. This might be an issue since
I have to buy them in large quantities from supplier. My idea would be to use a Shopify shop to evaluate new products before I buy them for my Amazon FBA business.
So first of all I want to see without going into to much risk how well the products sell via the Shopify shop.
In the event of a positive response, I can then order larger quantities from my supplier and sell them on Amazon. What do you think of this strategy? Since I am completely new to Shopify, I wanted to hear your opinion. Many thanks. Best regards, Christian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
43 3 9

I would probably do the opposite. Use Amazon to test products for a Shopify store. Amazon already has tons of traffic, so you can quickly determine which products are popular and which aren't.

Shopify stores almost always struggle to get traffic initially and you typically have to spend a good bit on marketing/advertising to start seeing more traffic. So it would take awhile to see what products sell since you would be getting far fewer visitors. 

Alternatively, you can launch on both platforms at the same time. It's fairly inexpensive (see pricing in this article) and you can automate a lot of things with various Shopify apps. Amazon will even fulfill your Shopify orders for you.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks, I got your point.

However, my biggest challenge is the minimum order quantity that you have with many suppliers. They for example expect from you to but at least 1000 items. This is for me a risk since I do not know if I get the 1000 items sold on Amazon.

With a Shopify shop I do not need to order any good upfront as long as they are not bought. Therefore, the risk of having unsold items in the warehouse is basically not existing.

Therefore, my idea was to start with Shopify as a risk mitigation.

Or do you have a different view?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
43 3 9

Oh, I see. So you would be doing drop shipping with Shopify. Yeah, that makes sense then.

0 Likes