Shopify store in different languages and currencies

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hello,

I would like to have a store in different languages and currencies, by using Langify app. I was thinking about creating a URL redirect.

The store will mainly sale in Sweden at the beginning and hopefully expand others countries in Europe so I was wondering:

• Is it better for SEO to have www.mydomain.se as a domain name and create a URL redirect for english www.mydomain.se/en  or the opposite www.mydomain.com with a URL redirect www.mydomain.com/se ?
  • How will it work with the currency? For example: Can I have a product that cost 12€ in Belgium and 99SEK in Sweden even though the exchange rate is not 8.25?
  • Can I already install payment gateways such as Klarna and Paypal while the store is paused? Can I test orders when the store is still paused?
  • Can I add other online sales channels such as facebook and instagram while the store is paused?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Ben

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2286 152 312

Hi @Ben62,

Nick here from Shopify. Great questions, let's look into answering them below. 

• This completely depends on where you want to focus the targeting of your store on. If you'd like to focus on a broader audience then I would suggest using the .com with the URL redirect for .com/se, but if you'd prefer to focus on Sweden with your SEO, then using the .se would be better. This is mainly because .com is a more universally known domain handle and would be more familiar to a larger audience. Shopify has a helpful guide for SEO within the Shopify admin here as well as a blog post from the content team with a business SEO checklist here
  • Once you set a price for a product in your selected currency, that price would then exchange to another currency from that price. For example, it's not possible to have two different prices for one product. If a product is €12 then it would be the equivalent price in SEK based on what the exchange rate is at that time. There are some currency converter apps in the Shopify App store which might be able to make this a more seamless process in terms of how your customers see the difference in currency on your store. Some of the apps I like for this are Currency Converter Plus, Currency Converter Box and Auto Currency Switcher.  
  • Just to confirm, when you say "while the store is paused" do you mean when it is password protected? If the store is password protected, you should still be able to install a gateway as well as anytime you (the account owner only) has access to the admin settings should be able to add a gateway. In terms of being able to test orders when the store is paused. If your store is only password protected then you should be able to, but if the store is paused or no plan has been chosen yet then it wouldn't be possible as there is no check out on a paused store or a store with no plan chosen yet. 
  • This is quite similar to the answer above. If your admin is open, your store is password protected and you have an active paid plan then you would be able to add any sales channels which are available to your region. 

I hope this helps and answers your questions. If it doesn't or you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reply here and ask me anything. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
6 0 0
Hi Nick,
Thanks for your answer.
I meant that the website is paused in a 14$ plan/month. So you mean that I cannot add a payment gateway, test order and sales channels as long as I have this paused website?
Thanks in advance.

Best
Ben
0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2286 152 312

No problem @Ben62.

With the $14 per month paused plan, you would be able to install the gateways and sales channels but to test any orders you would need to have the basic plan or higher. This is because the checkout is disabled in any plan below the Basic plan. 

Hope this answers your question. 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
183 0 2

You can consider installing Currency Converter Box app. Many merchants trust and use it. However, it hasn't had a fixed exchange rate option yet. Developers are working to release that feature next week. Please wait for it

0 Likes
2 0 0

To add many currencies to your store, you can try out Currency Converter Box for free with these features:

• Convert 164 currencies around the world with a few simple clicks. The exchange rate is updated continuously.
  • Automatically find your customer's location and show the corresponding currency.
  • Show both the original price and the converted price as customer's request. Bring convenience and drive sales.
0 Likes