Should I Dropship or Order Bulk inventory?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Hello guys,

My question is to know if I am better off ordering the inventory and shipping products myself individually to customers using shopify because I've seen many errors from Chinese suppliers.  Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
25 3 5

Hey, @Alphonse6569 

My name is Eunice from the Shopify team, thanks for reaching out! This is a really great question and one that most merchants face at the beginning, and even during their entrepreneurial journey. I know I have!

A good place to start when deciding whether it's best to manage inventory yourself or to dropship is to ask yourself what products you are selling, and who is your target market.

For example, if you're selling hiking gear during the prime hiking seasons of Spring and Summer then it's likely your customers won't want to wait a long time for their order to arrive. They want to be outside enjoying the weather, right? In this situation, you'd be better having the stock on hand ready to send.

Alternatively, if you're selling muslin cloths to a target market of expectant mothers, then they'll be happy to wait up to six weeks because they don't need it urgently. Dropshipping all the way for this one!

If you're not sure who your target market is for your products, I recommend completing the free Niche it! course by Shopify Compass. In this course, you'll learn how to create your ideal customer, and how to find your niche market.

With regards to your concern over error by Chinese suppliers, I recommend reading this blog by Oberlo to learn more about how Covid19 is affecting drop shippers.

But, dropshipping doesn't always mean you have to use apps like Oberlo. You might be able to partner with local businesses to help them sell their products via your site. For example, there is a print shop here in New Zealand partnering with other local businesses to sell their print-on-demand products. By using local drop shippers, you're greatly reducing the shipping time. It's well worth having a look!

I hope this helps, don't hesitate to respond here if you have any questions.

Eunice | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
45 2 12

Hello @Alphonse6569 , of course you can choose to find the warehouse yourself, and then contact the logistics company yourself, but the price of this is to spend a lot of time looking for suppliers and negotiate with them. If a product is a supplier, then you have to find a lot Suppliers, when you have an order, you have to manually write down the customer information and the content of the order, and then send an email to the supplier to let them ship the goods. If you want to do this, of course you can

However, it is the most convenient to place an order directly from the supplier platform that shopify provides APP connection, such as the most popular AliExpress. Although most of the above products are from China, there are also good quality and responsible suppliers. , You can find products with high ratings and many reviews. Generally speaking, they are qualified suppliers. In addition, China's 1688 is also reliable. If you want to connect to 1688, you can check it out here.

In addition, if you no longer need Chinese suppliers, then here are some American suppliers (just you need to contact them separately), you can take a look.

ANTDIY is a dropshipping app that allows you to find all kinds of products to sell online, add them to your Shopify store, and start selling now. Never worry about packaging or shipping, and focus on developing your business.

Directly connected to the Alibaba platform, we provide you with access to billions of products. Our supply chain innovations enable us to offer you good prices by connecting you with suppliers from AliExpress,1688, and other platforms.

ANTDIY provides dropshippers with a one-stop solution to purchase cross-border products as simply and reliably as they do from local quality suppliers.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
32 0 2

Hey @Alphonse6569,

I think you must had a uncomfortable relationship with other Chinese logistics partner, here I will recommend my perfect partner to you. There are satisfying transit time, all-process orders tracking, complete system which will cover all you needs0

His e-mail is zewen.zhong@chukou1.com

Jack 

1 Like
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Alphonse6569 ,

Of course, you can choose to first bulk order inventory, rent a warehouse to stock products, and then contact the logistics company yourself. When you get a sale, you can manually write down the customer's shipping address, send the related product to the logistics company, and then they package your order and ship the parcel to your customer. But the price of this is to spend a lot of money in bulk order, warehouse rent, and the logistics company and spend a lot of time processing each customer's order. 

And as you are pre-stocking inventory, you need to make sure you are selling popular products that won't lead to slow sales. Or it will cost much more money in warehouse renting for a longer time. And it's hard for you to change to another product to sell if the products you are selling now are unsalable. 

However, dropshipping is such an eCommerce business model that can avoid this kind of risk. No need to carry inventory, low risk, less investment. You can run a dropshipping business online from anywhere in the world and sell worldwide and easily switch your selling products at any time.

Although there are some less qualified Chinese suppliers, there are still tons of good quality and responsible suppliers. You can do several types of research and purchase some example products to test the reliability of the suppliers.

Many choices for you, like AliExpress, Banggood, CJDropshipping, etc. 

Use a dropshipping tool like ShopMaster(shopmaster.com) also indeed automates and simplifies your dropshipping work. After determining what you want to sell and which suppliers you want to dropship from, you can use ShopMaster to import and publish in bulk. When you have an order, you just need to click the "Purchase" button then pay for the order on the supplier's website. Then the tracking info will be auto-synced and uploaded to your store once the supplier has shipped it, which streamlines and optimizes your workflow.

❤️ ShopMaster.com - FREE dropshipping solutions
✔️ Import products | Pirce and Inventory Monitor | Auto-order | Auto Fulfillment
☕ Official dropshipping partner of AliExpress, Banggood, CJDropshipping, and Chianbrands
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Thank you so much for this advice really appreciate it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Thank you Jack for your take on this.  But if you don not mind me asking, does your partner work for a sourcing company in China or just help with logistics between drop shippers and reliable suppliers?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
32 0 2

@Alphonse6569 

I got what you mean, I'm not interesting with their China sourcing, because I don't need it actually.

But the most importante is that after my products arrive at their Chinese warehouse, they start to control every thing. And their system can integrate my shopify store, so I can track my orders whenever I want. They are always reliable, I think they make me have more effort in marketing. 

Jack

0 Likes