Should I set my store currency as USD even though I will sell in other markets as well? Bad idea?

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi folks.

I'm somewhat new to Shopify and I am configuring my store right now. Product research and all that is in an advanced stage, I just left the setup of the store itself more towards the end.

I see here that when I am asked to define the "Store currency" there is a warning saying « This is the currency your products are sold in. After your first sale, currency is locked in and can’t be changed. »

I am a bit confused by it. I was planning on selling internationally and to specifically focus on 3 markets initially before expanding marketing strategy: USA, Brazil and Eurozone. Each one of these markets operate with a different currency (US Dollar, Brazilian Real, Euro).

I guess my first question would be: if someone outside the United States visit my store will they only see prices displayed in USD? Can't we set things so that each visitor sees prices and currencies matched to their IP location or another location ID? (and get charged accordingly to price displayed while conversion is operated in the background) Does it even make a big difference which currency I set the store to if it turns out to be possible to display different things to different customers?

And here's another question but in the same spirit:

- I have a ".com" domain to be used with my store. I was planning on having an English version and a Portuguese version of my webstore, so customers in selected markets could all navigate in their native language. Can I set things in such a way that, say, a person entering "mycustomdomain.com" in the United States or Ireland will be directed to an English version (AND different currencies despite same language) while a person in Brazil or Portugal would be directed to a Portuguese version? Like a "geosensitive" forwarding of the store, so to speak.

Or instead should I buy a domain for each country? If that's the case, suppose I buy one ".com", one ".com.br" and one ".pt" domain (for US, Brazil and Portugal, respectivelly). Do I have to create a Shopify account for each language version / currency version / domain or can I manage different versions of the same store all from one centralizing account ?

Thanks for reading. Any help is really greatly appreciated.

IMPORTANT PS: I don't have access to Shopify Payments as my company is registered in Portugal, a country outside the service's list (I'm out of luck as I live in the Eurozone just a few miles from Spain, where it is accepted but for legal reasons I can't register my business there). So unless there is a way to go around that and still get Shopify Payment I guess that can't be a solution for me.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 1

To answer your first question, multi-currency  

Your shop has to accept Shopify payments but other than that it's a very simple setup process.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/multi-currency/setup

I've been in e-commerce ever since Amazons logo was a river ?.
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thanks a lot for your advice. However I just added the following information to my post:

IMPORTANT PS: I don't have access to Shopify Payments as my company is registered in Portugal, a country outside the service's list (I'm out of luck as I live in the Eurozone just a few miles from Spain, where it is accepted but for legal reasons I can't register my business there). So unless there is a way to go around that and still get Shopify Payment I guess that can't be a solution for me.

0 Likes