Sidebar missing in Brooklyn.

Solved
SuzanneOddy1
2 0 0

Hi, 

My sidebar has inexplicably disappeared so I'm unable to navigate past my homepage. I have tried viewing in different screen sizes... hovering the cursor... Nothing. 

Could anybody advise?

0 Likes
neeravmakwana
Shopify Partner
164 29 32

Welcome to Shopify community. Can you please post your site URL, password to access the site and a screenshot indicating the issue. Thanks.

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 68 90

Hey, @SuzanneOddy1!

My name's Ash and I work at Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community! 

I understand the sidebar has recently disappeared from your online store using the Brooklyn theme. I'm happy to take a closer look into this with you to see what may be the problem. In order to get some more context, I have a few questions for you. Could you please reply back here and let me know the following: 

• Prior to the sidebar disappearing, did you make any customizations to your theme? (this includes in the theme customizer and in the code of the theme)?
  • Have you installed any new applications recently? 
  • If you install a fresh version of the Brooklyn theme, does the issue persist when you test your site in that theme? To install a fresh version of Brooklyn, head over to Online Store> Themes, and scroll down to see "Explore Free Themes". Click that, and you can add a fresh, unedited version of Brooklyn to your store test in.

Could you please also send me a link to your site so that I can take a look on my end? If the site is password protected, please take some screenshots or a video recording of the issue and reply back here with those to show me. I look forward to hearing back and further assisting!

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
SuzanneOddy1
2 0 0
  • I had changed my logo prior to the sidebar disappearing
  • Have you installed any new applications recently? No. 
  • If you install a fresh version of the Brooklyn theme... will I lose my customisation if I do this? 

thank you for your help. 
    my page is www.suzanneoddydesign.com 
0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 68 90

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @SuzanneOddy1!

Thank you for getting back to me with that information and the link to your site. Installing a fresh version of the Brooklyn theme will add it to your list of themes in the Online Store> Themes section of your admin. You're able to have a number of themes added to your account, but only one can be active at a time. Installing the fresh version will not affect the customizations you've made on the currently live theme. 

With all that said, I took a look at the link you shared and I believe I've identified the issue. I noticed that while the page was loading, there was a split second where I saw the button to open the sidebar. When I hovered my cursor over that area, I noticed it was clickable and I could open the sidebar menu. Here's a screenshot I took and added a blue square to in order to highlight the clickable area. hiddenbutton.png

My theory is that when adding your logo, you may have inadvertently made the menu buttons transparent. I notice on the right side of your logo there is also a transparent search and cart icon. If this is the case, here's how you can fix it: 

1. Head over to your Online Store > Themes > Click Customize on the theme in question. customize.png

2. Click on the Header section on the left side menu in the theme customizer. This will open the Header options. header.png

3. In the Header options, find the Transparent Header section, and click the icon next to Transparent Header Links and Iconstransparent.png

4. If None is selected, the links and icons in your header will be transparent. To fix this, select another color of your choice. none.png

5. Save the Theme Customizer to apply these changes to your live site. SAVE.png

Please give the above a try, and reply back here to let me know if this resolves the problem. Looking forward to hearing the results! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog