Simple... I just want to update product pricing via CSV

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
132 0 21

It won't update the inventory levels unless you include the inventory column titles.

You do not want the column headings for anything you aren't wanting to change.  Otherwise, it may empty those data fields.

So, if you only empty the values, but left the headings in the sheet, then you may have problems. 

For example, if you just want to change the prices, this is how it should be formatted in Excel:

Annotation 2020-04-09 164830.jpg

If you have variants, then this is how it should be formatted:

Annotation 2020-04-09 165128.jpg

I have done this hundreds of time with no problems.  If you need help, let me know.  More people need to know how to do this.

Shopify expert, software developer and designer.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

So you have to use handle and can't use Variant SKU?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
132 0 21

Handle ALWAYS has to be in the import file.

Your handle could be your SKU if you want, but the first column HAS TO BE named 'Handle" and not have any spaces or special characters in it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi RManke,

Sounds like you might know the definitive answer to this. I need to add SKUs/variant SKUs to all the items in a Shopify account. Right now they're all blank. Is this possible via CSV? I've tried, and the preview appears to show the value in the file, but it doesn't actually add it. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
132 0 21

It will definitely work.  It's possible the column headings don't have the exact same spelling?

If you contact me, and get me your sample files, I can help debug.

Or you could post a screenshot here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you. I figured out which field was missing. Quick question though. If I only include two or three fields in the import, are they the only fields affected? I didn't include the Description (body html) field in the first one and the preview showed the Description field blank.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
132 0 21

Yes, that is something that is not well documented.  I believe the ONLY mandatory fields, are the handle and the title.  Everything else is ignored unless you include it in the CSV file.

And, if you DO include it in the CSV file, it will be the only fields affected upon the import.  This is the secret sauce to being able to manage your products like a pro!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Excellent. Thanks, Ron.

PS - I'll reach out directly if/when our customers need help in the future.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 10

@rmanke 

Just to add to your solution - When you upload your new CSV your preview will look similar to this
upload preview.png

The blanks will not be overwritten or replaced with "blank" info

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Please rmanke enlighten us on how to do this. I have pretty much wasted an entire day trying.

0 Likes