Simple exchange?!?!

Tourist
12 0 7

We have a customer who ordered through our online store that wishes to exchange for a different size.  She has sent back the original item and we need to ship out the correct size but cannot find a means to do this in Shopify.

It seems like I should be able to use the Refund feature to return the original item but that would refund to their credit card and tie up those funds for several days until the refund is processed by the credit card company. Additionally, there is no way to print a new shipping label for the new size to be sent.

I've seen conversations here saying it should be a multi-step process of refunding the original order and then have the customer place a brand new order for the new size. This is completely unacceptable to put the burden on the customer.

Why on earth doesn't an ecommerce retail application not have any functionality for hte most basic of retail transactions?!?!?  And no, paying for a third-party app to resolve this lack of functionality is also unacceptable. We're already paying Shopify a couple hundred a month to not be able to perform basic retail functions...

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
87 0 14

Hi there,

A method I see merchants use a lot is to refund the order but when you're choosing the dollar amount to refund, choose $0.00. This will allow the product's inventory to be properly restocked.

Then go into your order page from the admin and create a order with the new product, this will allow you to mark the order as paid and also create a shipping label to send to the customer. 

Hope this helps :)

Calen T 

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 7

I will try that. 

Is there a reason there is not a basic exchange function in a software platform designed for retail? It's probably the second most used transaction other than a sale...  Seems pretty vital to be missing from the tool.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 13

Thank you for asking this question, I agree, it should be a simple process! Frustrating when they offer so many simple solutions and yet one that is a vital part of the e-commerce retail business is not a simple option, nor has a single, simple solution been presented yet. In order to ship a return we should not have to refund, then create a new order, just a waste of time.  

3 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 13

Here I am a year later looking to see if a solution to this problem has been worked out and all I find are outdated posts, some dating back FOUR years asking for a simple exchange option.  January of 2014 a shopify guru stated it was in the works, 4 years later still nothing.  Come on shopify, you built a platform geared toward e-commerce retail businesses but still have not solved one of the most common retail transactions.  What a frustration!

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

true. we need exchange feature 

1 Like
Tourist
8 0 5

It's really ridiculous. The amount of workarounds that we have to perform just for the simplest of retail functions is mind-boggling. At this point, I think the themes and the POS system is the only reason we stick around. If Square would come out with a viable ecommerce solution, we'd be gone tomorrow.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Have you tried the "Exchange It" app? It's pretty basic, but works really well for even exchanges. We use it all the time.

0 Likes