Site not showing when www isn't typed

Louise_Mead
Tourist
4 0 3

EDIT: MY QUERY HAS BEEN RESOLVED, PLEASE DON'T SEND ME ANY MORE SALES EMAILS.  THANK YOU. 

Hi there, I've had a look through the forums but I wasn't able to find any posts that were easy to understand (it might be me being cotton-wool headed!), so I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.  

I've noticed that when you type in my web address without the www, it doesn't bring up my site - just the following error:

"This site can’t be reached

louisemead.co.uk’s server DNS address could not be found.

• Try running Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"

I realise it's probably something I need to change in the settings, but I haven't been able to find out what or where I can change them.  So I was wondering if someone could help me answer the following questions:

1. Is this a setting I need to change in Shopify, or with my domain provider?  
  2. If Shopify, where do I go to do this?  And is there a guide on what to change and how?
  3. If my domain provider, is there any guidance I can read before I attempt it?

My URL is as follows, in case that helps:

http://www.louisemead.co.uk/

The one I'm having problems with is http://louisemead.co.uk/ 

The reason I'm asking this is because I know a lot of people just type the domain without www these days, and I don't want to lose traffic.  

Thanks for your help. :) 

0 Likes
Wes_Grasty
Shopify Expert
35 0 4

Louise,

Most likely your DNS is not set up correctly or it could be the Domain Shopify setting - I would try that first.  If you go to Online Store > Domains and then make sure you have louisemead.co.uk in there and then set it to redirect to www.  Contact me directly if you still have questions.

Louise_Mead
Tourist
4 0 3

Thanks Wes, spot on that fixed the problem.  :) 

0 Likes
sharmaj
1 0 0

hi 

my site www.anaashina.com 

doesn't work when "www" is not typed

I have redirection enabled

please assist

0 Likes