Sitemap.xml couldn't fetch

PopCultDesignz
Visitor
2 0 0

I've looked and searched all over the net and i just don't understand or have the ability to fix this issue. I've resubmitted the sitemap a couple times and it keeps coming up as couldn't fetch and the type is unknown. I have input some url's in manually and had them indexed and they show as valid. I search in google "popcultdesignz" and my site is no where to be found. Only if i put the entire address does it show up. 1 or 2 pages might be in the search results but thats about it. ive tried both on the old console version and the new, still no improvement. Its been like this since the 12/02/19. I dont have the knowledge to be able to fix this on my own and i need the communities help.

thanks guys

website - https://popcultdesignz.com/

Replies 23 (23)

ericav24
Visitor
2 0 2

Hello, were you able to find a fix to the "couldn't fetch" sitemap error?

I submitted mine on 2/24 and still says "couldn't fetch", I followed the instructions exactly.

Does anyone have any advice how to fix this?

www.hthdesigns.com

Thanks!

Erica

PopCultDesignz
Visitor
2 0 0
I still haven't found a solution yet. Have you had any luck?
ericav24
Visitor
2 0 2
Yes, there was a new option to select the property type by "Domain" rather
than just URL prefix.

>From the google search console, click on the drop down arrow next to your
URL address, then click Add Property. Select the Domain property type and
follow those instructions.

This worked for me, good luck!
Phi66
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, 

Did you find an other solution ?

I added the 2 properties, domain and URL and my sitemap still unknown.

Everything works but I still have Sitemap.xml couldn't fetch.

Thanks

Phi

EurekaSup
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi,

I tried checking and i did have the property type set to domain.  My issue is that it gets the main sitemap.xml but the 'sub' sitemaps are down as couldn't fetch... anyone got any other ideas?

https://eurekasupplements.com

Michael

Ryusky
Visitor
1 0 0
Hi anyone has another solution yet? Google can index my pages but just cant fetch my sitemap. Im sure i upload the correct sitemap link
NinjaVanSG
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi all,

On my end, sitemap.xml and sitemap products (sitemap_products_1.xml) successfully uploaded and understood by Google.

But the sitemap pages (sitemap_pages_1.xml) really gives me a hard time. "couldn't fetch" status for weeks. Sent a manual sitemap notification to Google, still can't fetch. 

Have been through loads of topics without a proper answer - anyone to help ?

Thanks!

c2cpoppers
Visitor
1 0 1

I know this was posted over a year ago.. but THANK YOU.  This worked for me!

DodoMarket
Visitor
2 0 0

Same story - sitemap_products_1.xml could not fetch. Theoretically, one may manually submit products for indexing, but it will take too much time. Anybody from Experts could look into this? Thanks!
https://dodomarket.mu  

CatifyCatShop
Tourist
5 0 1

Any progress on this?? added multiple properties i.e all variations of my site. Still can't fetch  the site map.

Splodge1
Excursionist
15 0 3

Same here sitemap_products_1.xml could not fetch if there are more than 5000 products, sitemap_products_2.xml loads ok

Terrible_Tiki
Visitor
1 0 2

Add at least (1) of everything, collections blogs etc. I was having the same problem and didn't have any blog posts. As soon as I created one the sitemap fetched just fine. Apparently there is some kind of glitch in the sitemap generator.

CarlsGoods
Visitor
1 0 0

TerribleTiki's suggestion to add a blog post was my solution - Thanks!

@Terrible_Tiki wrote:

Add at least (1) of everything, collections blogs etc. I was having the same problem and didn't have any blog posts. As soon as I created one the sitemap fetched just fine. Apparently there is some kind of glitch in the sitemap generator.

claudek
Visitor
2 0 1

It is probably a bug in Google.

Check this article.

At half article, it tells you exactly how to find out if it is a bug or not.

Hope it helps.

thank you

NinjaVanSG
Visitor
2 0 0

@claudek wrote:

It is probably a bug in Google.

Check this article.

At half article, it tells you exactly how to find out if it is a bug or not.

Hope it helps.

thank you

Which article ?

German_324
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I submitted the sitemaps listed in the DOMAIN/sitemap. xml page.

After submitting them, the DOMAIN/sitemap. xml status changed from Couldn't Fetch to Success.

I had the following sitemaps listed:

DOMAIN/sitemap_products_1. xml?from=3930877821031&to=3933632430183
DOMAIN/sitemap_pages_1. xml
DOMAIN/sitemap_collections_1. xml
DOMAIN/sitemap_blogs_1. xml

I hope it helps!

German Diaz
Marketing Optimization For SMBs & Entrepreneurs
324Marketing.com
pwong
Tourist
8 0 5

Okay, so I think I got this to work but not sure if it is the right way but all I did was remove "_1" from the url and submited "/sitemap_pages.xml".

It registered and is marked as "Success".

🙂 

Teo111
Visitor
1 0 0

worked for me. Thanks

AdeleSOQ
Visitor
2 0 0

@pwong wrote:

Okay, so I think I got this to work but not sure if it is the right way but all I did was remove "_1" from the url and submited "/sitemap_pages.xml".

It registered and is marked as "Success".

🙂 

Thanks! It worked for me.

It is successful to submit the sitemap ("/sitemap_pages.xml") in this way, but it seems that it cannot views the index coverage.

Don’t know how to solve it. (so not really success?)
Anybody have found a more efficient way to solve it? 

Josh_Uebergang
Shopify Expert
1012 43 268

Do you have any pages created in Shopify that are published? Can you view the sitemap URLs yourself? Confirming these two things first are common ways to solve non-existent sitemaps.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
angebrew
Visitor
1 0 1

This just worked for me to. Thanks.

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 71

@PopCultDesignz I've been having the same issue on several of my clients' Shopify sites for nearly a year. GSC is successfully fetching and processing the sitemap index + all of its associated Product/Collection/Blog sitemaps, but it refuses to fetch the Pages sitemap.

I've tried several fixes and monitored them continuously, but none have worked.... until @pwong suggested removing the "-1" from the end of the sitemap URL and submitting it. For some reason that unfortunately I can't explain, it works. In the example below, this site has 35 URLs, 8 of which are Shopify "pages," yet none are being discovered from within the main /sitemap.xml index file. But as soon as I submitted the /sitemap_pages.xml file (without the "-1"), Google finally discovered the 8 pages I've been wanting them to discover 🙂 

shopify couldnt fetch sitemap issue solved.jpg

NOTE 1:  As @Terrible_Tiki and @Josh_Uebergang both correctly pointed out, you'll have problems submitting your Pages sitemap if you don't have at least 1 Page set to "visible" status. So that may also be the issue. It depends on your unique situation. 

NOTE 2: It's not necessarily the end of the world if GSC says it's having trouble fetching your sitemap, so don't panic if you're having trouble submitting URLs to Google. Google has numerous ways to discover your URLs, and a sitemap is only one. If you do a site: search for your domain in Google and see the URLs you're missing, congratulations (!) your pages are indexed and available to rank. The same is true if you use the GSC Coverage Report and find these pages under the Valid > Indexed, not submitted in sitemap report. 

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!
mydnytblu
Tourist
10 0 3

This worked for me.  When I submitted DOMAIN/sitemap.xml I got the "couldn't fetch" error.  After I submitted DOMAIN/sitemap_pages.xml then the status for BOTH sitemaps changed to success.

mydnytblu_0-1597859395568.png