Solving domain email problems with A, CNAME and MX configurations

Highlighted
1 0 6

Hi everyone!

I might have discovered a way to solve the email problems you could be facing when you changed the CNAME of your main domain to yourshopname.myshopify.com. I'm here to share with you how you can solve it for yourself.

Please follow the steps below and try to see if it works out for you because it did for me.

DO REMEMBER WHAT YOU HAVE CHANGED SO THAT YOU CAN REVERT BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS IF YOU NEED TO. You will be responsible for any changes that you make to your website.

1. In your cpanel go to "Advanced DNS Zone Editor"

2. If you think you have edited your "Zone File Records" settings wrongly previously and you want to start from a clean slate, then go on and click the "Reset Zone File" near the top of the page. If you do not wish to, you can skip this step.

3. Now take a look at your "Zone File Records". If your mail.yourdomain.com still has the type CNAME, change it to A by clicking "Edit", and change its "Record" with the same IP address of cpanel.yourdomain.com.

4. Change the IP address of yourdomain.com to 204.93.213.45 as instructed in the Shopify tutorial.

5. Click home and go to MX Entry. If you cannot find it go to the "Find" bar and type "MX Entry".

6. If you have a yourdomain.com in the MX Records, delete it, and replace it with mail.yourdomain.com with priority 0. Email routing should be at "Automatically Detect Configuration".

7. Test whether your email works by sending a dummy mail using your alternative email to it.

The rest of the steps to redirect yourshop.myshopify.com to the name of your primary domain is already covered in the Shopify tutorial. Do check that out if you have not.

Those are the exact steps that I did and it worked for me. I hope it will work for you too.

Do give me feedback on how it goes so I know that it helps!

To your success.

Zulfarhan Dino

6 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Far Out!   I've been struggling to figure this out. Shopify Guru's don't have a clue how to handle this!

Thanks!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Thank you very much. You are the best! Save my life with this trick.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This is an old post, but it solved my issue with using my Hostgator account for email!  

So glad I found this!!!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I can confirm that this fix works. Your a big help, thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

If you are migrating to a new web hosting provider, the info in the original post is accurate — I found that I only needed to do Step 3 (if mail.yourdomain.com has the type CNAME, change it to A by clicking "Edit", and change its "Record" with the same IP address of cpanel.yourdomain.com).

Seems my old web host provider actually used CNAME with yourdomain.com in the "Records" field as the way to make this third-party email hosting setup work, but the new host uses the method described in the original post. 

When they migrated my settings, it pulled the old CNAME setup over. 

Thank you for sharing this!

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Thank you so much! Now my mails are flowing again! :)

If you have already connected your domain to Shopify, then these steps only are needed:

3. Now take a look at your "Zone File Records". If your mail.yourdomain.com still has the type CNAME, change it to A by clicking "Edit", and change its "Record" with the same IP address of cpanel.yourdomain.com.

6. If you have a yourdomain.com in the MX Records, delete it, and replace it with mail.yourdomain.com with priority 0. Email routing should be at "Automatically Detect Configuration".

In my case all Shopify related DNS records looks like this:

(cPanel hosting platform)

NameTTLClassType
Record 
mydomain.com.300INA
23.227.38.65 (Shopify's IP)
www.mydomain.com.300INCNAME
shops.myshopify.com
mydomain.com.300INMX
Priority: 0
Destination: mail.mydomain.com
mail.mydomain.com.300INA
XX.XX.XXX.XXX (My server IP)

(You can increase TTL after everything is working)

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

After those steps it seems that I can receive email again but I can't send using gmail because it won't connect to SMTP server which is mail.mydomain.com. The funny thing is that webmail from the hosting provider works for sending email. What am I missing?

0 Likes
4 0 0

It doesn't work

0 Likes