Someone Please Explain Store Speed !

Solved
Mad_Modeler
Explorer
114 1 16

I'm getting the impression that "Store Speed" is a load of snake oil.

Without touching anything in my store, no new products, blog entries, app installs  not a thing, yet my store speed dropped by eleven points in 2 days !

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
853 74 215

Hi @Mad_Modeler,

If you're testing your store's speed through a third-party speed-test website, the results should generally be taken with a pinch of salt. The results from these sites are often inaccurate and are generally do not take into account all the factors that dictate the speed of your site if it's hosted by Shopify. My general advice would be to access the storefront yourself on multiple browsers, devices, and connections to see for yourself how fast or slow your site us, and to even ask friends and family to view the site and let you know how fast everything load and how responsive the storefront is. This gives you more of a "real world" indication at how fast your site is operating.

I would recommend checking out our documentation on improving your online store speed, which provides guidance on how you can ensure your site is running as fast as possible whilst also outlining which factors are out of your control. 

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Mad_Modeler
Explorer
114 1 16

I'm going by the speed that Shopify tells me under the Online Store page.

I have previously read the text in the link you give, and it makes it as clear as mud.

It does not explain, ( and neither have you) why the store speed fluctuates so much when there are no revisions or additions, all I can surmise from that is that the Shopify servers have more to do with store speed, than apps or images.

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
853 74 215

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Mad_Modeler,

The number may fluctuate slightly, is generally best used as a general guide on how fast your store operates in comparison with other stores on Shopify. You can view your store's speeds over the previous 7 or 30 days to see a bigger picture, and you'll likely see more of a steady trend rather than significant changes over a longer period of time.

In general, ecommerce stores will load slower than most, as they typically come with more features and functionalities required for processing sales online. However, the biggest cause of site slowdowns is due to too many apps being run on the store, as well as using too many large images on the storefront. The score you see when you check in your admin is based on Google Lighthouse performance metrics.

The link I shared above includes information on a number of the most common factors that may affect store speed. Shopify's servers are unlikely to cause any serious fluctuations with regards to store speed; you can read more about some of the work done by Shopify to increase store speeds for our merchants here.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes