Someone said my store is a scam and fake

Highlighted
43 0 0

I use AliExpress as a vendor and someone bought 50 of the dog art pillow cases. The order total was almost $500. The buyer is from Kosovo. I log into Shopify to look at the order but the buyer did not submit the payment. It showed the payment as pending. I see a message from Shopify saying "there is a payment to be captured". I had no idea what that meant. I've never seen that before.

I then see a private message on my store's Facebook page from this person. I can tell he needed to continue to learn English. The message said. "I do not buy. Your store is scam. A fake." I responded that I did not appreciate by store being a fake or scam. I then flagged his message as spam and blocked him on Facebook. Seeing there was an issue with his payment, as far as I was concerned, this could have been a fake order.

I canceled the order and blocked his IP address. 

I have sold some products, not a whole lot, but some. If my store was a fake then Shopify would have shut me down a long time ago.

someone from Kosovo buying 50 of the dog art pillow cases sounded weird. I wonder if he was going to resell them and make a profit by "stealing" them from me using a fake payment.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 14

Hi Karin,

I'm Maggie, a Shopify Guru. :)

I'm sorry to hear about this experience with your customer. It can certainly be tricky to identify fraud, but we have a helpful doc that details how our Order Risk Analysis works here if you should receive future orders that you aren't sure about. 

Further, you mentioned that the buyer did not submit payment and Shopify had a message that said "there is a payment to be captured." If you have a regular payment gateway that accepts credit cards, this message would mean that your Payment Settings are set to "manually capture payments" rather than "automatically capture payments." I would suggest reading through this doc about capturing payments, which will explain what these settings mean and how to change them. 

If your payment settings are currently set to manually capture the payment, you would need to click on the "capture" button in the order details to capture the funds, and thus proceed with the order.

I hope this helps! You can also contact support 24/7 for further questions!

0 Likes
Highlighted
43 0 0

Hi Maggie

I looked at my payment settings and they are set up to automatically capture payments. Then maybe this buyer used a fake credit card or something about his payment method failed the risk level. I use Shopify payments so there was probably something that the buyer used to pay that Shopify payments didn't like.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

bro ur to way unprofessional,what if he had a kid an ordered it by a mistake,and cancelled it.Im from Kosovo and people that write like that try to tell u that something went wrong,what a stupid person

0 Likes