Sort collection order by Published or Last Modified Date

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 4

Is this possible without making a custom collection? I know this has been asked a few times but I don't see any answers. For our purposes, every time we receive certain SKUs which we have used in the past, we take new photos and add new content to the listing. The only way to get these to pop back up at the top of our new arrivals collection is to delete the old product from shopify and then re-add it, which seems like bad SEO first of all, and in general is not a clean way to do it, and sometimes causes us to double-list skus.

Also, is this even possible with a custom collection? We're already using power tools so we don't want to change our entire tag/navigation system for such a seemingly simple missing feature.

Has anyone found any workarounds to this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
603 30 96

Hi, Peter!

My name is Ava, I’m one of Shopify’s Gurus and I’m here to help :)

Just so I'm clear, you have a New Arrivals collection and would like any product where you add a new variant to automatically go to the top of this collection? At the moment, you can sort your collections in the admin with the following options:

01-39-jzlvy-ttv3r

So I'm afraid there is no option at the moment to sort by Last Edited/Modified or Newly updated. The only other way to get a feature that is not available in the Shopify admin is to use an app. But if you are already using Power Tools, then there may not be a way for you to do this.

I do think this is a great idea though, and one I'm sure many other merchants would find very beneficial. I'd like to send this over to our development team to see if this can be a possible feature of the admin in the future. I can submit this request to be reviewed internally by the team, this way they can assess the need and benefit to merchants of this feature. While we would not have a specific timeline for how long this review might take, or if it will become a feature, you can definitely keep an eye on our announcements page. We will post any new updates or developments there!

In the meantime, could you use the 'sort manually' option in the collection as a workaround? This way, you can click on the most recently modified item in the collection and drag it to the top of the sort order. So you should still have control over how the items are displayed without having to delete and re-add.

Let me know what you think!

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 4

Thanks Ava, yes we're already using an app and it's not an available option theireeither.

having it sort by "published date" would be the best way probably.

And for us it's not about adding a new variant, we sell a lot of "one of a kind" items so we re-take pictures and essentially "relist" them each time we receive them. So in order for them to pop back to the top of "newest arrivals" we need to delete the original product from shopfiy and re-add it. If we were able to just change the publish date and sort that way, it would be a lot simpler!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
603 30 96

Thanks so much for clarifying!

In that case, editing the publish date and sorting this way wouldn't be possible. We wouldn't be able to edit the publish date at all, it would be a limitation of the platform. For the moment, sorting the products manually would be the best option rather than having to delete and re-add whenever you update a product. I know it is not the best answer, but it would be the best workaround here!

I can still submit this request as a future feature on your behalf though. Hopefully, a better workflow will be available for you at that stage.

Let me know what you think!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 4

Well for the record, the publish date is edit-able in the UI right on the product page, so it's definitely possible to edit the publish date. it's odd that it's not just as simple as using a different date string for the sorting, since the platform has no problem sorting by the created date.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Please can you submit this feature request as this really is an essential we really need!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
603 30 96

Hey again, @Peter_Mendola !

So sorry for the delayed response here. The publish date you can edit here would be to set this product to be visible on the online store at a selected date in the future:

11-23-yrvch-dtd5y

The Sort By option would not pull products based on this date, it would pull the products for the date it has been created. However, I wanted to follow up here with yourself and @JB14 to let you guys know that I've submitted that request for you! Hopefully, you will have more option to sort the collections by in the future.

Thanks so much for your patience here!

Ava

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
48 1 13
Hallo all. I'm on the same point. This is quite important especially for saving time. I'm also a "one of a kind" seller and I need to update only the images. But to manually sort is not an option I can consider.
Please yes. Get this in. I moved my shop recently to shopify. I like it. But more I got into the moving I saw a lot of lacking essential things like this. Not talking about the missing captcha on forms, editing urls up to the root and so one.

Yes this is a must have

Thanks
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
83 3 8

Hello there,

We just added a feature to sort your existing collections by either updated or published date to our app Advanced Collections - 

https://apps.shopify.com/advanced-custom-collections

There is a 7 day free trial so do try it out, and hope it solves the issue. Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
48 1 13

Some news on this? Yet another basic feature which is missing! Why should we add plenty of apps which slow down the site?

And yes i confirm. One of a Kind sellers like me would like to keep the indexed urls and saved products only by changing the pictures which saves a lot of time.

Right now i have to duplicate the product , add the new pictures, delete the old product, customize the url in the new copy of the duplicated product.

A REAL TIME SAVER. Only because of it is sorting by created and not by published or modified? So if there is no deep sense because it has to be created it could be published which should satisfy all IMHO.

Regards

1 Like