Spam Customer Accounts

Shopify Partner
19 0 4

Hi! I am looking for a little help and after searching the discussions and finding similar topics that were unsolved I'm posting my own.

I am segmenting my customer list for some targeted emails and while doing so noticed a large amount of what has to be spam accounts. I've seen no way (so far) that anyone has been able to prevent them so I'm going the other route, is there an app or service that will scan/go through your accounts and flag or delete the spam accounts? I started purging them myself but realized I could be at it for the next year and never get them all manually.

I appreciate the help! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
87 9 13

Hey @Kristy_Dalman,

It can be a real frustration receiving numerous new accounts who all appear to be spam, as opposed to legitimate customers. It's an issue merchants may come across and if you're helping build stores for people you may well have seen this more than once. Shopify does have CAPTCHA technology present on forms such as the newsletter or customer account sign ups, however they will only generate when multiple attempts to enter data into the field are made from the same IP - having it appear by default would make it more difficult for real customers to enter information into forms, which of course is something we'd want to avoid.

However, there is an app called Shop Protector which offers added protection against spam sign ups, amongst some other security-related features. The app costs $4.99 a month and comes with a 14-day free trial so you can install it and test it out for a couple of weeks before you are charged anything. I'd recommend checking out the app page for a full breakdown of what it offers, plus you can also read some reviews to see how other merchants who use the app feel about it.

I hope this helps, Kristy, but if you have more questions please let us know!

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
19 0 4

Thanks, Victor, I'll look at those for prevention of future accounts but what I'm looking for help with now is sifting out the accounts that have already been made. Is there an app/program/service that will scan a csv or excel or just what Shopify already has and flag or give me a list of *existing accounts*, maybe based on their @spam.com email domain, to look at to see if its spam or not? 

There are apps that segment your list on sales/orders/etc it doesn't seem to be a big leap to segment by suspicious emails. I am trying to segment my customer list to send out some targeted emails but spam accounts are hindering this process.

If there isn't a pre-existing app that does this, is there someone who could be recommended to create one? It seems very much needed by the forum conversations I've looked at for help with this.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
87 9 13

Hi @Kristy_Dalman,

I've gone ahead and checked our App Store to see if there are any apps that may have offered any post-sign up spam filtration but it doesn't look like there are any that would provide you with the functionality you're looking for. It can be tough to automate this process as quite often spam sign ups are not immediately identifiable or do not share similarities with one another, so it proves difficult to only remove spam accounts and not any legitimate ones. I would encourage you to check the addresses you believe to be spam and see if there are any patterns - such as addresses coming from the same @domain and similar number strings in the email usernames - so you can manually delete these en masse.

You mentioned you were looking to segment your customer list and send out some targeted emails, so one thing I will suggest is checking out any spam segmentation features your marketing communication service might have. Which service or app do you use?

If you were using the Klaviyo app on Shopify, for example, you could check out their guide here on removing spam traps and segmenting emails based on certain filters you can add. Other marketing tools may offer similar anti-spam features so it's worth looking into that and seeing what options are available to you there, or feel free to let me know what your current set up is and I'll take a look and see what might be available to you.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
104 6 19

Hi Kristy,

I can think of a way to accomplish this but it's a multistep process reminiscent of a Rube Goldberg device. :D

1. Export all your customer email addresses to a CSV.

2. Run CSV through a service like Clean Talk. https://cleantalk.org/spambots-check

3. Take resulting CSV of spam emails and update customer records with a tag or metafield using an import tool. Custom Fields by Bonify could accomplish this as a metafield on the customer.

4. Using Arigato, make an on-demand batch that deletes all customers with the spam tag or metafield. 

1 Like
Shopify Partner
19 0 4

Thanks John! I really don't mind going thru them by hand but dang if having some help knowing what to look at would be wonderfully welcome. I will take your Rube Goldberg device, and gladly! Its really what I was looking for.

I'm just getting started with it, Victor, and I'm using Segmentify and Mailchimp.

1 Like