Spam bots

2 0 0

Did you ever resolve this?

0 Likes
Excursionist
48 0 10

Other similar forum threads say that an app can fix the problem.

My me thinks that this is a basic service that Shopify needs to fix as part of platform integrity.

Rob 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 2

Hi, I have not resolved it because the only answers and paid apps and quite frankly, that is open to abuse. Anyone could be running signup bots and selling the solution as a way of making money for both them and shopify - it's wrong. This is something every store faces and something shopify should not use to make money.

1 Like
Excursionist
21 0 4

My store has only been open 3 weeks, had no problem with spam bots, but as soon as purchased an recommended review app in shopify app store, yesterday I noticed over 70 spam comments on blog (thankfully had set to pre-approve) - I didn't even notice they were there.  As soon as deleting them, new ones arriving.  Called shopify and told they are spam bots subscribing to newsletter and then leaving comments in blog.  But it is obvious names like  EvvxH3dopppHwxxxx with seemingly real emails is spam.  Shopify assured shop is safe but recommended purchasing an app.

To be honest, I have loved shopify so far, but now I am beginning to question it's service as I would expect spam filtering to be automatically integrated into the system that requires secure security, I am now here wondering if problems are being created in order to get us to keep purchasing apps.

Purchased 1 app, start to get spam bots recommended to purchase another app.  For now as a new shop just delete these fake subscribers/customers and hope shopify integrates spam filtering before it becomes a bigger problem.

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 2

Afraid not! Deleted loads daily. 

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 2

I don't really want to be adding loads and loads of apps for things that Shopify should really be dealing with.

2 Likes
3 0 0

After launching a Shopify app called Cart Insights that uses webhooks, we have also noticed that some Shopify shops are receiving a large amount of bot traffic.  That bot traffic is certainly disrupting our app's functionality and I'm sure that the Shopify network teams are tasked with monitoring and improving the situation.  For now, webhooks are being generated and sent to us for any and all bot shopping cart adds, and we hope that Shopify will make some changes soon so that webhooks are only generated for legitimate customers.  We have seen volumes of several thousand bot cart adds per hour for some of our customer's shops, and we assume that those are filtered out from the conversion funnel in the Shopify admin dashboards and reporting, however webhooks are still being fired off for subscriptions for all of them.  We would be interested to know what that bot traffic looks like from the Google Analytics side and the Shopify Reporting side for affected shops.  Here is a post about the cart bot activity from our perspective:

https://onspruce.com/Cart-Bots/

0 Likes