Spending tons of $$$ on ads and no sales, just some abandoned carts

Karin_Bauer1
43 0 0

My store is https://www.wildpetstyles.com

I'm spending a bundle on Facebook/Instagram ads and on Google adwords. I've gotten a large number of site visits, many likes to my Facebook page, some abandoned carts, but no sales. I have an app that sends emails to recover abandoned carts, but they have not been working.

I changed the theme a few times, I keep adding new products. I use dropshipping and add products with Oberlo. I also hire graphic designers on Fiverr.

What is stopping people from buying? Are they just "window shopping?" If they didn't like my products then they wouldn't click the link to the facebook ad or add products to the cart in the first place. why the abandoned carts? Something is stopping customers in their tracks but I can't pinpoint what it is. I tried to make the checkout process simple, especially for a mobile phone.

0 Likes
Brandon_Eley
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

My guess is you probably have a very small number of add to carts, too low to really convert. Only about 2% of all visitors will convert (on a great website). Average cart abandonment rates are around 68%. There are many factors that cause visitors to abandon, including high shipping costs, lack of trust in the brand/store, unclear or long shipping timeline, etc. 

How are you targeting people on Facebook/Instagram? By default, people on Facebook/Instagram have very low purchase intent. They're not seeking your product out already, so converting them on the first visit is very difficult. Instead, a lot of merchants run campaigns on FB/IG to build their email list, get page likes, etc. Then you have some way to market to them in the future.

You can use content marketing like videos, articles, etc. to get them back to your site, and when they are interested in purchasing, you'll get the sale. You could write posts like "Top 10 Christmas gifts for Pug lovers." You get the idea. You could do videos with the same kind of content. 

0 Likes
Abdul1
Tourist
74 0 2

Hi,

Never pay more on ads, unless you're an entreprise. If you're a startup first focus on gaining attention of other, simple marketing will work for now until the word goes out and sales get to increase. If you're more greedy then you can use ads which isn't worth for conversions.

Thank you

Best Regards,

Yaali Inventory Management Software

Thanks and Best Regards, Abdul
0 Likes
mara1
Shopify Partner
15 0 2

I suggest you invest your money in a new design instead of ads. When I first landed on your website I thought you were an equestrian club or you're selling horses. Then I saw other animals and got even more confused.  When I scrolled down then I saw some random products. 

You need better branding, copyright, user-experience and theme. 

Mara99.com
0 Likes
nickbram_1986
15 0 0

Hi, 

If you need professional help, let me know.

I can kick start it.

0 Likes
Karin_Bauer1
43 0 0

I don't see how a store name called "Wild Pet Styles" could be a website for an equestrian club or selling horses. I have horse-themed products and some equestrian-designed shirts, but I also have dog and cat themed items (the word "pet" in the title should be a clue)

0 Likes
Karin_Bauer1
43 0 0

@nickbram.1986@gmail.com . Show me how

0 Likes
nickbram_1986
15 0 0

Hi karin, 

do you have a skype or email where we can talk ?

or pls text me 315-625-1417

0 Likes
Cody1
Tourist
37 0 2

Karin,

The idea is good but you're a little broad here. You have focused on stuff for people, which is good. Many make the mistake of selling shirts for people and pet supplies for the pets, but that is also too broad. Your broad issue is that you are trying to cover 3 niches when you need to focus on one sub-niche.

Imagine you own a golden retriever and you stumble upon wildpetstyles.com. "Oh cool, a dog section. Wait, there's no golden retriever stuff. Bye!". You wasted money on ads getting them there with 0% chance of ever converting them. Maybe they have a rottweiler. You have to hope and pray that rottweiler owner loves that one mug you have for rottweilers which they probably won't. 

You're way too broad. You need something like "apparel and accessories for boston terrier owners" and just get a bunch of shirts and cellphone cases with boston terriers on them or whatever. Cats are really saturated, so you could try "phone cases and mugs for sphynx owners" to narrow it down. Horses might be niche enough in itself to not bother with specific breeds but I don't know. You get the point.

You can't do all three of these or you will fail because it's too broad. Take it from me and my 2 previously failed shopify stores. I lost tons of money because I went too broad. When I went super sub niche it made targeting my customer 10x easier because I knew exactly who to market to. Getting sphynx cat owners will be cheaper to get to your sphynx cat store and 10x more likely to convert than throwing a giant net at horse lovers, cat lovers, and dog lovers who are each looking for one specific breed in only one of those categories and they'll only find one, two, or zero products to choose from in that breed.

Sorry for the tough love, but you people need it or you, like everyone else, will just stubbornly keep going with what you have and sink yourself into a broke depression. If you want to learn how to get your shopify store from $0 to $200 a day in less than 5 days, watch this free webinar. It helped me make a profitable store after two failed stores and I know it can help you.

Best of luck!
-Cody

0 Likes
Karin_Bauer1
43 0 0

Cody

when i first started my store, it was just on horses (the store had a different name then) and I had the same issue then as I do now. 

I targeted just the horse audience for FB ads and same thing, people responded to the ads, such as viewing it or hitting “like” but no conversions.

I was persuaded to add dogs and cats to make it a pet lovers store rather just on horses. I was told “people want dog and cat designs, not horses”. I am a horse lover and rider and I did not want to give up the horse niche.

ive actually stopped FB ads because not only was it throwing money away, it is because people don’t get on FB to shop. With FB ads you have to hope you reach an impulse buyer.

regarding the dog and cat products, people have been buying more of the generic-designed items, such as the tshirts and mugs with the generic dog and cat pictures, and not items with specific breeds. I just had a couple sales of the dog pillows, where someone bought the white terrier one and the bulldog one, but that’s about it. 

0 Likes