Splitting Variants

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Is there any way to split product variants after they've been imported to Shopify? I know it can be done in the Oberlo app prior to adding them to my store which I have done for my new additions. I want to do this for the existing items in my store. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
289 2 37

Hi, Trevor!

You might want to look into "Bulk Import Export Update with Excel" app. 

With that you can export your existing products with variants to Excel, then shuffle your variants as you like them to be, and import them back with "Variant Command" set to "REPLACE", so it will replace those variants with your new ones.

And you import back only the columns you need to update, the products will stay the same.

Let me know if you need help with details, I am the developer of this app.

Maris

Excelify.io | Bulk Import Export Update Migrate | https://excelify.io
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

I also need this!!

Thanks in advance! 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
829 50 105

Hi there Trevor!

Don here from Shopify!

I just wanted to jump in here with some extra info that might save you a little hassle down the line.

With any products imported to Shopify via Oberlo, it is not advisable to duplicate these products or to split them into variants if they're not already so divided.

This is due to the fact that modifying the products like this in your Shopify admin will break the link between the products there and the products as they exist in the Oberlo app, leading to issues with orders being communicated to the app correctly among other things.

You can, however; split products into variants within Oberlo as you suspected; just not after they have been imported into your store.

Hope this clears it up a bit!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Hi I really need some help here. I have created all my manual collections on Shopify and imported all my items from Oberlo into my store without splitting the variants. I’m trying to put certain variants into a specific collection and also a generic one by product type. For example, the type of product would be under scarf and that same scarf would also be in a collection called the elite scarves. However, I only created the generic collection in Shopify and did not split the variants in Oberlo. Is it too late to do this on the Shopify level and is there any way of having one product visible through one navigation bar at the top of the page and then by product type on the left-hand side menu? Please help! I just spent 10+ hours importing over 100 products with at least 20 variants of each!
0 Likes