Starting a new store with « Pause and build »

hubuteambuildin
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Shopify community, 

Is it possible to start a new store with the «pause and build» feature? 

I would like to build my store before I start selling? Also, is this feature available as long as we want?

Thank you. 

-Gabriel

0 Likes
Finley
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
197 24 26

Hi @hubuteambuildin,

This is Finley from the Social Care team here at Shopify.

I appreciate you reaching out. At this time, you won't be able to start your Shopify account on the Pause and Build plan.

To be eligible for the plan, your account will need to be created after March 1, 2020, and open for at least 60 days after the end of your free trial period. Those with a Shopify Capital offer or using the Shopify Plus plan are not eligible.

Once you are eligible to switch over, there is currently no limit on how long you can be on the Pause and build plan.

Using the Pause and Build plan

There are a few points to note when moving to the Pause and Build plan.

You will have access to:

• Your Shopify admin.
  • Basic reports
  • Viewing your online storefront
  • Accepting Manual payments from your customers using draft orders.

You will not have access to:

Moving to the Pause and Build plan

Once you meet the requirements, you can take these steps to move to the Pause and Build plan:

1) Navigate to your Shopify Admin > Settings > Plan and permissions > Store status.

2) Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the option to select the "Pause and Build" plan like so:

20-23-7h1ob-s8c40

If you have any further questions about this, please feel free to let me know!

Shopify Resources

At which part of the store setup process are you at the moment?

We do have some resources that you may find helpful that I'd like to share :

I hope you find these resources useful!

Cheers,

This post was edited on November 30th, 2020 to reflect the current requirements for the Pause and Build plan.

Finley | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

hubuteambuildin
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you. That was super helpful! 

Floresbotanica
1 0 0

Hi i followed the instructions i found for starting a new store, providing payment details and then changing to plan and build which I did 10 seconds after I picked my plan and attached payment details and i was still charged immediately 31 USD. before I could click plana and build. can this be refunded? 

0 Likes
Finley
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
197 24 26

Hey @Floresbotanica,

Thanks for your question!

At this time, you will not be eligible for the Pause and Build plan immediately after your free trial period.

You will need to meet the following requirements to use this plan:

1) You opened your Shopify account after March 1, 2020.
2) Your account has been open for at least 60 days after the end of your free trial period.

Please note that you won't be eligible for this plan if you have a Shopify Capital offer or use the Shopify Plus plan.

I do hope this answers your question. If anything is unclear or you have further questions, please let me know!

Cheers,

This post was edited on November 30th, 2020 to reflect the current requirements for the Pause and Build plan.

SPC1
1 0 0

Hi ,

When using pause and build can you confirm that customers can still see the store front but unable to make purchases ?

Regards,

Steve

0 Likes
hubuteambuildin
Tourist
3 0 1
Hi, I actually did not use this feature, so I could not tell you, but I'm
sure that you can still see the store, just not able to buy.
0 Likes
Finley
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
197 24 26

Hi, SPC1!

Thank you for your patience in my response while I was away during the holidays.

This Pause and Build plan is best suited for those who need time to work on their store and want to stop selling in the meantime.

If you were to switch to this plan, your customers would indeed have access to your storefront as long as you have password protection disabled. However, you're correct that they will not be able to make a purchase. Your customers can add items to their cart, but when they navigate to the checkout they will see a “checkout unavailable” error.

Alongside the online store checkout, the Shopify POS, discounts, abandoned checkout recovery, gift cards and third-party integrations like Facebook and Google will not be available.

Keep in mind that to be eligible for this plan, your store will need to be on one of our paid plans for a minimum of 60 days after the free trial period. Please uninstall any third-party apps with recurring charges that aren't needed, as app charges won't be paused.

Let me know if this answered your question or if there is anything I can clarify further.

I hope you enjoyed your holidays, Steve!

0 Likes
Julia_Web
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello @Finley,

Does that mean it is possible to use the Pause and Build feature for a showcase store?
My activity is seasonal so I'm interesting in having just a showcase store (people can read the blog and browse the products without buying) for few months, and having a normal e-commerce store for the rest of the year.

Thanks

0 Likes
Finley
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
197 24 26

Hey @Julia_Web!

Thanks for reaching out. I hope you're well! For some background information, pausing a store was always intended to be a temporary solution for our merchants. This offering was a part of our COVID-19 response and focused on giving established merchants some relief during this challenging time. So though the Pause and Build was not made available for this specific purpose, you can still downgrade your plan if you meet the eligibility requirements.

The requirements are that the store needs to be on a paid plan and at least 60 days past the free trial period.

While on the Pause and Build plan, customers will see a checkout unavailable error if they attempt to add a product to the cart and checkout. You may want to consider hiding your product prices and disabling your cart to prevent customers from adding products to their cart.

You also would not have access to:
- Shopify POS
- Discounts
- Abandoned checkout recovery
- Gift cards
- Third-party integrations like the Facebook channel and Google channel.

The storefront, including blog posts, will remain visible as long as your password page is disabled. If you are happy with these changes, you are welcome to downgrade during the months you need.

I hope this clarifies things!