Stock Oversell Despite Setting Not On

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey everyone!

My business is ever growing and we are beginning to see a very large influx of users come onto our store when we release new products. For example on Friday at 11AM we had 1200 people on the site trying to checkout. 

While this is great, there appears to be one slight downfall. Shopify is allowing the oversell of products despite the 'continue to sell when sold out' setting being turned off. I believe this is simply due to so many people checking out at one, Shopify's API can't keep up with updating product quantities.

Just wanting to know if anyone else has this issue and what they did to fix it or work around it? Our last release on Friday we oversold like 100 items in total cause every size went almost -10. 

Thanks

Luke

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi,

I don't have a solution, just a very similar problem... I have a vintage website and when we do new drops of stock we hype them up to release at a certain point and sometimes an item will sell 2 or 3 times within the first 30 seconds of the drop going live. 

It now happens almost every time we release stock so we have started posting about it happening on our instagram right before the drop goes live, that way if we have to refund someone they are kind of prewarned and more understanding. We have also used it in the past to sell someone a different item to what they purchased (something that was not yet available so made them feel special).

Tonight however it happened with the second sale occuring 5 minutes after the first as the second customer was using Laybuy (a third party payment provider that spreads payments across several weeks) and didn't have their details entered already which added another layer of annoyance!

I would love to know if there is a solution to this problem but I have a feeling there just isn't...

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi

0 Likes
Highlighted

We’ve had this same issue for over a year. We’ve spoken to Shopify about it and we’re only given “We’re working on it” 

It seems it’s due to offering 3rd party payment gateways. (Assuming you offer either Paypal, Afterpay, etc) as well as their checkout system. Even if the box is checked to not oversell after out of stock, we still oversell with each restock due to these 3rd party sites. Stock levels are not communicating fast enough with Shopify. So while you run out of stock, those checking out on Paypal or Afterpay within the same minute are not notified and it still goes through making it -1.

It is AWFUL and I wish it could be fixed. Although it is nice knowing we aren’t the only ones with this same issue. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Hey! Yup we figured out it was due to AfterPay/Laybuy. We have been getting around it buy posting a warning on our Instagram before our drop goes live (as almost all traffic is from Instagram) and recommending not to use 3rd party apps or your order might come in too late. So far it seems to be happening less...
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey!

yeah so we discovered it was AfterPay causing issues, from what I gather when AfterPay launches it's payment popup and closes, it holds/takes off stock but not in real time. So by the time it removes stock, another customer has actually bought it. 

What we have done for a few weeks now is advertise the price of the upcoming product a few days prior to the drop. Customers can then use AfterPay to buy a gift card for the amount of thereabouts and then right before the drop we actually turn off AfterPay. Ever since this has happened, we no longer oversell at all as we only use Shopify Payments and PayPal (doesn't have the issue). 

0 Likes
Highlighted

While I completely understand that work around solution... it would worry me if customers purchase a GC with Afterpay only to miss out on what they wanted due to being out of stock. They’re then left to pay payments for something they couldn’t get. That’s a hard pill to swallow.

0 Likes