Stock take - how complicated can it be?

Highlighted
17 0 0

Hello, I hope someone out there can help me with this. 

What I want is so simple and basic, and should be really easy. But I have yet to find an easy way to do this. 
All I want is to make a monthly stock take for my accountant. I only need the product name, and quantity. 
I have tried to download various apps, I have of course tried to export this from Shopify, but I end up with an csv-file I cannot seem to understand how to decipher. This should really not be so complicated? 
I would also like an option of being able to put the cost price of each item on the item, which is possible in the app "Stocky" which I am currently using. However, even this complicated app cannot provide me with a simple stock take. 

I do not even need the variants, product type could be handy.

A report od sales by vendor would als be a handy thing to have, but that is besides this question. 

So - does anyone know how to to this, or how to work that CSV-file? Please help if you can! 

-Beate (www.probat.no) ;

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9973 110 1784

Hey Beate,

If you're looking for an app that does a range of different and customisable spreadsheet exports, take a look at Xporter:
https://apps.shopify.com/xporter-by-eshop-admin

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
187 0 27

Hi Beate!

Diana here from the Shopify Support Team.

CSV files gave me a hard time too when I first started learning about them, but as I've gotten used to how they work, they're actually pretty handy; if you haven't already had a chance to, I'd really recommend taking a look at our Product CSV Overview, which goes over all of the data columns included in a product CSV file, as well as providing plenty of visual aids and even a sample CSV file as a demonstration.

Ultimately, CSVs will definitely look like indecipherable gibberish if you open them in non-spreadsheet-friendly programs. We always recommend opening a CSV file in OpenOffice, Numbers, or (my favourite) Google Sheets. When you do, the CSV becomes much easier to read! This is a sample snapshot from our documentation of what it looks like in Google Sheets:

Once it's in this much easier-to-decipher format, your accountant need only pay attention to the columns called Title, Type (if you think it would be handy), and Variant Inventory Quantity in order to get that stock take done.

As for your other questions, 'cost price' of each product is not a column that is currently included in the CSV, so you'll have to keep relying on your Stocky App for that information.

Lastly, a 'Sales by Vendor' report is actually possible to make in Shopify, provided that you are subscribed to the Unlimited plan and therefore have access to the Advanced Reports Builder.

It's a lot to take in, but I hope this has helped make CSVs less intimidating! Take some time to go over how it all works and it may end up saving you more headaches than it causes.

- Diana

Diana | Shopify Guru ~ Contact Shopify 24/7 at support.shopify.com!
0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi all,

I'd just like to add my voice here. We’re primarily a bricks & mortar retailer and have been using Shopify for just over 6 months now and as a POS solution it certainly looks and feels great but as a means for managing your business, I feel it has a few basic failings. Stock Check and basic analysis, such as cost price, Sales by Vendor and a ‘Supplier’ field in the product details to name but a few.

Conducting a full inventory stock take is a fundamental part of running a well organised business and currently it doesn't seem that there is a simple and/or effective way of doing this on Shopify.

The CSV approach is not sufficient. For one, it's offline, so unless you can count all your stock in one go whilst your store is closed then there is no straightforward way for accounting for sales that you take during the time that you are carrying out your stock-take. We are trying to work around this by doing a full export before we start and then importing the altered CSV once we've completed a round of counting. This allows for the inventory to take sales into account before the next round of counting but causes further issues as when you export the latest product report it's difficult to know what has already counted, or more importantly, what has not. Meaning that when you have completed your stock take it’s impossible to identify erroneous entries.

Further, we have a reasonably large store with over a thousand separate products and to have to manually search for each product by manually entering in a barcode or a product title on the CSV sheet is pretty time consuming and arduous work.

Ultimately this is such a basic and fundamental element to running a business that it is extremely surprising that there is no better solution for conducting a stock take than this arduous and error prone work around.

Regarding the Sales by Vendor - this should be a basic report to run. To expect subscribers to fork out over $300 a month to be able to access this capability is a real drawback to the Shopify solution.

Thanks,

Henry

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Hi,

This reply is a little late, but maybe helpful to others. 

Exporting your Shopify inventory in CSV format and manually taking stock is one way of doing this. Keep in mind this is not a good way to take inventory unless you have a small store.

There are a couple of stock taking apps that can do this including Shopify's own Stocky. I would recommend the "Stock Take" app for a lower cost option ($4.99/month).

https://apps.shopify.com/stock-take

Select the inventory location, choose whole store or filter by vendors/product types, take stock by scanning items with your iPad/iPhone/Android device camera or with a barcode scanner. You can also manually lookup and update inventory by SKU. This app shows you if the stock tallies as you take inventory and unlike some other apps it takes in to account unfulfilled inventory while counting stock. Once you're done, you can download the stock take in CSV format or apply all inventory changes to Shopify.

Also, the Stock Take app "adjusts" the available inventory as opposed to setting the inventory to an absolute number for each product variant. This ensures that the available count remains correct even if there are online sales during the stock take.

Full disclosure: I work for BR Data Solutions the author of Stock Take.

0 Likes