Stopping SPAM on the Contact Form

1 0 0

My customer database is filled with e-mail addresses without names or addresses which I assume are BOTs registering as customers. Why do they do this?  How can I stop them?  Is your honeypot suggestion relevant? BTW- where is the customer database? What are the paths into the database?  My newsletter subscription forms are from my CRM and these e-mails are not in my CRM.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
357 68 115

Hey, Jim!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

Thank you for reaching out! There are a few reasons why the hackers send out bots to attack the contact forms. Here's a great read on Why Do Bots Fill Out Forms?. The honeypot technique I recommended does apply to this issue. Feel free to have one of your developers or one of the Shopify Experts to help you set it up.

To answer you better on where's the customer database, I need to gather a little more context from you in order to answer you correctly. Who's handling your CRM? Are you using Shopify's Customer section's API or you have a different CRM program? Since your newsletter forms are generated from your CRM and the bots emails aren't, where are you seeing the bots emails? If you'd like, I can send you an email so we can discuss this privately as this involves some account details on your part. 

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
1 0 3
We're now seeing the same spam coming directly from the API (we have no contact form on the site). If this helps with filtering at all, the spam contains a bit.ly URL which resolves to Ali Express clickbait. It would be good for Shopify to close this API so it's not public, as this feels like a clear vector for spam, and instead employ keys for genuine account developers (who are Shopify subscribers) to pass and secure this hole.

I'm interested to know what steps Shopify are taking to secure this.
3 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

Eliminate SPAM messages via the Contact Form? Good luck.

Did you have any luck with this at all? We've been hacked and it seems we just get the same answers over and over. They don't listen to whats really going on.

One Shopify team member and I kid you not suggested the ex employee had set up mirrors within the store pointing at the keyboard and screen to see what we type. Honestly, sounds like the guy watched to much Mission Impossible.

That's what we are dealing with here. Let me know if you get this figured out and who you deal with if so, I would like to deal with the same person as I just keep getting the run around.

0 Likes
Excursionist
27 0 12

It's actually the newsletter form but it is still going on.  Shopify just wants us to buy apps. since I'm sure they make money as well that way.  They would make more money if their store owners were more successful.  Rarely do I get anything that is worthwhile from them which is unfortunate.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Sounds like the customer service I'm dealing with.

Too bad.

You wonder how a company gets so big sometimes with customer service like this.

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 3

I'm sick of all the spam. I am not going to pay for apps as I feel shopify should be doing more to resolve this.

3 Likes
Tourist
7 0 7

I was just talking with support about this very issue! I was more than a little upset that Melissa's only advice or insight was to install an app at $5/mo for a CAPTCHA box. ABSOLUTE SCAM! I have to check a captcha box before I can even sign into my Shopify account, but they can't just put on our contact form? Totally Ridiculous... I guess I will just cancel my Shopify page and I'll be finding a new service provider because I am sick of the dozens and dozens of these messages we get every week...6-10/day!

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi guys, i am keep receiving this emails, which is obviously spam, with the redirect link to aliexpress?!@? how can i make it stop? thank you!

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi guys, i am keep receiving this emails, which is obviously spam, with the redirect link to aliexpress?!@? how can i make it stop? thank you!

1 Like