Stopping SPAM on the Contact Form

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 171

Hey, Dina (@im4ace)!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Since I'm not a professional developer, I'd hate to offer you the wrong instructions causing your store to potentially crash. To execute the honeypot trap technique if you don't have enough coding knowledge, it's best to consult with Shopify Experts. One of the developers can help you with this strategy with a contracted fee. Keep in mind that this technique does require you to know more than following instructions to copy and paste code. Each theme comes with its unique set of code and structure. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to @PhillipC and check out how they had executed the technique. 

Last but not least, I'll be sure to forward your valuable feedback to our development and mentioned your suggested solution. Wishing you amazing sales in Black Friday/Cyber Monday!

Best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
45 0 9

So, the Sophify solution for this big problem is ..... pay more ?

I have implemented the "hidden" input, but I still recieve fake customers, no "recaptcha from shopify".

Pay more? Contact a developers? Every other platforms are more secure than this, please Shopify, give us another option, thanks

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Greetings,

Hope this email finds you well. I too have been getting a lot of spam email in my "customer list" on SHOPIFY.  I've reached out to SHOPIFY customer service to find out what steps or apps can help stop the ongoing amount of spam I'm getting daily. I was suppose get an email giving me the app/steps to get rid of the spam. I haven't received the email.  Is the "honeypot"  an app that can be downloaded or do I need to get a tech guru to have it coded into my site. I've been having this issue with spam emails over the last 3-months. It's tiring because you spend your time deleting all these emails out of your contact list. I should be working on marketing my clients, but I can't until I delete the spam first.  I look forward to some clarity in getting this under control. Thank-you for any assistance you can offer.

Anthony

FINICKEY, LLc

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 24

Jason,

I think the last thing we need is to have a Shopify Expert tell us we should contract with someone to fix what should be very minor problems.  It should be fixed internally at Shopify.  

5 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

Hi Anthony

Those spambots are a nuisance indeed and they are getting smarter each day. There's a Shopify app called Shop Protector that is built for combating spambots. It cost USD4.99 pm. It will be a more straightforward method to install the app rather than coding the honeypot trap where you'll need a programmer to assist you.

Hope that helps. 

Best Regards

Phillip

Store Owner

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
26 0 10

@PhillipC wrote:

Hi Anthony

Those spambots are a nuisance indeed and they are getting smarter each day. There's a Shopify app called Shop Protector that is built for combating spambots. It cost USD4.99 pm. It will be a more straightforward method to install the app rather than coding the honeypot trap where you'll need a programmer to assist you.

Hope that helps. 

Best Regards

Phillip

Store Owner

Shop Protector will sell your store's information and track your customers.

Not a real solution for the privacy violations it causes not to mention that I'm pretty sure these guys are causing some of the bot submissions considering they are the only game in town to have suddenly popped up to stop the issues.

It's been almost a full year since the beginning of the post and there still no resolution.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

To be honest, there isn't a way that can block out spambots entirely. There are a few more methods you may want to try if you are fluent with codings. Here is a great thread on how you can add basic Captcha on your blog . Another useful guide to follow is here

Hello, Implementing the javascript captcha decreased my page score in google tool. And google insights suggest me to combine js files. Will this impact my ranking or should i ignore the page score?

Thank you

0 Likes