Store Closed Without Notice

Highlighted
Tourist
41 0 3

After waiting two weeks for them to fix an error with my store that was caused after their last platform update to manual payments I get this email.

Shopify

Jul 5, 09:50 EDT

Dear Account Owner,

We have recently been made aware that your account,  NA, may be in violation of Shopify Acceptable Use Policy

After reviewing, we have determined that your account is in violation of Shopify  and we are no longer able to host your store, NA,  on our platform.

At this time, public access to your storefront has been disabled. You will continue to have access to your admin for 5 business days if you wish to export your store data. On July 12, 2019, your account will be permanently closed and you will have no further access to your store or its data.

You can access our Terms of Service here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms and our Acceptable Use Policy here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/aup.

Should you require assistance with downloading your content, please contact us at support@shopify.com.

Regards,

Shopify

I had an error for two weeks with the manual payments.  I hired the for hire contractors and they could not fix it.  Shopify kept elevating me and just stopped responding.  I limped along for two weeks with checkout errors waiting for them to fix it.  Have been here for 5 years and paid them 10s of thousands in fees.  On the 5th at 8AM my store was disabled, I received an email that said that I am in violation of their terms and my store is terminated without notice.  They took the theme that I built myself and will not give me access to it for me or someone else to create a new store elsewhere for me.  They did not allow me to put a message or anything stating that my store is moving, will be back soon, or anything.  They left it to where my customers think I have closed, gone out of business, absconded with their money for their orders etc.  It has been a major issue.  People think I closed shop on them and just took their money and am not shipping orders.  Shopify made it look this way. 

After reading the terms I could find zero in there saying I have violated them.  I even reached out to their own support and they said I have not violated them and I should be good.  A copy of this conversation is in this post.  The truth is they could not fix the error and then did this.  They could have given me a warning, some time to move my business, something better than this.  They should allow me to keep my theme that I built and paid for, but no. All I want is for them to be fair with me.  This is not fair. 

So I reach out and ask them myself if I am violating their terms, this is what they say

Your chat has been logged and can be referenced by the ticket number 13481623. To add further comments, just reply to this email and you'll hear from us soon!

Barry G (Shopify)

Jul 6, 11:19 EDT

Full chat transcript below. All timestamps in UTC timezone.

14:47 Barry G: Hey Barry here in Shopify Support. feel free to pop in your query and I’ll be with you in a moment :)

14:47 julie: I am about to sign up and create a store. First we want to make sure we can sell our products here. We have our own payments so this is not a problem. We sell kratom to be used in air freshener, candles and soaps. Can well sell our product on this platform? As I said, we have our own payments.

14:51 Barry G: Hey Julie, thanks for reaching out! That's great that you are considering using Shopify. What country are you located in and who is your payment processor?

14:51 julie: we are in the united states. we are using green money e check

14:52 julie: they have a plug in built for shopify

14:57 Barry G: I believe you should be fine, just like people selling products with CBD. The product can be sold on Shopify but not through our Payment gateway. I would recommend you take a read over the Shopify Acceptable Use Policy and the Shopify Terms of Service if you are curious.

14:58 julie: i have read them and do not see where it states kratom can not be sold here. i just want to be sure before i invest time into this

14:59 julie: i do not want to build a store, get everything up and running and then find out i cant sell kratom on here. this is why i am trying to be certain

15:03 Barry G: I can understand wanting to be cautious. The only reference I see to Kratom not being allowed is through our Payment gateway which you would not be using. The General rule of thumb for the Shopify platform is: If the product/service is legal to be sold in the area that you are selling from/to, then it's allowed on Shopify. The exception to that rule is certain firearms outlined in our acceptable use policy.

15:05 julie: i see. ok. thank you for your help

15:07 Barry G: Happy to help ! Is there anything else you would like to learn about Shopify today?

15:08 julie: no you have helped me greatly. thank you. have a good day/

15:09 Barry G: Thanks for chatting with me today. Always remember you can check our Help center for any questions you have and feel free to contact us again anytime :)

Please take a second to rate your support experience.
great
Fast, friendly, helpful, pleasant. Great job!
ok
Fine, but definitely could have been better.
not good
Unfortunately, I wasn’t happy with it at all.

Shopify Support

So which one is it?  Is this fair?  Is this the right thing to do? I understand that they can kick one to the curb for no reason at all, just because they want to, which is what they have done here.   At least should have given me a notice, let me keep my theme that I created and paid for.  They had an error they did not want to fix, thats ok, but to do this?  This is just not right. 

I will edit this post to let others know what they did.  If they did the right thing and and gave me my theme access. They have already cost me many orders, days shut down, the loss of business and customers and a lot of confusion. 

Depending on how they treat me If I will post this on review sites and other places.  I just feel they can do better than this 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
41 0 3

I would like to add I am not using their payments.  I use off line manual payments. Their own customer support has told me that I am not violating their terms and I should be fine to sell here.  I have been for 5 years.  

@Brian_Pylant wrote:

After waiting two weeks for them to fix an error with my store that was caused after their last platform update to manual payments I get this email.

Shopify

Jul 5, 09:50 EDT

Dear Account Owner,

We have recently been made aware that your account,  NA, may be in violation of Shopify Acceptable Use Policy

After reviewing, we have determined that your account is in violation of Shopify  and we are no longer able to host your store, NA,  on our platform.

At this time, public access to your storefront has been disabled. You will continue to have access to your admin for 5 business days if you wish to export your store data. On July 12, 2019, your account will be permanently closed and you will have no further access to your store or its data.

You can access our Terms of Service here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms and our Acceptable Use Policy here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/aup.

Should you require assistance with downloading your content, please contact us at support@shopify.com.

Regards,

Shopify

I had an error for two weeks with the manual payments.  I hired the for hire contractors and they could not fix it.  Shopify kept elevating me and just stopped responding.  I limped along for two weeks with checkout errors waiting for them to fix it.  Have been here for 5 years and paid them 10s of thousands in fees.  On the 5th at 8AM my store was disabled, I received an email that said that I am in violation of their terms and my store is terminated without notice.  They took the theme that I built myself and will not give me access to it for me or someone else to create a new store elsewhere for me.  They did not allow me to put a message or anything stating that my store is moving, will be back soon, or anything.  They left it to where my customers think I have closed, gone out of business, absconded with their money for their orders etc.  It has been a major issue.  People think I closed shop on them and just took their money and am not shipping orders.  Shopify made it look this way. 

After reading the terms I could find zero in there saying I have violated them.  I even reached out to their own support and they said I have not violated them and I should be good.  A copy of this conversation is in this post.  The truth is they could not fix the error and then did this.  They could have given me a warning, some time to move my business, something better than this.  They should allow me to keep my theme that I built and paid for, but no. All I want is for them to be fair with me.  This is not fair. 

So I reach out and ask them myself if I am violating their terms, this is what they say

Your chat has been logged and can be referenced by the ticket number 13481623. To add further comments, just reply to this email and you'll hear from us soon!

Barry G (Shopify)

Jul 6, 11:19 EDT

Full chat transcript below. All timestamps in UTC timezone.

14:47 Barry G: Hey Barry here in Shopify Support. feel free to pop in your query and I’ll be with you in a moment :)

14:47 julie: I am about to sign up and create a store. First we want to make sure we can sell our products here. We have our own payments so this is not a problem. We sell kratom to be used in air freshener, candles and soaps. Can well sell our product on this platform? As I said, we have our own payments.

14:51 Barry G: Hey Julie, thanks for reaching out! That's great that you are considering using Shopify. What country are you located in and who is your payment processor?

14:51 julie: we are in the united states. we are using green money e check

14:52 julie: they have a plug in built for shopify

14:57 Barry G: I believe you should be fine, just like people selling products with CBD. The product can be sold on Shopify but not through our Payment gateway. I would recommend you take a read over the Shopify Acceptable Use Policy and the Shopify Terms of Service if you are curious.

14:58 julie: i have read them and do not see where it states kratom can not be sold here. i just want to be sure before i invest time into this

14:59 julie: i do not want to build a store, get everything up and running and then find out i cant sell kratom on here. this is why i am trying to be certain

15:03 Barry G: I can understand wanting to be cautious. The only reference I see to Kratom not being allowed is through our Payment gateway which you would not be using. The General rule of thumb for the Shopify platform is: If the product/service is legal to be sold in the area that you are selling from/to, then it's allowed on Shopify. The exception to that rule is certain firearms outlined in our acceptable use policy.

15:05 julie: i see. ok. thank you for your help

15:07 Barry G: Happy to help ! Is there anything else you would like to learn about Shopify today?

15:08 julie: no you have helped me greatly. thank you. have a good day/

15:09 Barry G: Thanks for chatting with me today. Always remember you can check our Help center for any questions you have and feel free to contact us again anytime :)

Please take a second to rate your support experience.
great
Fast, friendly, helpful, pleasant. Great job!
ok
Fine, but definitely could have been better.
not good
Unfortunately, I wasn’t happy with it at all.

Shopify Support

So which one is it?  Is this fair?  Is this the right thing to do? I understand that they can kick one to the curb for no reason at all, just because they want to, which is what they have done here.   At least should have given me a notice, let me keep my theme that I created and paid for.  They had an error they did not want to fix, thats ok, but to do this?  This is just not right. 

I will edit this post to let others know what they did.  If they did the right thing and and gave me my theme access. They have already cost me many orders, days shut down, the loss of business and customers and a lot of confusion. 

Depending on how they treat me If I will post this on review sites and other places.  I just feel they can do better than this 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
I'm now afraid to use shopify with this errors.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
41 0 3

you should be.  after being here 5 years they just shut my store down rather than fix the error created in the manual payments from their last update.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
41 0 3

I have kept all of this information "IN HOUSE" here at shopify and on these forums.  I am hoping they will see this and realize this is not a good way to do business.  There is already a lot of trash talk about shopify outside these forums but I have kept it here.  They will not respond to my emails to them or request, I hope they will read these post and decide to deal fairly with me.  I have done zero wrong, I just wanted to be able to use my manual payments again.  It may be that they only want customers who use their payments or the ones they get a % of the payment from.  I used to pay them 1% gross sales even with off line manual payments.  Maybe this is why they dont want me (us) here anymore.  They are only making $80ish a month and that is not enough. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
41 0 3

well, in the end they would not allow me to have my theme I built and paid for. received an email from a 5th grader telling me NO, ITS MINE lol.  As I look around now I really realize how despised shopify really is.  

@Brian_Pylant wrote:

I have kept all of this information "IN HOUSE" here at shopify and on these forums.  I am hoping they will see this and realize this is not a good way to do business.  There is already a lot of trash talk about shopify outside these forums but I have kept it here.  They will not respond to my emails to them or request, I hope they will read these post and decide to deal fairly with me.  I have done zero wrong, I just wanted to be able to use my manual payments again.  It may be that they only want customers who use their payments or the ones they get a % of the payment from.  I used to pay them 1% gross sales even with off line manual payments.  Maybe this is why they dont want me (us) here anymore.  They are only making $80ish a month and that is not enough. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
41 0 3

Just an update to my issues here many months ago. 

It turns out that our site "error" that they could not fix was in fact due to our site or someone else store, who knows, being attacked somehow.  It explains why they could not fix it over a 3+ week time. Rather than inform us of what had happen they just closed our website without notice. This way we would never know, or anyone else would either.  We did find out though so yeah, your really not to safe here.  You or anyone else around you here are sitting ducks.  This is the kind of news they do not want to share or admit.  So all the lies, all the contradicting information we received from different support members just didnt add up.  Lower level support saying one thing but upper level decided just to shut our store down and let us go and keep sweep it under the rug. I know they really dont care about any single customer and all are disposable, but each one does represent a business and a family or several depends on this business, which is just a disposable unit to them. They do have a good thing going here.  Easy to setup and use with most everything you need baked in nice and simple.  Security is not very good though.  They pack in a lot of shops piled one on the other and any one here is wide open at any time to anything.  So security is not good.  Management is their real problem, upper management really.  They are universally know to be really bad, its not a secrete. Most of the support folks you deal with are not bad, its just who they work for. So there are a lot of good things and then some bad.  We managed to have a store here for 5 years and our conversion rates were in the top 4% from what they told us. When they were charging the 1% fee of all your sales they were making a lot from us.  If this were still the case they would have dealt with our, well their security issue and got us fixed up. For the $89 or what ever it is a month we were disposable.  But yeah, when they were making $1000s a month from the 1% off the top they treated us really good. After that no so much.  We did find out what had happen when it was revealed in the 5 years worth of store data we saved.  It was so important to us that we hired someone to try and save it and thats how we found out. Its also why they  would not allow any of their approved contractors you can hire to work on your site in to look at ours.  Many of the comments that each one of those made to us make a lot more sense now. They could not understand what was going on because it was not anything like what they are used to dealing with. They simply would not allow them in to investigate and we were told off the record something is strange going on.  It was lol.  It was a terrible experience and not funny at all.  We lost our business over this.  The 3+ weeks stringing us along everyday while our site was not working, then just shutting us down without any notice or any thing to tell our customers anything and our data being ruined.  If they did care at all, they could have put something up that let our customers know that our site is down, allowed us to tell them something and kept that up for us. They just shut the site down without any notice. So now I am going to repay their kindness to us.  I am making it known what happen to us any where I can.  I will also post each statement made to us during the entire ordeal and the truth of what happen. Your not safe here. It can happen at any time. Your store too can be lost.  Their security is not very good. The management is even worse. Since we now have our own dedicated server with real security I will be putting up this publicly.  Make sure when anyone searches for Shopify that they will be able to visit and see before opening a store here. Shop can not do or say anything about it since its their words and 100% true

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Same happened to me 10 days back. My 4 years old store closed by their system. And they are not ready to pass any information / data / reason! All I built in these 4 years Just gone for nothing (or because I was using shopify?)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

I've had the same problem. I've been with Shopify literally for 5 years and they just shut my store down today. It's very upsetting and frustrating. They need a class action lawsuit against them, as this seems VERY wrong and illegal. Think about it- your pictures, your product descriptions, it's all intellectual property that they are not allowing you to access when they close your store down without notice. It's wrong. Who's with me here? Seriously, something needs to be done. Hey Shopify, you're from Canada, get the hell out of the US. You're not doing us any favors. We work our asses off, pay YOU to host our websites, and then you literally throw it in the trash. I am absolutely seething right now. I am a US based business, literally have NEVER had a fraudulent order, a chargeback or dispute, NOTHING. I make my own products by hand and sell them. There is literally no reason to shut me down. Especially without telling me WHY. This is wrong on so many levels. Just do a Google search online, and you will realize that there are so many other cases out there like this one. 

0 Likes