Store Name Taken

Highlighted
4 0 0

I'm migrating from Squarespace and am trying to open a new shop on Shopify. When I type in my shop name, Rock Candie Designs, it tells me that the shop name is taken. It will let me use the name RockCandieDesigns (all one word, no spaces) but I'm trying to figure out the following:

• Does this mean someone else owns this shop?
  • Does this mean Shopify does not allow spaces in your shop name?
  • Is it possible that I own this shop and just don't know what email address I used (and if so, can someone help me rectify the issue?)

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

Hey, @TB4

Great question! If you are getting the error that the store name has already been taken, then it would mean that someone else has previously claimed the store name and would require that you create the store without spaces. Shopify does allow for spaces to be entered; however, the store name would appear with dashed in between each word (rock-candie-designs). Once a name is claimed, it can not be freed up for another merchant even if the store is no longer active. The store name you enter is what will create your free ".myshopify.com" URL which is used for login credentials once you add your purchased domain to your store. While the store name with spaces may be taken, in the end, what matters more is that you own the domain you wish to use for your business to ensure your customers are redirected to the correct site. 

It could be possible that you created a store before and do not know the email; however, in order for us to help update the email, we would need to fully verify the account. In order to verify the account, it would require having a payment method added and invoices generated. With that, our teams would ask you to verify the information on the payment method you added, and the amounts of the invoices. Without that information, we would not be able to verify the store to update the email on the account. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hey Peter,

Thank you so much for your reply.  Quick question: what invoices are would you need?  The invoices from the store that I may have created and forgot about or from the new store I'm currently creating?  If they are invoices from the store that I may have created, I never made the store live, so I wouldn't actually have invoices from that store to reference. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@TB4 

It would need to be invoices for the original store and not the newly created one. However; I wouldn't worry too much about this as the URL "rock-candie-designs.myshopify.com" leads to an error page which indicates it is not currently being used by an active store. I can see that rockcandiedesigns.myshopify.com Is active, so the next step you'll want to take is to connect your domain once your store is setup. Our help centre has guides on how to get that set up here; however, if you have any questions along the way let me know! 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes