Store Shut Down By Gerald

Highlighted
3 0 0

Anyone else have their store shut down by customer service rep "Gerald"?

They told us we have to stop selling hand sanitizer because we can't price match Walmart. Literally, this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. How in the world would a small business match the price of a volume store like Walmart? We were selling a 16oz bottle of hand sanitizer for $15. "Gerald" at Shopify said we had to stop selling it or reduce the price to match a national retailer like Walmart. I explained that we paid $12 for it, so we can't charge $12 like Walmart is. So what's the result? We can't sell it. Gerald took it off our store and we thought everything was fine. Fast forward to 2 days later, Gerald has locked out account and I can't request support since I can't login to my account (That's how Shopify support works). 

Also, I asked for a supervisor and I was refused multiple times. What kind of a company refuses to let you to talk to a supervisor? A shady one, and I guess that's what Shopify is. We had no idea when we started using them that they would be this way. This is by far the worst treatment we've ever had from a vendor. What was the resolution of all this? Support said "There's nothing we can do, you have to wait 1-3 days for it to be unlocked". Of course I reply to Geralds email and I get no reply or no action on my account. He's very clearly a hateful, unhappy person taking it out on Shopify customers. 

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. 

Here's what Gerald said and my replies:

ME: Ok so we have to take a loss on the product or match what a NATIONAL retailer is charging? We don’t have the buying power that they do, this makes no sense. If I was charging 100% markup or $20+ I would understand, but being 25% over what a National retailer is charging? Seems very reasonable for a small business to do. You’re saying because we don’t have the same buying power as a national retailer, we are now not allowed to sell the product.

Do you have this same policy on all of your items? Do you check to see that every retailer is selling their products at the same price as a national retailer? Of course not, every small business in America would be out of business.

**Can you please escalate this to a supervisor and have them call me?**

His Reply:

Thank you for your email.

Based on our [Acceptable Use Policy](https://www.shopify.com/legal/aup) and [Terms of Service](https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms) we are currently working on Covid 19 pandemic related products, and preventing these from being price gouged. This is the same policy we have across the board, and every store that is selling products related to this pandemic are going through the same requirements as yourself.

I would need you to go closer to the cost of that national retailer, or to stop offering the product on your Shopify store. At this stage, we would not be getting a supervisor to call you as they would be saying the exact same thing as myself and it would not be worth your time to hear this again.

Sincerely,
Gerald
Risk Analyst | Shopify

SO SHOPIFY WANTS TO SET THE PRICES NOW FOR YOUR PRODUCTS IN YOUR STORE, BUT THEY WON'T TELL YOU WHAT THAT PRICE IS, YOU MUST MAGICALLY GUESS AND HOPE SOMEONE THERE THINKS IT'S OK. BEWARE! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Any reasons to use shopify after this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Is this a publicly announced policy? Can we get a confirmation one way or the other from a Shopify employee?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Here's his newest reply.

"Thank you for your email responses. There may have been a bit of miscommunication between us. When we marked your products as unavailable on the online store, and other sales channels, it didn't fully remove them from your admin.

We had a few email messages together about the best price, and best move forward, but we did need this conversation to continue to make sure that you did meet our AUP and Terms of Service. I have unlocked your admin today to allow you to go back in and either delete this product completely from your admin, or for you to adjust the price based on our previous conversation.

Once you have made a decision on which of these you would like to do, and have actioned the change within the admin I do request you email me back to complete the final review. If I do not hear back within 72 hours, your account may be suspended.

Thank you for your cooperation on this matter Matt."

SO.... He's saying we have to delete the product all the way out of the admin. Which was NOT something he said originally, so that's HIS fault for not being clear and it resulted in US getting screwed over and having our account locked. Not even an apology from this guy, ridiculous! 

0 Likes