Store Stalkers

Solved
Excursionist
11 1 15

I have been an active merchant for a little over a year now and started my store from my OWN ideas.

My store is dropshipping and I use various sources to find good unique products and have built an excellent business relationship with my suppliers. The online retail industry is flooded with stores offering the same things and 1 way to have an advantage is to try to find products that very few stores have or do not have at all. That's like searching for a needle in a haystack on some of the platforms that you can utilize.

I WORK HARD on my store and have NEVER stalked another store for products because I am a consumer and is how I find products. It took me a year to build a catalog of products that I have and it is NOT EASY. It took around the same time for me to get a jump kick on sales because I started from scratch and had very little money to invest and work alone with no help.

I have had my fair share of technical issue that I learned how to resolve on my own with help from the Guru's and the online content. I am now faced with a company called pexgle that charges hundreds of dollars to provide your stores information to those who are lazy and have no sense of moral or creativity. this company offers to spy for content such as; what Apps I use, what Themes I use, Marketing campaigns, what new products I list for up to $499 a month.

When I 1 noticed it earlier this year in January i'd get a few Leeches that would come once a month and I'd never see them afterwards. I recently have been getting Supper Stalkers coming to my store everyday! 

From areas such as

• San Jose California - DAILY
  • Norwalk Connecticut - DAILY
  • Cambridge Massachusetts DAILY

I noticed today that when the visits happens they come in clusters and and run for about 15mins I am so disgusted with this kind of business and what makes it so bad the site does not have a contact page. Because i was going to email them to tell them to remove my store from their database. 

I also found that when the visit happens that day it disappears from the analytics in my admin the next day it is gone as if someone removed it!

Sight Stalker 3.PNG

Sight Stalker 4.png

What I was informed of when I 1st started my store is that it's like a Shopify crime to infringe upon someone elses store because you lack the talent to create one from your own ideas! I applaud those who work hard to start and maintain their store and continue to grow with creativity making their store something unique.

I do not plan to be a here today and gone tomorrow shop I have plans to grow my store into something Spectacular. This company should be ashamed but they are not. It is so true that what comes around goes around and is not just for us as individuals the same goes for units as companies, clubs and groups alike. 

2 Likes
1 0 1

I have the same problem! I have tried everything to stop them from spying on my website and nothing is working.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

Sorry to hear that. That must be very frustrating. I just checked their website and they do have an email address and facebook page posted on their contact us page. Perhaps you can follow up with them? Unfortunately, even if that website didn’t exist I’ve noticed a surge of Youtubers making videos on how to swipe best selling products, content, videos, facebook ads from popular Shopify stores. There are many ways for people to spy on their competitors, especially with websites like Builtwith (which shows the technology profile of every submitted website for free). All you can do is contact them, notify your customers of potential knockoffs and try to improve your brand even more. Best of luck to you! 

1 Like
Tourist
5 0 2
Here is the reply I got after reaching out to them.

Hi,

It could someone want to analytic your website.

When our customer put your website into analyze tool or Pexgle extension, they will see your website statistics (real visitor on product, facebook ads).
Then they click redirect to your website to check information that why you see referrer from us.

Please give me your domain. Let's me add your store to protected list avoid our hunt winning products toolkit.
2 Likes
Tourist
5 1 4

We are having the same issue with Pexgle. Christopher would you post here to let us know if the incursions decreased after contacting them? 
Thank you,

Jamie

1 Like
Tourist
5 1 4

So how does one stop Builtwith? I think that would be a great app for someone to develope!
Thanks, 
Jamie

1 Like
Tourist
5 1 4

Rhani,

I can't agree with you more. It appears that all of our Shopify data is shared freely with builtwith.com by Shopify and our apps.  I am going to research going back to the smaller platform I was on before to see if the data share is as great there.  

I thought Shopify wanted it's stores to be successful. Why it would share our data is beyond me.
Thanks for starting this thread,
Jamie

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1663 50 174

@Jamie10 wrote:

Rhani,

I can't agree with you more. It appears that all of our Shopify data is shared freely with builtwith.com by Shopify and our apps.  I am going to research going back to the smaller platform I was on before to see if the data share is as great there.  

I thought Shopify wanted it's stores to be successful. Why it would share our data is beyond me.
Thanks for starting this thread,
Jamie

There seems to be a massive amount of misconceptions in here, this is like being upset at the wind because you hear your echo.

A lot of the internets value and functionality inherently depends on open data to function and shopify when able have limited such data(like inventory) Companies like builtwith can still fill in the blanks for any platform easily,  "sharing" isn't even needed for them to get info.

A public webpresence on the internet will always be analyzed if there is profit motive. 

It doesn't matter if you move platforms, or go "small",  if your store is on the internet and even a little $uccessful someone somewhere sometime will analyze that store to be able to sell the data or leverage it for their own use.

@Rhani wrote:

... that charges hundreds of dollars to provide your stores information .... such as; what Apps I use, what Themes I use, Marketing campaigns, what new products I list for up to $499 a month.

$499 to get an insight report on your business? Sounds good, Buy it for yourself so you have a view into the type of intel others are looking for and identify the valuable stuff they don't know

Worrying about a data scarecrow is a bad mindset of fear you will never be safe from something you imagine as bad because you dont understand it.

As a publicly accessible business on the internet, ask yourself :

• Are you going to DMCA google and remove yourself from search results?
  • Are you going to cripple your theme undermining customer usability?
  • Corrupt your facebook|twitter og tags or schema.org?

Unless your losing a trade secret(contact a lawyer) there's not much to do about data collection. If you want to minimize competitive analysis go private as a membership site, even then people will buy in just so they can scrape what you got.

If a purchase list is the only thing defining your profit, why wouldn't others want to replicate that?

Don't you have curated vendor relationships? Hard to beat prices? Good customer satisfaction? High social Signaling? etc etc etc

Something?, anything?, a difference that can't be scraped by a bot in an afternoon?

Don't let public data required to operate define your business value. Fighting that can be done but it's just a losing battle for small businesses.

Increase the value you offer as a business to customers in a way that someone with a single spreadsheet can't match. 

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
3 Likes

Success.

Excursionist
11 1 15

Greetings

I'd like to 1st Thank You all @ShopifyPartner5 @Christopher_Gon @tizzy @Jamie10 @PaulNewton  for replying with comments and ideas to this intrusive issue that has been bothersome for many reasons.

If you have a Shopify store and customers make purchases from your store YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY to be in the know as much as possible to protect not only your own data but your customers data as well beyond the protection from the Shopify Platform. [Take your shoes off and try to put theirs on]

With the ignorant height of #Hackatrosities becoming an acceptable norm you can't put Anything pass Anything. I do not claim any particular expertise but commonsense will help you if you use it. I did not give this company permission to intrude on my website. Although my website is public I am not behind the scenes of this company so I do not know EXACTLY what information they have collected in there vacuum. 

Everyone's work load and monetary investment in there business is DIFFERENT; and if you are putting in #SoulWork then your business will reflect it and that is not something you want anyone intruding in on. I work hard on my store and in gain my customer's trust it is not easy or anything I am willing to lose. I do many things to safeguard their information which should be most important to us all.

I emailed pexgle yesterday and received the same response in Christopher_Gon Post. So far the intrusions have stopped but this is just counting 1 day.

I believe in business etiquette which seems to a lost quality in today's business world. My sales are slow but my compliments in customer service is HIGH.

I value respect and consideration because it has given me an overflow of insight and growth that magnifies in return. 

I always receive a lot of guidance and supportive brainstorming from the never tiring Shopify Gurus to come to a resolution upon how to stop the unwanted traffic from pexgle that came down to an email. I would suggest to email a company if you are experiencing unwanted traffic. Although your website is public it is YOUR PAID SITE and STORE managed on platform that is Private to you as a PAID CUSTOMER!

I kept my email simple and professional, asking questions that I did not know about the company, the information they obtained and what they were doing with it. For example:

If someone from [THE COMPANY.COM] can explain to me: 

1. Why is [THE COMPANY.COM] directing regular traffic to [YOUR DOMAIN] without my consent?
  2. What information has [THE COMPANY.COM] obtained from [YOUR DOMAIN] without my consent?
  3. How is [THE COMPANY.COM] obtaining information from [YOUR DOMAIN] without my consent?
  4. How is [THE COMPANY.COM] using information it's obtained from [YOUR DOMAIN] without my consent?

Some other information I found that was helpful.

I hope this information is pertinent to helping to resolve issues with unwanted intruders!

#PowerOn

Rhani

3 Likes
Excursionist
11 1 15

Greetings @PaulNewton 

Are you here to scout for business? You are targeting my quotes attempting to correct me and you seem angry as if you have a business that does the same thing this business does; [intrude on other peoples websites they work hard.]

This is a personal experience i chose to share and you seem to be taking it quite personal. You have no idea what I go through to manage my store and what my reality is. What I chose to do in the end so far has helped me. I do not seem to be getting anymore hits and I hope my experience helps someone with similar issues because the Shopify Guru's helped me and I am paying it forward.

@PaulNewton I hope you have a better day

#Reset

#PowerOn

Rhani

1 Like