Store owners beware: Major flaw with Shopify DMCA Takedown Notices

Highlighted
2 0 0

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9871 100 1709

the other store owner can retaliate and say whatever they want about products on your site

Whilst they could, a DMCA form always asks the requester to declare the statements are true. There will also be a counter-notice process you can follow. If you got a takedown notice via email, you can respond to that.

Now this isn't Shopify specific - it's a fairly standardised process for everyone.

Some more info here:
https://www.shopify.com/legal/dmca

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
67 0 13

> [Although] they could, a DMCA form always asks the requester to declare the statements are true. There will also be a counter-notice process you can follow. If you got a takedown notice via email, you can respond to that.

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for perjury, much less convicted, as a result of filing a false DMCA takedown notice?  This provision of the law doesn't seem to deter very many of the movie studios from filing automated and laughably inaccurate takedown notices.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

It is still alarming that Shopify would pass along a DMCA that was clearly filed in retaliation with no proof of ownership. I don't understand how Shopify's legal team wont even look at the details of the claim.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi,

After filing a counter takedown notice and the person who made the complaint did not take further action, I understand that the material removed could be enabled after 10 business days. However, if the same person who made the complaint report another DMCA takedown on the same product page after it was enabled, will shopify ask me to take it down again? Cause this could go around in cycles. Is there any shopify policy to prevent that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

This happened to me. Same file-er, same product. So legal froze our admin on Black Friday and shopify said only legal had power to unfreeze. Nightmare.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

I see your Post is from 2017.

In 2020, Shopify hasn't improved at all on this topic.

I just got my Account CLOSED on Tuesday after receiving multiple FAKE DMCA notice, for which I EVEN have COPYRIGHT.
Unbelievable...

And of course their Legal department doesn't give a damn about my explanations, copyright proof etc, they just follow their procedure I suppose.

Multiple DMCA notice = Account closed. 0 due diligence.

So basically Shopify can't be trusted to run a business, because they don't have the resources to check details in case you get hit by FAKE DMCA. And this can happen to anyone, anytime.

So at the end the bad guys win and the good guys lose.

Beware of Shopify.

From a customer who went from Loving Shopify to Hating it after discovering the real values of the Company.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0
same here, constant with the same repeat store. I was shocked. I even noticed the emails were delayed. So even if I took it down before 24 hours, its still a strike....
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Same! It was a false DMCA report and I cannot access my admin to assist customers. I am getting hundreds of emails and at least 20-30 phone calls a day . I do not care if my store gets shut down, but at least let me help the customers . 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Can confirm. I have been the subject of malicious claims.

Legal Team is useless and asks for no proof from the accuser to their authority. Even when the claimant is a user of their platform.

Will be migrating to a different platform.

0 Likes