Store with that name already exists

Mckenzigriss
3 0 0

So I created my first Shopify account without doing research or thinking a full plan out. When I made my store I put in a name that I now do not want to use so I tried putting in the name that I do want to use and saved it but it has the old name I had url. I’ve tried making a new account with the store name I want but when I do it says the name has already been taken. I’ve already went into my existing account removed the name and saved it and it still doesn’t allow me to create a new account with the store name I want 

0 Likes
Ted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1200 111 125

Hi @Mckenzigriss,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us!

Sure thing, so my colleague Nick has created a post here which should resolve your query. If you are unable to contact our support as he's mentioned, please let me know. 

If there’s anything else I can help you with I'm happy to help! 

Many thanks, 

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Mckenzigriss
3 0 0

Hello, I’ve run into another problem with my website. When I log on using a computer it doesn’t allow me access to my store and says I need to contact an administrator. I’ve started  2 different Stores but under different emails. 

when I log on using my phone it works perfectly fine

0 Likes
Ted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1200 111 125

Hi @Mckenzigriss,

Thanks for reaching out! Would you be able to add a screenshot of the error you are seeing? As well, can you replicate the error with a different browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Safari? Could there be something such as anti-virus software or a chrome extension on the desktop that might be blocking the connection? 

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
SimplifiedShop
Excursionist
19 0 5

Changing the name in your store settings does not free up that original store name used as it is used to create the .myshopify store URL. To use that same URL you must use the same account.

I made a YouTube video here explaining this and describing some workarounds if your store name is taken - hope it may help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egAg5IVovNk

0 Likes