Storefront search with special characters

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi all,

We're currently experiencing an issue with search with which we are having quite some trouble with, and can't see to find anything else about this topic.

Basically, the scenario is, whenever a customer would search for a string of special characters like "!@#!#@", "$$$!!!", etc., it returns all items. I've considered manually filtering special characters, but some products have dashes or parentheses in them and I just wanted to ask if anyone knows a way to prevent this from happening? Normally searching for a string of special characters (which none of the product names contain anyway) should return no results, so why is it returning everything?

Thanks all

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
47 1 3

Hi, @RicardoB !

Javier here from the Shopify Support team! I was wondering if you could explain why and how often your customers are entering special characters in the search bar?

The best recommendation I have for now is to use one of the search bar apps available in our App Store. Be sure to look into Instant Search & Smart Filters - this app will help you customize your in-store search feature.   

Another resource that you can check out is the Search Engine Optimization (Of Punctuation) article by Minutehack. Although this is third-party blog, the article really gives a good explanation regarding search engines and special characters.

You also have the option of getting in touch with one of our Shopify Experts. They are developers, designers, marketers and photographers who you can hire to help you with specific aspects of your Shopify storefront. Be sure to check them out to see if they can assist in customizing your search bar options.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I will be happy to help!

Javier | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - ¿Te resultó útil mi respuesta? Dale Me gusta para hacérmelo saber 
 - ¿Resolvimos tu pregunta? Dale a Aceptar como solución
 - Para saber más visita el Centro de ayuda de Shopify o nuestro Blog de Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi @JavierM1984 , thank you for your response! I will try looking into the apps you suggested as well as going through the article you shared.

I don't think our customers would enter special characters too often; it was just one of the test cases prepared by our QA team to enter such strings and as such we needed to find a way to circumvent that, even if it is more than unlikely to happen.

I will let you know if I've made any progress with this issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
51 3 0

Hi @RicardoB ,

We have tested search with special characters on demo store https://usf-vertical.myshopify.com/ using Ultimate Filter and Search https://apps.shopify.com/ultimate-search-and-filter-1  Special characters, or any character that is not a letter or number, will not return results if they are the only values included in the search criteria.

Untitled1.png

So you could check your string search algorithm. 

In addition, the app allows you to set up search fields and stop words.

0 Likes