Solved

Strange behavior when a customer signs up to our newsletter

Dry-Ager
Excursionist
32 1 3

Hello,

we use the tool Omnisend for our newsletter dispatch. The registration form is directly integrated on our homepage. Now we have the effect that a customer account is automatically created in Shopify as soon as a visitor signs up for the newsletter. The customer does not notice this registration and receives an error message if he tries to create an account in Shopify later. This error message tells the customer that no account can be created because an account with the specified e-mail address already exists.
Omnisend says that this must be an error of Shopify because they have not configured the automatic creation of a customer account in their app. Does anyone have similar problems with Omnisend or a tip for us?

Accepted Solution (1)
Dry-Ager
Excursionist
32 1 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi,

I just want to let you know that the problem seems to be gone. The error obviously came from our third party registration form app which has launched an update a few days ago. Now all customer data in the input fields will be saved until he confirms his account with the activation mail and no error is showing up. After the confirmation, the pre-created account from Omnisend will be updated and activated correctly.

Thanks again for your support!

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Jurate_Omnisend
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hello Dry-Ager,

This is Jurate from Omnisend support. I noticed your post so I wanted to follow up on this case. 

When a customer signs up using your Newsletter form, we create a customer profile with no account. This way we leave a possibility for your customer to return and to create an account on your store later. We have tested once again with a few email addresses in this order: 1. Sign up 2. Try create an account. And it worked well. The only error message that we received was to check for an email to verify our account creation (see below).

My assumption is that a) your customer may have received the same message and did not proceed with verification or b) they've created an account already but not through the Newsletter signup.

Would you be willing to test this yourself and let me know how it goes, please?

Best,

Jurate | Omnisend

Screenshot (1).png

Dry-Ager
Excursionist
32 1 3

Hello Jurate,

thank you for your detailed answer.
Yes, the error will show up if a customer tries to create an account after he has signed up to our newsletter. We think that this error is a bit confusing to him because he can't assume that there was already a shop account created when he signed up to our newsletter.
Do this automatically created accounts have a technical background for fully working of the Omnisend app or is there a possibility to disable this account creation for us?

Best regards,
Benjamin

Jurate_Omnisend
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hello, Benjamin,

Thank you for your response. 

I think we are misunderstanding each other. Omnisend does not create a customer account.

We tested your store: we tried creating an account after signing up for your newsletter and it worked. The error message shown on the screenshot only means that the account verification link was sent to your customer's email address. All they need to do is to find that verification email from Shopify in their email inbox >> verify >> and an account will be created 🙂

Best,

Jurate | Omnisend

Dry-Ager
Excursionist
32 1 3

Hello Jurate,

I may have said something wrong. No account with a password will be created in Shopify but a user account which only contains the email address with which the visitor has registered for the newsletter. If the visitor wants to register in Shopify again afterwards, he gets this message. Of course he can activate his account by email, but all the information he entered in the registration form will be gone and he will have to enter his address and other information again. The visitor does not assume that there is already an account with his e-mail address to which he has no access due to lack of password.
The goal would be that in Shopify no customer data is stored at all when subscribing to the newsletter.

omnisend customer.JPG

Best regards,
Benjamin

Jurate_Omnisend
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Benjamin,

Thank you for this explanation!

So Omnisend has to create a user since we have two-way contact sync with Shopify - Shopify syncing contact data to Omnisend and vice versa. 

Sorry that I cannot think of a workaround for you on this one from Omnisend side, but maybe someone from Shopify could still have a solution. Maybe a possibility to create the account without a verification email could be helpful.

Best

Jurate

Dry-Ager
Excursionist
32 1 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi,

I just want to let you know that the problem seems to be gone. The error obviously came from our third party registration form app which has launched an update a few days ago. Now all customer data in the input fields will be saved until he confirms his account with the activation mail and no error is showing up. After the confirmation, the pre-created account from Omnisend will be updated and activated correctly.

Thanks again for your support!

Jurate_Omnisend
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hey Benjamin,

Amazing news! Happy the issue is gone 🙂

Jurate