Strange customer accounts..spam maybe?

Vivid_Trends
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any problems with people creating customer accounts from email account from @bongobongo.cf? 

I had about 5-6 accounts created in the last 24 hours all from people with that kind of email address.  Obviously after I noticed i disabled all those accounts.  

Ive tried to google information on the company that has those address but cant get anything. 

Needless to say, ive changed all my passwords. Just wondering if anyone has any input on dealing with stuff like this

0 Likes
mrwonggg
Shopify Partner
14 0 8

Hi there!

I understand that you're dealing with spam bot registrations on your store. Fake accounts are definitely bad for your store, especially if used to hurt your site's reputation.

Potential issues range from degrading the performance of your products with fake reviews the spam accounts sending referrals to email addresses who will mark your emails as spam; this in turns make you look like a possible spammer and email platforms will learn to mark emails coming from your domain automatically as spam. 

It's a good thing that you discovered this early. Most stores would run a CAPTCHA to prevent bot registration however there is yet a solution straight from Shopify yet at this time.

A popular fix among merchants at this time is to use a Math Question verification for people on comment submission pages and registration pages. I'd like to help guide you through trying this; a bit of coding is needed but should be quite simple!

1. In the Shopify dashboard, go to Online Store > Themes > Action > Edit Code

2. Under the Templates tab, find "customers/register.liquid"

3. At the very top of the editing window (line 1) add the following bit of code

<script type="text/javascript">
     $(document).ready(function() {
   	   var n1 = Math.round(Math.random() * 10 + 1);
     	   var n2 = Math.round(Math.random() * 10 + 1);
   	   $("#question").val(n1 + " + " + n2);
  	   $(".comment-form").submit(function (e) {
          	   if (eval($("#question").val()) != $("#answer").val()) {
                     $("#answer").css('box-shadow', '0px 0px 7px red');
              	     e.preventDefault(); 
          	   } 
     	   });
    });
 </script>

4. Do a Ctrl+F or Cmmd+F to search for the line of code with "submit"

5. In the line above the one with "submit", add the following line of code

div>
        <br/>How much is: <input type="text" disabled="disabled" id="question"/>
        <br/>Answer:* <input type="text" id="answer"/>
</div>

6. Save the changes

Your result should look something like the following but for your registration page:

I hope I was able to provide a temporary solution; keep an eye out for when Shopify releases a CAPTCHA solution as there is word that they're currently working on that!

Best of luck! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns :)

David

0 Likes
Vivid_Trends
Tourist
13 0 1

Thank you so much for your help.  Im glad I caught it within 24 hours.  I also was sure to change my mailchimp password just in case.  You never know these day.  Thanks again for your help! 

0 Likes
mrwonggg
Shopify Partner
14 0 8

You're welcome :) Glad I was able to help!

0 Likes
Vivid_Trends
Tourist
13 0 1

Just an update...the simple math equation slowed down the accounts but didnt stop them.  BUT there is hope...I immediately got the app Ellipsis Human Presence and it worked 100%.  From what I can tell, the more days I have it, the less bot traffic I even get to my site.  And from the moment I got the app I have not had ONE bot account!  If anyone is having this same issue, I would highly recommend this app.  Totally worth it!  

Matt22
Tourist
6 0 7

When is the CAPTCHA coming? We need it too for the contact form.. We are getting spammed.

0 Likes
Vivid_Trends
Tourist
13 0 1

The CAPTCHA didnt work completely.  You can get the Human Presence app through shopify for I think $5/mo totally worth it to be honest with you because you dont actually have to solve the problem to create the account.

0 Likes
geraldz
Shopify Partner
14 0 1

This does not appear to work.  I entered a bad value for the math problem and it let me register anyway.

0 Likes
parts
Tourist
4 0 4

2 years later do we have a solution?

I keep getting bot fake account being produced.

Screenshot_2019-10-22 1200s com ~ Customers ~ Shopify.png

geraldz
Shopify Partner
14 0 1

I contacted Shopify about this and they claim that they use Google CAPTCHA to prevent spam.  But obviously it doesn't work, I still get fake accounts regularly.  I just sort customers by "new" and "no orders" and then delete what looks like fake names.