Subdomain ssl certificate issue

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hello, I recently discovered a problem. I purchased a domain name waterdropfilter.com from a third party, and used the www.waterdropfilter.com subdomain as the main domain to bind the shopify store. Shopify automatically bound my www.waterdropfilter.com domain with an ssl certificate. Everything looks perfect, but my other subdomain lacks SSL certificate protection, such as warranty.waterdropfilter.com. I searched a lot of related content, but there is no related content, so I need help.
Is there any way for the subdomain to be protected by the SSL certificate?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
472 67 86

Hi, @Lancer,

Hank here from Shopify!

I took a look at the link for warranty.waterdropfilter.com, but it seems to redirect to https://www.water-filter.com/warranty? On that website, it is not showing as a Shopify powered site, do you know where it is hosted? 

If it is not a Shopify site, then the forums would not be able to assist with this, and I would advise reaching out to either your your website or your domain host. 

Let me know if the website is a typo, or if you have not created the subdomain, I will share this guide with you about connecting third party sub domains just for additional context.

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Hank,
thank you for your reply,
I want to find out a few questions:
1. Will adding a new subdomain in shopify also jump to the main domain?
2. Are only the main domain and subdomains bound to shopify protected by SSL certificates?
3. If the bound subdomain name is on another server, do I need to purchase another SSL certificate?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
472 67 86

This is an accepted solution.

Great questions!

The idea of a sub domain is to redirect traffic to your chosen domain. So whichever you choose to be the primary domain, will be what customers get referred to regardless of what sub domains the customer .

With regard to SSL certs, only domains hosted or connected to Shopify would have SSL certs from Shopify. If needing any additional SSL certs for another platform or website, you would need to contact your domain host or platform host, as an additional SSL certificate may be required.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Awesome!
This is exactly the answer I want.
Thank you very much for your reply.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
472 67 86

You are very welcome!

Do reach back out to us if you need anything, stay safe, and have an awesome day!

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi Hank, I am also experiencing an issue what I think may be an SSL related issue. My domain is connected but when I select "online store" and preview my domain to check some changes to the website, an  "Domain is not private" screen comes up. I've tried to find a solution but have not managed to get something that works. Can you help please?

Regards Craig

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 16.24.46.pngScreenshot 2020-06-27 at 16.40.52.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
472 67 86

Hi, @CraigV!

I took a look at your domain there, and while I was able to access the password section of your website, I do see multiple A records. There should only be on A record associated with your domain, as it can cause issues with your domain and the SSL certificates. 

Can you edit your DNS settings to ensure that you only have one A record for your website, and the value should be 23.227.38.65.

Once that is changed, can you try opening your website using incognito mode to see if this works? If it does, then can you try clearing your cache?

And then of course if it does not, let me know!

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Thanks Hank, 

I believe the issue is solved now. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi Hank, 

Wonder if you could direct me to the appropriate solution. I need to input the 'order status' as successful for a google analytics goal. Where can I get the screen/page address e.g. /checkout/payment?

Thanks for any help. 

rgds

Craig

0 Likes