Solved

Can I get a refund for my Shopify subscription after closing the store?

max65
Visitor
1 0 1

Good afternoon,

I opened an account on Shopify (free trial) as part of a course on LInkedIn Learning.

I mistankenly thought the account would be closed when the free trial ended.

This morning, I was surprised to see an invoice of 343.78 USD on my PayPal.

Just after I saw the bill, I closed the store account.

The address of the store was :  https://greenskykites.myshopify.com

How can you help me with a refund since I closed the store?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution (1)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @max65

Hyde here from Shopify. That's frustrating!

If you select a plan and input payment details then you will automatically roll over onto that plan once your free 14-day trial has elapsed. In the case of your LinkedIn Learning course, it sounds like you were funneled onto an annual plan. Here is some more information on all our plans.

Whenever opening an account with us it is definitely worth checking your Settings > Plan and Permissions to ensure you know what plan you're on and you know where to change/remove details if necessary. 

If you close your store and reach out to us we can look into refund options for you. We cannot close a store on behalf of a merchant for security reasons, so you will need to log in to the store admin and perform the steps yourself:

> Please note: Closure is immediate, so I would strongly suggest downloading any Invoices, Inventory CSVs, or documentation you may need for future reference before following the steps below!

1. Go to `Settings > Account`
2. Scroll down to `Store Status`
3. You’ll see the option to Pause or Close your store
4. Enter your password when prompted and click `Confirm`

I hope that helps. We've delved into your question together by email since, but let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 36 (36)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @max65

Hyde here from Shopify. That's frustrating!

If you select a plan and input payment details then you will automatically roll over onto that plan once your free 14-day trial has elapsed. In the case of your LinkedIn Learning course, it sounds like you were funneled onto an annual plan. Here is some more information on all our plans.

Whenever opening an account with us it is definitely worth checking your Settings > Plan and Permissions to ensure you know what plan you're on and you know where to change/remove details if necessary. 

If you close your store and reach out to us we can look into refund options for you. We cannot close a store on behalf of a merchant for security reasons, so you will need to log in to the store admin and perform the steps yourself:

> Please note: Closure is immediate, so I would strongly suggest downloading any Invoices, Inventory CSVs, or documentation you may need for future reference before following the steps below!

I hope that helps. We've delved into your question together by email since, but let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde. 

Jackb123
Visitor
2 0 2

hi, I started the store as a trial but yet I must of either selected the wrong subscription or I’m not sure, I’m only in my teens and wanted to start for a bit of fun and have a little play around with it, now I have a payment on my account and I can’t afford it as I’m only young, I only thought I was using a free trail and once it’s over, it cuts my website of, this is stressing me out as I don’t know what to do, and I only thought it was free, I’m so sorry for the inconvenience 

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Jackb123

Not to worry, and don't panic. Start off by closing your store:

Once you do that you can reach out to us and we can look into refunds for you. If you cannot close your store because payment is still pending, I wouldn't worry. It simply means the store will be inaccessible until you pay the outstanding bill, but since you don't intend on continuing with your store you can simply ignore it and it is as good as closed!

I hope that helps. 

All the best, Hyde. 

Jackb123
Visitor
2 0 2
Hi, so due to I can’t pay, what happens if I leave it? Will the fee keep
adding up every 30 days, it says I can’t close the store as I have a
payment that I need to pay, do I just leave it?? I don’t intend on using
the store again, it was only for a bit of fun, I’m sorry for the
inconvenience I’m just a little confused

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

No, the fee doesn't keep adding up. We try three times to collect the first fee and if we cannot do that, we freeze everything on the store. That means that you cannot use it and we do not keep charging you, it is just frozen.  If you never want to use that particular store again, you simply leave it. After 30 days it becomes eligible to be completely deleted from our servers anyway. 

I hope that clarifies matters? 

Best, Hyde. 

TJ7272
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello. I started the trial for Shopify account 3 months ago. I cancelled and closed my shop early in the subscription and stopped using Shopify. Today I see some account has been billed almost $100USD!!! Please help me refund this as I cancelled my account and have not used it. I was wrongfully charged.

TJ7272
Tourist
5 0 0

Please help me. I was only testing it for the free trial and not keep it and now I am scared and about this amount. It is too much for and I am not using it.

yusufhassanin
Visitor
1 0 0

Good afternoon,

I opened an account on Shopify (free trial) to try your service on 29 May 2020, but I didn't open the store and never work on it.

I believe that I closed the store after the trial but today morning got charged for 29$

The address of the store was:  https://arabiata-kuwait.myshopify.com

Thank you.

UlrichQuatess
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello Please I will like to know I was building a total of about 300 USD for a year and I did not sign up for this, I had a 14 days trial am not much of a computer person please I will like to be refunded for I was using the account just to learn and understand how Shopify works 

DesireeM
Visitor
1 0 0

Im not sure if this is the correct way to ask for help but I got billed today and I didn't know my card would be charged as I was going to close my shop because it isn’t what I needed. Can anyone please help me receive a refund please. 

hasnat782
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey Man! I was using shopify trial with a subscription fee and now I wasn't using that store and I forgot to close my store and it deducted monthly fee. I closed my store now and I want my refund...please do something, I am in problem because I cant afford that.

Thank u for your help!

101percent
Visitor
2 0 0

hey i just realised that I got charged the yearly subscription.  I was wondering if i could get a refund as i needthe money for other stuff thanks

Heinrichermes
Visitor
2 0 0

Please help I started shopify as trial and its been going on for a month, since I didn't generate any sales I want to close my shopify store, but before I manage to close shopify already charge me. It only have gap of 5 min before I close my shop

my shop address is

sweet-pajamas.myshopify.com

Looking forward to hear from you asap

Thanks

TJ7272
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello. I started the trial for Shopify account 3 months ago. I cancelled and closed my shop early in the subscription and stopped using Shopify. Today I see some account has been billed almost $100USD!!! Please help me refund this as I cancelled my account and have not used it. I was wrongfully charged.

TJ7272
Tourist
5 0 0

Please help me. I was only testing it and now I am scared and about this amount. It is too much for and I am not using it.

TJ7272
Tourist
5 0 0

I went to make sure my account is closed but it says it is prepaid for another month. Please please help me cancel that and refund what was billed. Thank you very much.

houseofindi
4 0 0

Hello,

I went into the settings, but there is no accounts tab? I too accidentally subscribe for a yearly package, I was only looking around the services of adding Shopify to Facebook store

Could you please help me finding store closure and request a refund. 

Thanks in advance. 

jeffreytan1175
Visitor
1 0 0

HI,

I made an subscription today. But I decided to not go through with it at this time. Can I get a refund on the subscription since it hasn't even been a day. I have not use it for a day. Thanks. 

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi Jeffrey, 

Hyde here from Shopify. 

We can certainly help you with that. I will email you shortly about this, however, do also bear in mind you can contact support 24/7. 

To contact our support team, first head to https://help.shopify.com/en/questions and log into your store. Once you've logged in, you'll be prompted to ask about a topic: 

20-05-s998g-3lwie

Doing this will present you with links to relevant documentation on our Help Center, but there will also be an option to contact us directly if you require further help: 

20-05-ksl5x-pleb8

Clicking on this button at the bottom will then present you with the different support options available: 

20-05-m2m08-ainco

All the best, Hyde. 

anxhela_r
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello Hyde,

I hope you can help me as I was trying to pause my store and it automatically I got payed into my account. This was not what i wanted I was trying to pause my store and this is what i still want. 

I am looking for a refund immediately from shopify as this is not acceptable. If you say I can pause my store and then I get charged without doing any thing this is not acceptable. 

Please look into this because I want a refund. 

Thank you!

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @anxhela_r,

Hyde here from Shopify.

When pausing your store you currently have two options:

1. You can pause your store but continue to work on it, which is when you pause selling your products and continue to build your store for a reduced price of $9 USD.

2. You can pause your store completely and step away from it. In this case, your store is paused for up to three months without being charged for your subscription. It sounds like you might have opted for the first option, in which case you will need to follow the steps outlined below to rectify that:

20-09-67qv9-bj2xf

We can only offer refunds on stores that have been closed, so you would not be eligible for a refund. However, I can send you an email to look into what else I can do to help you out.

Please be sure to reply to my email from the email address you used to set up your account with us!

All the best, Hyde.

houseofindi
4 0 0
Hello,

I'm still waiting for my refund, This is my original request email chain.

I have not heard from Shopify Accounts yet.

It was escalated to Accounts due to the large amount.

Please help thanks
PJ100
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey @Andrew 

I enrolled into a free 14 day trail and this morning I saw a bill for $312, Can you guy please help me because I am a student and need this money. ( I already closed my store) 

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @PJ100,

Hyde here from Shopify.

I will reach out to you by email, however, I will need you to reply to me from the email address you used to create the account so that I can locate your store and look into the billing.

All the best, Hyde.

JLMGlassStudio
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Andrew 

I made a mistake upgrading to the $29 paid plan. I thought I could start a 14 day trial for my account. Could you please refund me the subscription fee? I've already closed my store.

Thanks,
Josh

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @JLMGlassStudio,

Hyde here from Shopify.

I'd be very happy to look at your billing, so I will send you an email. Could you please respond to that email from the same email address you used to open up the store?

That way I will be able to look into your store, and billing, securely.

All the best, Hyde.

PJ1001
Visitor
1 0 0

hey @Andrew 

The email address that was linked to the account was heyglowyskin101@gmail.com

PJ100
Visitor
2 0 0

Good afternoon,

I opened an account on Shopify (free trial)

I mistakenly thought the account would be closed when the free trial ended.

This morning, I was surprised to see an invoice of 352.56 USD on my Debit Card.

The address of the store was : https://hey-glowy-skin-ca.myshopify.com/

Thank you.

Tikaroxanne
Visitor
1 0 0

I just cancelled my store the other day. After I was charged for my subscription. I actually published my store by accident. I would like a refund because I will no longer be using that account.

peace-of-spirit.myshopify.com

matikalambey@yahoo.com is the email associated with the account.

Ak77
5 0 0

Good afternoon.

I am having an issue which has been totally unexpected. I opened a shop in January 2020 and then closed the shop before the trial was up. I tried to reopen the shop in March 2020, but had an outstanding balance of $29 and couldn't afford it at the time. After speaking with a rep over the phone about this I left it alone. Then last week I was billed $90. I tried contacting Shopify but the number is no longer in service, or the chat, and I couldn't find an email. Two days later I was hit with another $90 charge! I tried logging in and Shopify stated that my account has been inactive for over 3 months. I have read in another response that after your account is inactive they stop trying to take funds and "freeze" your store. That has not happened in my case. I'm not sure whats going on, but I would appreciate some assistance with this matter. I work as a housekeeper to bring my son with me to work so I can save on childcare. I hope you can understand that I literally need every cent I earn. The fact that this was unforeseen, and learning about the "no refund policy" really has me in a panic. Please help!

Ak77
5 0 0

Good evening,

Just checking to see if I’m in any type of queue to be helped. I haven’t heard back from anyone in a few days and it seems like your team is fairly responsive. Please reach out to me about this issue I am having. It would be a blessing to have this corrected, especially with my bank. Thank you!

Glossydesire
Visitor
1 0 0

I need help getting a refund. I did not realize how much it would be. I want to cancel or pause my website 

OswaldoGallo96
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, can you help me too?

I was about to close the store later but I just got charged before i was able to do it. I already closed the store but i'm panicking a little cause it's a large amount of money that i need for another bills. Can you help me please? Sorry if my english its a little bad.

nspraveen91
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi i opend a trail account one day before. In next day morning 29$ is debited from my account..But i am not intrested in continuing with shopify..i need refund..Online chat is not working properly..how to contct shopify.I need phone number.

icase
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I have recently paused my business, however, Shopify still took the money away from me, how can I receive my refund please? I already closed the business to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

Thank You. 

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @icase,

Hyde here from Shopify.

I would recommend reaching out to our support to request a refund!

If you go to this page and click Contact Support you will be prompted to either login or continue without a store. Once you have selected an option you will be asked to ask about a topic. Search for your query and relevant help docs will populate as well as the option to proceed to live chat or email.

You should log in with the email you used to set up the store in order for our support advisors to more readily access your account information and help you with your query.

All the best, Hyde.