Subscription refund

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 1

Good afternoon,

I opened an account on Shopify (free trial) as part of a course on LInkedIn Learning.

I mistankenly thought the account would be closed when the free trial ended.

This morning, I was surprised to see an invoice of 343.78 USD on my PayPal.

Just after I saw the bill, I closed the store account.

The address of the store was :  https://greenskykites.myshopify.com

How can you help me with a refund since I closed the store?

Thank you.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
445 49 97

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @max65

Hyde here from Shopify. That's frustrating!

If you select a plan and input payment details then you will automatically roll over onto that plan once your free 14-day trial has elapsed. In the case of your LinkedIn Learning course, it sounds like you were funneled onto an annual plan. Here is some more information on all our plans.

Whenever opening an account with us it is definitely worth checking your Settings > Plan and Permissions to ensure you know what plan you're on and you know where to change/remove details if necessary. 

If you close your store and reach out to us we can look into refund options for you. We cannot close a store on behalf of a merchant for security reasons, so you will need to log in to the store admin and perform the steps yourself:

> Please note: Closure is immediate, so I would strongly suggest downloading any Invoices, Inventory CSVs, or documentation you may need for future reference before following the steps below!

1. Go to `Settings > Account`
2. Scroll down to `Store Status`
3. You’ll see the option to Pause or Close your store
4. Enter your password when prompted and click `Confirm`

I hope that helps. We've delved into your question together by email since, but let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde. 

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

hi, I started the store as a trial but yet I must of either selected the wrong subscription or I’m not sure, I’m only in my teens and wanted to start for a bit of fun and have a little play around with it, now I have a payment on my account and I can’t afford it as I’m only young, I only thought I was using a free trail and once it’s over, it cuts my website of, this is stressing me out as I don’t know what to do, and I only thought it was free, I’m so sorry for the inconvenience 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
445 49 97

Hi @Jackb123

Not to worry, and don't panic. Start off by closing your store:

1. Go to `Settings > Account`
2. Scroll down to `Store Status`
3. You’ll see the option to Pause or Close your store
4. Enter your password when prompted and click `Confirm`

Once you do that you can reach out to us and we can look into refunds for you. If you cannot close your store because payment is still pending, I wouldn't worry. It simply means the store will be inaccessible until you pay the outstanding bill, but since you don't intend on continuing with your store you can simply ignore it and it is as good as closed!

I hope that helps. 

All the best, Hyde. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2
Hi, so due to I can’t pay, what happens if I leave it? Will the fee keep
adding up every 30 days, it says I can’t close the store as I have a
payment that I need to pay, do I just leave it?? I don’t intend on using
the store again, it was only for a bit of fun, I’m sorry for the
inconvenience I’m just a little confused

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
445 49 97

No, the fee doesn't keep adding up. We try three times to collect the first fee and if we cannot do that, we freeze everything on the store. That means that you cannot use it and we do not keep charging you, it is just frozen.  If you never want to use that particular store again, you simply leave it. After 30 days it becomes eligible to be completely deleted from our servers anyway. 

I hope that clarifies matters? 

Best, Hyde. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello. I started the trial for Shopify account 3 months ago. I cancelled and closed my shop early in the subscription and stopped using Shopify. Today I see some account has been billed almost $100USD!!! Please help me refund this as I cancelled my account and have not used it. I was wrongfully charged.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Please help me. I was only testing it and now I am scared and about this amount. It is too much for and I am not using it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

I went to make sure my account is closed but it says it is prepaid for another month. Please please help me cancel that and refund what was billed. Thank you very much.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello. I started the trial for Shopify account 3 months ago. I cancelled and closed my shop early in the subscription and stopped using Shopify. Today I see some account has been billed almost $100USD!!! Please help me refund this as I cancelled my account and have not used it. I was wrongfully charged.

0 Likes