Solved

Why does my support chat window keep freezing?

Bernie_Martin
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Hi,

Have a fairly new Windows laptop and every time I try to contact support my chat window freezes. It displays fine, shows my opening question/sentence and when the support person answers initially it displays that as well..... that's it!! 😞

The entire chat window then freezes up and no matter where I click, I can't get it to respond back - very frustrating!!

Any thoughts on what I need to do.

Thanks, Bernie

Accepted Solution (1)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 132

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Bernie_Martin!

Sorry to hear you've been having an issue when trying to chat with us. Have you been able to use our email or callback request options to request help from our Support Team? What browser are you using? Here are my suggested troubleshooting steps: 

• Clear your cache and cookies on your browser. After this, completely reboot the browser.
  • Try a different web browser, as well as incognito or private windows to rule out any browser issues. 
  • When using incognito, if you are still experiencing an issue, confirm you have disabled browser extensions.
  • Ensure the web browser is up to date on the latest version (we don't support every browser, but we do support the ones linked here).
  • Try another device, such as another computer or mobile phone.
  • Try another internet connection (switching to a cellular network on a phone rather than wifi, for example)
  • Ensure you do not have any firewalls or pop up blockers enabled on the device as these can interfere.

It is also good practice to check if we are experiencing any known live issues on our Shopify Status page. Once you have run through these steps, let me know how this goes!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 132

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Bernie_Martin!

Sorry to hear you've been having an issue when trying to chat with us. Have you been able to use our email or callback request options to request help from our Support Team? What browser are you using? Here are my suggested troubleshooting steps: 

• Clear your cache and cookies on your browser. After this, completely reboot the browser.
  • Try a different web browser, as well as incognito or private windows to rule out any browser issues. 
  • When using incognito, if you are still experiencing an issue, confirm you have disabled browser extensions.
  • Ensure the web browser is up to date on the latest version (we don't support every browser, but we do support the ones linked here).
  • Try another device, such as another computer or mobile phone.
  • Try another internet connection (switching to a cellular network on a phone rather than wifi, for example)
  • Ensure you do not have any firewalls or pop up blockers enabled on the device as these can interfere.

It is also good practice to check if we are experiencing any known live issues on our Shopify Status page. Once you have run through these steps, let me know how this goes!

Bernie_Martin
Shopify Partner
5 0 1
Hi Hillary,

I did all the various things you asked. It does work on my mobile device.

The only thing that has changed is a new laptop...

I am on a new laptop - windows Aspire..... I checked my Norton and I
have the same settings on it as I do the old one.

I also just tried to get into chat on my old computer and that works -so
the WiFi is not it.... something in my new computer isn't happy!!! Any
suggestions??? Do you want to look t my settings thru Skype or something
like that?

THanks!

Bernie

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 132

Great work running through the troubleshooting steps and determining that this seems to be a device specific issue. Glad you were able to find some alternate options using your old laptop or your phone to get support. 

While we don't have a way to connect with your computer, my best suggestions from this point are to make sure that:

If you don't have it installed, try installing Google Chrome and use this browser to contact us. Are you noticing any issues on other websites?