T-Shirt Designers Need more than 99 Variants! Please let Shopify know!

3 0 0

I don't know how to fix this or even if it is possible but I thought maybe if I posted in here and everyone voiced their opinion on it that MAYBE we could get a change!

I am sure at one time 99 variants served a valid purpose. But with the apparel industry it is extremely confining!

Let's say I want to put a tee in all sizes and several colors, a hoodie in all sizes and colors and a tank in all sizes and colors in one grouping, even if I choose one color only I can't do it because of all of the sizes. If I put only a tee up in all sizes I still can not choose all the colors. It is time consuming because I need to sit and figure out what colors of tee I don't want the design on. It would be so nice to have all of them so I can just hit upload and export to shopify and be done with it! 

Or if I had a design that could go on all colors with all sizes, in a grouping with hoodie, tees, and tanks, even pants! PLEASE SHOPIFY CHANGE THIS!

Any one here with me on this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
49 0 8

Me, it was very annoying for our Custom shirts when we sold them it white, black, and blue: we had to have a seperate Blue Edition! Now we only sell them in White and Black, but we are thinking of bringing 4 new colors, and it would be annoying if we had to duplicate the amount of products again and it would be very user-unfriendly.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1705 47 152

Feature requests can currently be be sent to, support@shopify.com.

Some background 100 variants is a reasonable amount because combinatorics creates a lot of problems when making something that works for most cases. If you have just 10 colors and 10 sizes and just 3 designs the required resources compound very fast especially if some options are optional . What if you have more options(like gender) what happens to variant limits then if shopify changes the current restrictions, now or in the future. /background

What you have is not neccesarily product variations but different products. Yes there are system annoyances that go with this but unless building out a custom ecommerce server  sounds appealing,it's better to rethink how the product line is catalogued to fit the system.

First if you have 10 sizes and 10 colors and 10 designs seriously consider having those as distinct products by size(or color though normally gender) then under that put the remaining options(color,design,etc)

Trying to cram everything into 1 product's variants may seem like what you should do at first since it seems so straightforward , but rarely is that the case.

Is the "design" a customization, or a defined product(inventory) by itself.

If it's a customization, use line item properties.

Or if I had a design that could go on all colors with all sizes, in a grouping with hoodie, tees, and tanks, even pants!

If it's a defined product addon(inventory) just use bundling and untie the design from garment-type(hoodie vs pants).

The thing to recognize here is even a single options may not fit any imposed limit ,for example, if you have the same sunglasses in 256 colors different-variants probably don't apply to your business model.

If these explanations seem unworkable provide a clearer description, even up to providing a reduced case example spreadsheet(online prefered) or product url.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
3 0 0

Sounds like a great idea and I might do that. But first let me break it down to just one design on one basic tee shirt.

So there are 9 sizes, and yes our target market buys ALL 9 sizes, every day, every week. There isn't a single one we should take off.

Now that basic tee comes in 23 colors. I create the design so that it will fit on every color and look good (not always but 95% of the time)

So if you do the math on just that one t-shirt that is 207 variants. OH! Heaven forbid it is a front and back design. Then the water gets really murky! 

If we put up the same design on one set of colors and we put up the same design with another set of colors the customers get confused. 

Soooo.......can't we at least get the number of variants changed for Apparel vendors?

0 Likes
3 0 0

Oh, one more thing.......that definitely excludes any grouping of say a tank, hoodie and tee.....TOO MANY VARIANTS.

0 Likes
2 0 0

I have twice the amount of work to do with my designs 1. dark colours on light colour T Shirts and 2. Light colours on dark T Shirts.

Having said that I don't think it's wise to unlimited varients, that would be too confusing for the customer to sort through but if the number of varients were to double that would be benefitial to me.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9965 84 1469

The variant limit is something you'll need to take into account for your product setup, or how your theme is built. For example, with some theme customisations you could:

• Save each product type (shirt, hoodier, whatever) as a standalone product.
  • Add some theme logic to connect each related product to each other (perhaps with metafields, tags or something else).
  • On the product page your custom code would show a series of product types and colours - all built up from the related products.
  • When the customer clicks a different product type it loads that specific product.
  • Optionally choose to setup collections without all the extra product types, and just add one product per design.

^ This is a simplication of the idea but I am sure you get the general thought process here. This does take some development so just breaking the products up into small ones is the easier method.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1705 47 152

So if you do the math on just that one t-shirt that is 207 variants. OH! Heaven forbid it is a front and back design. Then the water gets really murky! 

Please reread the background i wrote on variants, there would always be a limit someone is breaking and thus feel they need it increased.

If we put up the same design on one set of colors and we put up the same design with another set of colors the customers get confused. 

I don't understand what this means for your product scheme, again elaborate.

Soooo.......can't we at least get the number of variants changed for Apparel vendors?

This could change tommorow or never at all, focus on your options now. Several questions have been left unanswered which can clear up how to use shopify's system today vs how we wish it worked.

.that definitely excludes any grouping of say a tank, hoodie and tee.....TOO MANY VARIANTS.

What your trying to accomplish isn't clear.

• are you selling bundles with the garment-types as options?  If so why?
  • Are you selling designs and the thing being printed onto are the options?
  • What in essence is a single product with no options?
Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
165 0 5

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the feedback.  We definitely appreciate it! :-) While at the moment this option is not available you are in luck as there is a free app here called Infinite Options that might be able to help out for sure!

I hope you have a great day! 

Matt

0 Likes