Solved

TD Bank Institution number "Invalid"

SnowStorm0073
Excursionist
15 1 1

Anyone here bank with TD in Canada that had a problem when they started with the Institution number being "Invalid" ??

I fill everything out and "Invalid Institution number" always happens. I wanna get my store up

Accepted Solutions (2)
SnowStorm0073
Excursionist
15 1 1

This is an accepted solution.

Hello Julie,

I got it all figured out now...goes like this...was told to enter "0XXXX" then XXX and XXXXXXX by my direct deposit paperwork. But instead of the "0" at the beginning numbers do XXXX7 then 004 and finally XXXXXXX. This is for Canada only.

View solution in original post

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad it worked out and you were able to finish setting up your account. 

Now that you're all set up, it might be worth processing a test order prior to launching. This allows you to get a feel for how the checkout process works for both the customer and for yourself as the merchant. Feel free to check out our help doc on testing Shopify Payments, which outlines how you can enable test mode in your Shopify Payments settings to process a simulated transaction.

Thanks again for following up and best of luck with your launch! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 27 (27)

SnowStorm0073
Excursionist
15 1 1

Hey all...is there NO ONE out there that uses TD Banking in Canada on Shopify? Surprised no ones answered yet. If you are a TD member and your store is running can you please take a look at your Institution Number you put in your banking area and let me know what it looks like. All TDs in Canada are "004"...but mine doesnt work...i keep getting "Invalid Institution number". Thanks all

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @SnowStorm0073.

Julie, here from Shopify Support.

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties setting up your Shopify Payments account. I have taken a look and the TD institution number you are attempting to use looks to be the right one. Have you tried reaching out to TD directly to confirm that all the details you are trying to enter are correct? This would include not only the institution number but also your account number and routing number. 

Nonetheless, I'm curious to see if there are any other TD customers here who have experienced the same problem. I recommend trying once more using incognito mode in Google Chrome. Sometimes plugins that have been installed could be the culprit here. If you aren't sure how to access incognito mode, you can do so by heading to File > New Incognito Window when using Google Chrome.

If this doesn't work, then I would recommend contacting TD as a next step, and simply let them know that you are trying to receive payout transfers from Shopify. If, after speaking with them, you're still experiencing issues, I would be happy to get you in touch with our Shopify Payments team who will be happy to step in and assist with the setup. In this case, we would just need you to provide a blank void cheque or direct deposit slip. 

Please let me know how that goes! I look forward to hearing back from you. 

SnowStorm0073
Excursionist
15 1 1
Hello there Julie 😊 incognito didn’t work either
Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for letting me know! 

Have you reached out to TD yet? They should be able to walk you through the entire process while you enter in your bank account details so you can be absolutely sure that the correct account, routing and institution numbers are being used. If, after speaking with them and confirming the account details are indeed correct, please let me know and I'd be happy to send you an email directly, connecting you with our Shopify Payments team. 

SnowStorm0073
Excursionist
15 1 1

Hello Julie,

I got it all figured out now...goes like this...was told to enter "0XXXX" then XXX and XXXXXXX by my direct deposit paperwork. But instead of the "0" at the beginning numbers do XXXX7 then 004 and finally XXXXXXX. This is for Canada only.

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad it worked out and you were able to finish setting up your account. 

Now that you're all set up, it might be worth processing a test order prior to launching. This allows you to get a feel for how the checkout process works for both the customer and for yourself as the merchant. Feel free to check out our help doc on testing Shopify Payments, which outlines how you can enable test mode in your Shopify Payments settings to process a simulated transaction.

Thanks again for following up and best of luck with your launch! 

DenaB
Tourist
3 0 1

I am having the exact same issue with BMO - the institution number is 001 but it is marked invalid. What is the exact solution - I don't understand the XXXX part!

thanks!

Dena

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @DenaB!

It sounds like the issue with BMO is quite similar to the issue that @SnowStorm0073 was having with their TD account. Are you entering 001 manually, or have you copied and pasted it into the bank details field in Shopify? If that's the case, please make sure that you are typing all three numbers in manually to prevent any unnecessary spaces. If you are still having difficulties, I would recommend contacting BMO directly and have them walk you through entering the details. Have you been in touch with BMO yet? 

AmelB
Visitor
1 0 0
Hi Julie
Same problem here but I called BMO and I have everything right on my side of things. 001 is not working when I type in my institution number and I have no clue what to do now
DenaB
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Amal

I had this issue with BMO too. Luckily, my branch manager knew the trick as BMO's general help line for business accounts was useless.  (As is Shopify's pretty much on this thing)  Anyway, for BMO you add a 2 to the end of your transit number and enter that. I have no idea why.  

Hope this works for you!

Dena

SnowStorm0073
Excursionist
15 1 1

Hello there @DenaB ! The "X"s are as follows so you can get it. XXX-XXXX-XXXXXXX right. Branch, Institution & account number, or w/e the order is. However, the 4 digit number (I think branch) add a "7 "to the end of your branch number. The "7" is the country code (which is strictly Canada) and it might need that in the "XXXX". Hope that works for you! Good luck

SnowStorm0073
Excursionist
15 1 1

@DenaB  my bad....it goes...uhhh...w/e your 3 digit number is stick with that...the area that you can add 5 numbers (think it's branch #) instead of a "zero" (0)...put in a number 7 at the end to let it (the program) know it's Canada based account. Hope you get it...ahhh....just found a copy of mine. It's the TRANSIT number! Let's say your transit number is 1234 and your inputting it as 01234 because thats what its telling you. Instead go 12347. The 7 is the code for Canada banking institutions. Good luck again!

DenaB
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks for the replies & sorry I forgot to update this. Luckily, my branch manager knew the trick as BMO's general help line for business accounts was useless.  (As is Shopify's pretty much on this thing)  Anyway, for BMO you add a 2 to the end of your transit number and it works.  I have no idea why.  

best

Dena

estheroo
Tourist
8 0 7

Thank you! This was quite helpful and it worked for me 

amarjagdev
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm still getting this issue after adding 7 at the end to Transit#. 

It says Institute# is invalid, adding 004 for TD account

atilatech
Visitor
1 0 0

@amarjagdev 

@amarjagdev wrote:

I'm still getting this issue after adding 7 at the end to Transit#. 

It says Institute# is invalid, adding 004 for TD account

Turns out the last digit of the branch number is not always 7. It's based on where your business is located. So for example if you're in Ontario the last digit will actually be 2.

Branch numbers ending with:

* 0 are located in British Columbia and Yukon
* 1 are located in Western Québec including Montreal and surrounding areas
* 2 are located in Ontario including Toronto and surrounding area
* 3 are located in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland excluding Labrador
* 4 are located in New Brunswick
* 5 are located in Eastern Québec including Labrador
* 6 are located in Eastern Ontario including Ottawa and surrounding area
* 7 are located in Manitoba and North-Western Ontario
* 8 are located in Saskatchewan
* 9 are located in Alberta, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut (?) 

source:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-PayPal-account/MY-TRANSIT-NUMBER-IS-ONLY-FOUR-DIGITS/td-p/330...

walter999
Visitor
1 0 2

I'm also a TD Canada Trust customer in Southern Ontario and can't get it to accept my Institution #.  004 didn't work.  0047 didn't work.  00472 didn't work.  Ahhhh. So frustrating.

Anybody other southern Ontarians who found a way to make it work?

madeNTB
Visitor
1 0 1

Having the same issue

Terryd43
Visitor
2 0 0

I am located in Southwestern Ontario as well and am experiencing this issue - nevermind, was using the wrong transit number.

nm2020
Visitor
1 0 1

had the "2" to the end of your transit number. not your institution number. in canada we have 4 digit transit numbers so at the end add 1-9 depending on your region. in Southern Ontario add "2"

Mel1616
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for this. My transit number started with 0 so I removed that and added a 2 at the end. That’s still my proper account number right? Even if I added the 2 at the end example it was 01234 and I made it 12342. I’m in toronto. Let me know! Thanks so much!

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @Mel1616!

While it looks like adding a "2" to the end of the transit number has worked for other merchants in Ontario, I recommend checking with your bank before trying this out. They'll be able to confirm whether this is the right course of action. We want to ensure that you're receiving your payouts properly and on time, so it's always a good idea to have your bank double-check your account details before you finish setting up your Shopify Payments account.

Best of luck! 

shopkinetics
Visitor
2 0 0
I struggled a lot to get my TD account to work. I added the 2 at the end
and I believe it worked. I won't know 100% until I see a transaction in my
account

ly above this line -##

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
dangeline1
Visitor
1 0 0

i tried this and yet it still doesn’t work what should i do 

shopkinetics
Visitor
2 0 0

Shopify form says the institution number 004 for TD Bank is not valid. I know I have the correct information. I have also tried opening  incognito.  After speaking to my Bank they tell me that 004 is the correct information. Very frustrating. I hope the whole platform isn't this difficult. I have spent many hours trying to fix this and I have only just begun.

BroomsandMops
Visitor
1 0 0

If you don’t have a cheque, find the 5th digit of your branch (transit) number based on your geographical location:

• British Columbia and Yukon: 0
    • Alberta, Northwest Territories and Nunavut: 9
    • Saskatchewan: 8
    • Man_itoba and North-Western Ontario: 7
    • Eastern Ontario including Ottawa and surrounding area: 6
    • Ontario including Toronto and surrounding area: 2
    • Western Quebec including Montreal and surrounding area: 1
    • Eastern Quebec including Labrador: 5
    • New Brunswick: 4
    • Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland (excluding Labrador): 3

For example: If you are located in Toronto and your branch number is 1001, you should input 10012 if your direct deposit/debit form requires a 5th digit.

Institution Number:  The institution number for all TD Canada Trust accounts is 004.

PriyaNair
Visitor
1 0 0

I was having the same issues with BMO - just added the number 2 at the end of my transit number -- keeping fingers crossed that this will work when the next payout comes in.