THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!

Tourist
41 0 1

I have my store setup where only those with accounts can place an order. I have to create the account myself. It is time consuming but I know each of my customers. I create a member ID also and it is in the accont note area. I have been getting an email from someone named Cheny Kya J.V. Mosste saying that they are a customer of mine and want me to install or add Beans (trybeans.com)  to my website. That it would be useful to both them and myself.That they want their friends to become customers too.  Problem is I dont have a customer by this name and the account does not have an address or ID that I would have entered in when i created it. This person then emailed me the notice that is sent when someone activates their account to prove they are in fact a customer. The email that says; Dear so in so, thank you fo your account to so in so etc... I get to looking thru my customers and find this person. Then i get curious and go thru my support email from shopify and sure enough this is a person that has been in my system that works or worked for shopify claiming to be my customer.  I find this highly unsetteling. That a support person for this company, one who apparently has access to my store is trying to con me into believing that they are my customer and to install some spyware? into my system. So i contact shopify and they are now ignoring me. I have sent 3 email now and am now pissed off that this is happening. Thats why i am now writing this. Since they will not answer the question, should i be worried that there are random people out there that can access my store? What is this?

0 Likes
1 0 0

Oh my gosh!! I literally received the same email. They also said they were a customer but I did not recognize that name. Then, that Cheny person emailed me again today and asked if I received their feature suggestion. So I wrote back and told them thanks for being a customer and asked what they purchased. I also asked if they were a rep for the company. They have yet to respond. I have a feeling this person is a scam artist. I definitely do not trust them. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
67 0 4

Hey there,
Andrea here from the Guru Team!

I'd first like to assure you that Shopify support employees would not solicit our merchants in such a way. I'd love to have a look at those emails you've received so I can track down the source and ensure that this doesn't happen again. I will be sending you both an email shortly to send screenshots of your email correspondance with this person. 

Thank you so much for letting us know - and thanks for being so dilligent and careful! 

Andrea M | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
1 0 0

I have also had this same thing happen to me! Same initial email with 'account activation' request for trybeans, then a follow up. My email came from someone called Emma Andrea D.B. Nastongs.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
67 0 4

Hey Matilda! 

Reaching out to you in an email! 

-Andrea

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 3

I don't have the old e-mails - or at least i'm too lazy to go looking.  But I most certainly had this happen to me as well.

I am generally not happy with the amount of spam I receive from shopify app develepers that I do not do business with. It leads me to believe that shopify makes our contact information available to their app developers. I know shopify will say they don't.... but I just dont believe them.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
67 0 4

Hey Ian!

I completely hear your concern on that front. We abide by our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service at all times, but if you ever feel like this isn't the case, definitely reach out to our support team with a specific example and we can look into this further for you. 

As for the particular issue described above, I've notified the proper parties as Shopify who are working to prevent this from happening again. 

Take care for now,

-Andrea

0 Likes
1 0 0

I just received an email from Cheny Mosste with the same scam story! Should I delete this person from my customer list? Who can i forward this email to at Shopify?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
67 0 4

Hey Gabriella!

You can go ahead and ignore the email/delete the customer if you'd like - our team is aware of this case and are actively working with the parties involved.

Andrea M | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com | 1-888-746-7439

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 4

Also recieved one of these e.mails, and just recieved a follow up e.mail asking me if i received their feature suggestion.

0 Likes