Tag Conditions to add products to collections broken?

BFM
Excursionist
18 0 16

It seem that in creating collections you can only have "Product Tag is equal to"

The system will not allow another condition of "Product Tag is not equal to"

Let's say I have Green Apples tagged as such and another product tag that is "Disabled Items"

Why can't I create a collection of

Green Apples, but not if Green Apples has a tag of "Disabled Items"

We have a lot of products, that from time to time we want to exclude from some Collections. It seems the conditional logic in Shopify is broken. How to fix?

TIA

K

Replies 8 (8)

Jason
Shopify Expert
11190 225 2282

Smart collections use inclusive logic - not exclusive. Even though you might want to have an exclusive rule, how you're seeing it is as intended. There's no bug.

Consider how you might approach this in the inclusive way. For example, perhaps the items you want to show have an "enabled" tag and those you don't want to include don't. Your collection setup would then be looking for "green apples" and "enabled".

★ I jump on these forums in my free time to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work. http://freakdesign.com.au ★
BFM
Excursionist
18 0 16

That seems to be a strange way of "by design". No way to AND/NAND & OR/NOR - basic programming uses these functions and they are there in the drop down box but not implemeted. Seems a bit of unfinished business.

Snuckles
Visitor
2 0 1

I'm in agreement with BFM, this really doesn't make much sense.  An exclusion option if more logical so that you can filter out products.  Inclusion logic actually put undue work on people developing these sites.  Filtering by it's nature is exclusion logic.  Is there any way this can be fixed?

Snuckles
Visitor
2 0 1

Let's assume we have product type of Dresses.  But we have different types of dresses, or dresses with different prints, etc.  The ability to give dresses with African prints a tag, those with geometric shapes a tag, those that are blue a tag, etc.  The ability to have a collection of Dresses, African Print Dresses and Geometric Print Dresses would be most valuable.

I can also offer my services to fix this bug as I'm a developer.

kpvw
Shopify Partner
96 3 18

Hello there! Our app, Advanced Collections, has the feature of excluding tags from your smart collections - 

https://apps.shopify.com/advanced-custom-collections

With the app, you can create an advanced collection (which is basically just a Shopify custom collection controlled by the app) which syncs the products from one or more smart collections, while excluding those with certain tags you specify. As you add or update products in your shop, the advanced collections sync automatically according to the criteria chosen. The most common use case for our users is to apply a discount code to the advanced collection containing non-sale item (i.e. excluding any products tagged 'sale').

We have also recently added the feature of sorting existing collections by updated or publish date (Shopify only has the functionality of sorting by created date). There is a free trial of 7 days, do try it out. Thanks!

mgibson323
Tourist
3 0 2

This is backward, and doesn't seem to comply with best standards. I should be able to include or exclude products, not just include.

cascoly
Visitor
2 0 0

and especially not have to pay for an 'advanced' app that fixes a poorly designed 'feature'

RayRJr
Excursionist
14 0 8

I was confused by the showing of those options but not being able to use them as well, but notice that when you switch from "Product Tag" to a different variable that some of these other options become available. You may be able to come up with rules utilizing these other options ion correlation with product titles. I'm a noob, so feel free to ignore this. 🙂