Tag Products as Media Mail? Media Mail allowed at checkout for non-media items.

merchcollective
Shopify Partner
10 0 9

I am having the problem that customers are being allowed to select Media Mail for products that are not Media Mail appropriate. I can't figure out how to tag Media Mail appropriate items as such. This seems like it would be a part of allowing Media Mail to be selected at checkout. As far as I can tell, you can't tag products as Media Mail. I need to be able to differentiate products as Media Mail acceptable and not Media Mail acceptable, or the Media Mail option at checkout is mostly useless. It will allow customers to select the reduced Media Mail rate, and then I will have to ship the items using a more costly method. 

Please help!

Replies 14 (14)

merchcollective
Shopify Partner
10 0 9

Does anyone have any tips on how to tag certain products as media mail acceptable and others as not media mail acceptable?

merchcollective
Shopify Partner
10 0 9

Is it possible to tag products as Media Mail eligible? This would be helpful! 

bookofsigns
Tourist
5 0 2

I'm having the same issue. Is there an app that could be used? I feel like this is an issue Shopify should have worked out before releasing the service.

FaithCoder
Tourist
6 1 0

See this post:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Script-Editor/Trying-to-exclude-Media-Mail-when-a-T-shirt-is-in-the-...

You'd need to be able to use scripts so you'd have to have a plus account.

reftoons
Tourist
3 0 4

If Shopify is reading this thread, why is it not already an option to exclude items from media mail?  That seems like an obvious feature to add if you're going to make Media Mail available as an option for all account types.

Anyone know if Squarespace offers this option?

terminus
Visitor
2 0 2

I have the same problem. Is there anything I can do on a basic account to stop customers from selecting media mail? 

afbookstore
Visitor
2 0 1

I'm not aware of a way to do this with a regular account 😕

There may be an app that can do it ... 

terminus
Visitor
2 0 2
Thank you for your response.

To Shopify
I would think this is a feature that is leading to much abuse of USPS sort of "embedded abuse" in fact. All because there is a missing feature allowing sites to disable the use of specific type of service within a class of shipping service (class might be USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) If anyone from Shopify can make this problem go away for me before USPS cracks down on me (ahem) Fostering Abuse of Media Mail because our customers are always choosing it because it is the cheapest shipping method made available to them. Thank you for listening.
BooksR
Visitor
2 0 3

Hello Everyone,

I seem to found the solution to this. I created a new profile under Setting/Shipping and Delivery. After that, I added the products that are non-media and named those products as NON-MEDIA, but you can name anything you like. For shipping services, I choose different rates other than media-mail and saved it. 

When a customer adds any of the "non-media" items, media mail disappears as a shipping option. 

Good luck!

__jw__
Shopify Partner
6 0 3

@BooksR wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I seem to found the solution to this. I created a new profile under Setting/Shipping and Delivery. After that, I added the products that are non-media and named those products as NON-MEDIA, but you can name anything you like. For shipping services, I choose different rates other than media-mail and saved it. 

When a customer adds any of the "non-media" items, media mail disappears as a shipping option. 

Good luck!

Thank you @BooksR for sharing that important nugget!

nightowlsprint
Visitor
1 0 1

That doesn't work well though for orders including a media item and non media. It will charge the customer both shipping fees combined at checkout so shipping ends up being really high if you're shipping them out altogether.

ayellowgiraffe
Excursionist
32 0 58

I agree, the ability to include or exclude products from Media Mail within the Shipping portion of the Product information would be very useful. It would be nice if Shopify would add more options for special shipping rules within the product file.

JacobTsafatinos
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

+1 i'm running into this issue now. It's a little crazy that we can't solve this without having to pay for an app or be on Shopify+. Seems like a very common problem.

DT108
Visitor
2 0 1

Agreed. We just switched to Shopify, as I'm sure many businesses do all the time. They need to make this platform more friendly for small businesses who don't have the money for Shopify plus. This is ridiculous. If anyone finds an app for this issue or some affordable solution, please post on here to let us know. We would love to offer our customers media mail, but are currently unable to, due to the forementioned reasons. Thank you.