Tags for Sub-categories. Really?

2 0 0

Amen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
21 0 9

I've tried both the tags and the link-lists approaches to this and they are difficult to administer for the client.  The idea of an app to assist with this is a non-starter as it significantly increases the cost of a site for a facility that should be part of the base system.  

I've started on an alternate approach that allows a collection to be included in another collection.  It's really much simpler than the previous kludges although it is probably less efficient.  It also allows collections to be added to any collection, there is nothing special about the parent, it can contain both products and collections.

- Create a product and a collection with the same name.  Set the product description to '=Collection'

- Add the product to any parent collections that the sub-collection should be included in

- modify the collection template to spot products that are really collections and call the collection-grid-item template instead of the product-grid-item template (I'm using a Timber based theme).  You will need to make this update to the collection-list template as well.  Here's the code:

{% for product in collection.products %}
        {% if product.description contains '=Collection' %}
          {% for category in collections %}
            {% if category.handle == product.handle %}
              {% include 'collection-grid-item', collection: category %}
              {% break %}
            {% endif %}
          {% endfor %}    
        {% else %}
          {% include 'product-grid-item' %}
        {% endif %}
      {% else %}

The ugly loop to find the collection is because collections[ product.handle ] returns EmptyDrop. If someone knows a better way to do that please let me know.

This doesn't address the breadcrumbs issue, but my clients don't use them anyway.  I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

2 Likes
3 0 0

Hello,

I have tried using your Uncomplicated Categories app with the Simple theme but I am having trouble showing the categories in the right area of my website. Would you be able to help us? I can see a lot of potential with the app for our site.

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi Alex,

Yes, I'd be happy to help.  I normally ask customers to email us directly with support requests at uncomplicated@lightenna.com, or click the "Get Support" button on https://apps.shopify.com/uncomplicated-categories, but as you've posted here I wanted to reply here.

The Simple theme (https://themes.shopify.com/themes/simple/styles/light) has a left-hand sidebar, which is a good place to put the category list.  To insert it at the top of the left column, open theme.liquid and insert these lines:

<div class="site-nav">
          <h4>Categories</h4>
          {% include 'uncomplicated.categories.catlist' %}
        </div>

after the column opening HTML here:

<div class="grid">
      <nav class="grid__item small--text-center medium-up--one-fifth" role="navigation">

If I can help further, please contact me through the "Get Support" button otherwise good luck with your store.  Cheers, Alex

@lightenna
0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 1

Based on feedback that my categories app wasn't uncomplicated enough because it required theme/liquid changes, I've made a new one.  Uncomplicated Menus doesn't require any code changes - it embeds itself, is hosted entirely on Shopify and can be coloured/configured without needing CSS changes.

https://apps.shopify.com/uncomplicated-menus

Again, there's a screencast to walk you through it, but if you'd like help setting categories up, please hit "Get Support" on the app listing.

@lightenna
1 Like
6 0 0

Yes, please. Even just one level would be gravy. 2 sub levels would put me over the moon.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Website is one of way which lets other to know about your business. If you are looking for website designing Patna, then it is best to get from Ewebtonic Services Pvt. Ltd. We usually used to provide services which are really better and different. However, it even used to provide web services which are totally different and better. 

web designing Patna

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Alex,

I'll hopefully say what others probably are thinking.  10 bucks a month is steep for a feature that is put in and finished.  However, I do respect your time in building this as I was going to hire an expert to just code it up for me.  Can you provide a one time purchase fee for this.  Then it is a one time expense for those of us with stores.  Thanks for considering it, Alex.  Nicely done.

Rick

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Rick, you make a very fair point. Let me explain the constraints I'm under and then make some offers to you and the people you're speaking for to address the concern you raise. 

As a one-man band, the problem I've got is support. Since launching my first app at the end of 2015, I've spent a lot of time supporting customers. If you read my reviews, you'll see the high level of support I provide:

https://apps.shopify.com/uncomplicated-categories#reviews-heading

It's the support activity that drives the cost of the app.

The support issue is created by Uncomplicated Categories requiring theme/liquid changes. I quickly realised that many customers required quite a lot of help.  So I've spent the last few months supporting them and coding my new app Uncomplicated Menus:

https://apps.shopify.com/uncomplicated-menus

precisely so that it doesn't require theme changes, it just embeds itself. 

Uncomplicated Menus requires little support so is priced at $5 per month. It's a monthly fee because my app(s) allow you to update the categories and product counts regularly; judging by the logs, for most of my customers' stores they do change pretty frequently. That requires I run my own servers and I can't avoid those costs. Also the Shopify app store won't let me offer the app for both a fixed fee or a monthly fee at the same time. 

Now I know that you're an Uncomplicated Categories customer and all I've done so far is explain the cost of the sister app. I can't offer a fixed fee, but I am happy to offer a lower monthly fee for users who don't need support as it would be unfair on them to be subsidising the customers who do. I'm willing to offer Uncomplicated Categories for $5 per month to anyone who doesn't need help with it. Simply email me your store name after you've installed it and I'll send through instructions. 

I hope that addresses your concerns and please keep talking to me if there are other things I can do to improve my apps or your experience of them. 

Cheers, Alex 

0 Likes
4 0 0

Dear Alex,

Firstly, you creativity and insight is to be commended and thumbs up for such an application!

Secondly:

I dont have a steady income (frankly at the moment I have no income at all!) and so I chose this route (shopify) after already shelling out on other supposed miracle web stores.

And now this...

This is absolutely ridiculous! I used to write websites about 10 years ago, and I must say, this is not really any easier. Everything has moved on, and I have forgotten most everything I learned... Basically I got fed up with all the very time consuming studying and coding. 10 years later with all the supposed automation, it seems I will be fed up and broke!

By the time I get my store online, I will be getting shafted for the same money per month in apps, domains payments, bandwith costs (for MY internet), hosting subscriptions and percentage deductions, as it would cost me to rent a shop in a busy high street, but here I have no guarantee of any passing trade!

Yet I seem to do the same amount of work (More work with less results actually. Most of my time has been wasted going around in circles and not achieving anything!) but back in the day, it never cost me a monthly fee to implement the desired results! Just my own time and hard graft.

SO WHAT THE HELL? I HAVE 3 CATAGORIES WITH 79 SUB AND SUB-SUB CATAGORIES, WITH OVER 2500 PRODUCTS TO ADD!

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE EASIER!!!!

SHOPIFY SHOULD BE PAYING YOU TO GIVE US AN APP THAT DOES WHAT THE SITE SHOULD BE DOING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

All this and then I still have to get my head round the theme design, followed by my accounts (for the man) and order processing (for the peeps)?

I might as well file for bankruptcy and go on holiday with the time and money I will save...

Problem is, I have spent my holiday money already, unless I hitchhike to Marocco.

And even spell check in this box does not work!

THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR!

IF ONLY I WAS SELLING MUGS AND A COUPLE OF T-SHIRTS .... OR THE NEXT NECHE VIRAL.

Anyway Alex. I am sorry for the rant.  I wish you the best, and I am sure you will make a ton of money from this app.  Unfortunately, I cannot yet afford to put it on my list of things to buy before food.

THUMBS UP :)

0 Likes