Taking the Vat off for Non European buyers

Highlighted
2 0 1

While I understand that there is a way of showing prices with Vat and without for international customers, this only works if your product has only one variant. Which is not great! My client sells jewellery, and thus a pendant may have a 16" or 18" chain, its crazy that they should be two different products rather than a variation. Is there anyway to show both Vat Price and non Vat price with variations?

Below is the link to showing Vat and Non Vat but with only one variant.
http://support.shopify.com/customer/portal/articles/663599-how-to-show-one-price-with-vat-and-one-pr...

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
58 0 3

Hey Maureen, 

Definitely possible, it requires a small little piece added to the jQuery of your site. Your site is the one linked here correct (maureenlynch.ie)?

To change it: 

1. Click Theme

2. Click theme.liquid

3. Scroll down to line 580

4. Change

jQuery('#price-field').html(Shopify.formatMoney(variant.price, "{{shop.money_with_currency_format}}"));

to

jQuery('#price-field').html(Shopify.formatMoney(variant.price * 1.YOUR_VAT_RATE_HERE, "{{shop.money_with_currency_format}}"));

5. Click save

so if your VAT rate was 20%, you'd make that 1.2. Now if you're trying to show both VAT and non-VAT, you'll need to build another ID (something like 'price-field-2') in both the product.liquid and the jQuery within the theme.liquid. 

If you can confirm the URL of the shop you're setting this up for, I can check it out and see if I can set this up for you. 

0 Likes
2 0 1

Hi Areez,

The URL is www.maureenlynch.ie

If you can help me set it up that would be brilliant. Basically all EU countries will have 23% vat and the rest will have non.

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
58 0 3

Hey Maureen!

Cool! Now this isn't an integration Shopify generally supports, as it is possible to break your theme. However, if you follow my instructions to a tee, all should be well. I would also recommend duplicating your theme and making changes to the version that isn't live so that you're not affecting what your customers see. To do that:

1. Click Theme

2. Click Duplicate under Envy

Then you'll be able to make changes to the unpublished version and preview it without impacting your public site until it's ready to go live :). Now! On to the design changes:

1. Click Theme

2. Click Template Editor

3. Click Theme.liquid

4. On line 580, replace the current line with this one:

jQuery('#price-field').html(
"Eur Price: " + Shopify.formatMoney(variant.price * 1.23, "{{shop.money_with_currency_format}}"));  // update price field

5. On line 581, add this line

jQuery('#price-field2').html("Int Price: " + Shopify.formatMoney(variant.price, "{{shop.money_with_currency_format}}"));

6. Click Save

Now we're going to make the change on the product page:

1. Click on product.liquid

2. On line 101, add this line of code:

<h3 class="custom-font product-description-header" id="price-field2"></h3>

3. Click Save

That'll cover you for anything in your theme with multiple variants :). Then just follow the VAT guide from our support docs to have it work for products with one variant as well. Here's a link to it if you need it again: http://support.shopify.com/customer/portal/articles/663599-how-to-show-one-price-with-vat-and-one-pr...

Just a quick FYI: this change isn't for the faint of heart - if you're having trouble, I'd highly recommend hiring someone to help you make these changes. Check out Tweaky: http://tweaky.com/shopify if you need help making these changes on your site. 

0 Likes
6 0 0

Hello,

I want to do the same with my shop.

I made the manual, ... Do you have any help for me?

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
58 0 3

Hey Philip, 

Like I mentioned, this isn't something Shopify support will be able to do for you, so you may want to hire a designer if you need someone to set it up for you. I can help give you some guidance though - what part are you stuck on?

0 Likes