Tax setup: wrong country

KSPmarket
2 0 0

Hello, I'm finishing up my store setup, based in Georgia, USA, selling/shipping within North America. The tax portion of setting up seemed overly complicated until I realized my default is the COUNTRY of Georgia, not the state. I've checked my settings throughout and can't find where this is pulling from. FWIW, I'm connected to Printful and I've checked settings there too. Any ideas? Thank you!

The KSP Market
0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Hi, @KSPmarket,

Hank here from Shopify.

When setting up taxes, they can seem quite confusing but don't worry I will try to assist you here.

You are located in Georgia, which is deemed a destination state in terms of the U.S tax system. In short, taxes would apply if shipping your products to other addresses within the state of Georgia, but outside of this state, taxes would not be applicable. I have a great flowchart below detailing the different states within the US tax system.

sales_tax

When setting up your tax, it is important to note that you need a state sales tax ID to link the tax correctly. I have more information about this here.

In relation to having your default as Georgia the country, ensure that your correct address is listed in Settings > Generaland that you are collecting for taxes within the United States within Settings > Taxes.

Once they are set up correctly within the admin, Printful should follow suit, but let me know if you have any further questions!

All the best.

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
TeaTime1
2 0 0

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with the tax settings default being in the wrong country.  I've checked everywhere to make sure my Maine, USA address was corrected. How did you fix this?  

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Thank you for reaching out here, @TeaTime1.

Can you share a bit more about your situation, and if the above advice has been tried?

When you are based in the United States, the tax setup within the admin (Settings > Taxes) can resolve a lot of the initial issues when setting up taxes.

Let me know what has been done, and what is currently happening within your store, and I will try to assist you further.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
KSPmarket
2 0 0

Hi TeaTime1, I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply. Regarding my tax setup issue, I ended up starting a chat with customer service and the rep explained that there was a glitch in the system that recognizes the state of Georgia as the country of Georgia. Sorry, that doesn't help you in Maine. She had me set the tax rate in the country of Georgia to 0. Also, I hadn't entered my tax registration number in the US, which needed to be done. 

By the way, if you don't find a resolution here, I found the customer service chat feature to be really helpful while I was setting up my site. 

Best of luck.

The KSP Market
0 Likes
TeaTime1
2 0 0
Hi KSPmarket, Thank you so much for the information; I truly appreciate
your response! I'll take those steps and cross my fingers! I'll keep the
customer service chat in mind if I find I need a different solution. All
the best!
0 Likes