Taxes

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi all,

I am extremely confused and have not had any luck getting through to Shopify.  No more telephone service?  Online chat?  Please help somebody.

I newly opened a store.  I make less than $30,000.00 so have been told that I do not collect GST.  However, I do collect 7% PST on sales made in BC.

However, I had a few sales in Ontario and $0 tax was collected.  I had been told by a Shopify expert that I do not need to collect taxes for other provinces, but then I read this article: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/charging-provincial-sales-taxes-on-online-sales-2948448.

Can someone tell me exactly what numbers/percentages to key into Shopify?  Again, I am sooooooo confused and not a math person at all.  This is causing me alot of strife.  This feels way too complicated for me, can someone make it easy?

Also, I have never remitted tax before.  So what does that look like?  How will I be paying the taxes I've collected to the proper provincial government?  And how do I collect PST when certain provinces charge HST instead?  And I'm moving to Ontario in late July.  What do I do then?  How do I make everything line up with Ontario?

Please help!  I'm desperate!

0 Likes