The few things keeping me on Yahoo Merchant Solutions

Highlighted
39 0 0
I currently have 2 e-commerce sites: One hosted at Shopify and one on Yahoo Merchant Solutions. There's alot to like about Shopify, and I'd prefer to have both stores using it. However, there are a few absolute dealbreakers and a few "why can't they do thats" that keep me with one foot in both systems. *The Dealbreakers* From an SEO perspective, I have several sites deep linking to pages on my Yahoo-based store. As far as I can tell, there's no way to replicate the URLs under Shopify. There is no way to print customer-friendly invoices nor packing slips without the pricing info. This is really tough on a gift-centric business like mine. *The Why Can't They Do Thats* # Print, accept, and mark as shipped multiple orders at once # A “next” and “previous” button when going through orders (without having to press the back button!) # Gift wrap (without having to manually code a workaround) # Single page checkout I've asked similar questions over the past few months in these forums, but never got a response from the company. Can Tobi or someone else on the staff chime in and let me know if any these things are being addressed? Thanks, Rob Wolf That Baby DVD http://www.thatbabydvd.com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 284

You require some smarts to get around a few of these ‘problems’ you mention.

Let’s look at them.

From an SEO perspective, I have several sites deep linking to pages on my Yahoo-based store. As far as I can tell, there’s no way to replicate the URLs under Shopify.

For someone who will migrate from another store, that will be a problem. But then again, that will be a problem for anyone migrating from any store to any store. Shopify already provides editable permalinks to pages. I suppose you have a problem with /collections/ and /products/ and /pages/. But that’s hardly a problem with Shopify, nor would it be for any other cart solution. Shopify provides excellent SEO out-of-the-box: XML sitemap automatically submitted to search engines, SEO-friendly HTML, etc.

There is no way to print customer-friendly invoices nor packing slips without the pricing info. This is really tough on a gift-centric business like mine.

Use a Firefox extension such as ‘Stylish’ to toggle on and off a CSS rule (applied to media = print) to hide/reveal price info and you are done. It really works.

Print, accept, and mark as shipped multiple orders at once

In the Admin area, you can close/reopen multiple orders at once. As far as printing a bunch of them, you are welcome to use a little browser automation. Checkout Selenium IDE or iMacros (Firefox extensions). The Shopify API allows you to do whatever you want with your orders, you would have to pay for these services of course.

A “next” and “previous” button when going through orders (without having to press the back button!)

I never had that problem. From the page where I have a list of my orders, I press both mouse buttons (left and right)—on my laptop—on each order. You may have to press the Middle mouse button. Orders all open under different tabs. That’d be a cool ‘to-have’ but not a deal-breaker. (I am aware you’ve placed that one under “why don’t they”).

Gift wrap (without having to manually code a workaround)

This can be done already. Why aren’t you asking other people how they do this? With or without JavaScript, you can implement this, whether gift-wrapping is free or not. It works very well too.

Single page checkout.

You can have one-click checkout if you so desire, although I know that’s not what you’re asking here…

Not sure that one-page checkout is such great functionality. When you have a lot of info to provide (address, credit card info) it is actually better to break it up into stages, each one with its validation.

What you consider ‘better’ may not be ideal according to most.

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 284

Shopify implements Paypal Express Checkout. If you turn it on, there’s a button on the 1st checkout page that you can click to bypass all the checkout pages form-filling.

Read this: “Quick. Customers don’t need to enter their postage and billing information when making a purchase – PayPal already has the information stored. Seamless. Customers are taken to PayPal to approve the use of PayPal to pay, then returned to your site to complete their purchases. PayPal Express Checkout enables tight integration with your website and order management process.”

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 284

Other thread was addressed: http://forums.shopify.com/categories/1/posts/21525

Jesse from Jaded Pixel (Shopify) says about single-page checkout:

As for single page checkout, the problem is that a single page checkout solution will require users to have javascript enabled. The current checkout page does not require javascript or cookies, and is likely to work for any browser. If we implement single page checkout we may be restricting some users from actually completing their purchases.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 41

Those are all great suggestions and have been part of our meeting today. Jesse commented on our stance on single page checkout. We actually had single page checkout in Shopify in the very early versions but replaced it with a two step program which works better for several reasons. It’s true, you can only have single page checkout or checkout that runs without javascript, not both.

Gift wrap can be done with variants. We will investigate if a better solution may be needed.

Next / Previous is a good idea, we will see if we can fit it into the design somehow.

Printing: We hope to add excellent printing support to Shopify in the near term. We will include batch printing in this as well.

Tobias Lütke - Shopify CEO // http://twitter.com/tobi
0 Likes
18 0 0

Seconding opening each order on different tabs. It’s what I do as well. Will check out the Firefox extensions, thank you for the tip!

The one thing that would be extremely helpful would be to have the Voucher box in page 1 of 2 of checkout – I get 4 e-mails a day at least asking me where the box is!

0 Likes
39 0 0

Caroline and Tobi,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond thoroughly to my post. I’ve been meaning to respond myself, but wanted to have a nice block of time to collect my thoughts.

Caroline wrote: “Shopify already provides editable permalinks to pages.”

How do I do that? Would that work for the following example: before I was using Shopify on one of my two sites, I had a page at (mydomain)/details.htm. Is there a way for me to create a page at that address?

Caroline wrote: “Use a Firefox extension such as ‘Stylish’ to toggle on and off a CSS rule (applied to media = print) to hide/reveal price info and you are done.”

What is this strange “CSS” of which you speak? This is why I use Shopify—so I don’t need to know this stuff! :) Sounds like an interesting stopgap measure. I’ll if my feeble “marketing guy” brain can handle it.

With respect to a single page checkout, I saw great improvement in conversion rates when Yahoo switched to one. Of course I’m only a sample of one, but judging by the increasing number of carts offering a single page checkout, I’m not the only one that thinks it’s a good idea. I think the number of people without Javascript is negligible, but a best-case solution would be to offer it by default and gracefully degrade to the old cart style if Javascript is not supported. I know—easier said than done, but a guy can dream, can’t he?

Paypal Express is not really an option, since most of my customers don’t have nor want a PayPal account.

To end on a positive note, I’m glad my suggestions are getting a hearing within the hallowed halls of Shopify HQ. The improved printing will be very much appreciated.

Keep up the good work, and I’ll keep up the feature requests!

Regards,
Rob

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 284

Caroline wrote: “Shopify already provides editable permalinks to pages.” How do I do that? Would that work for the following example: before I was using Shopify on one of my two sites, I had a page at (mydomain)/details.htm. Is there a way for me to create a page at that address?

No. Pages in Shopify have an URL that must follow this pattern: (mydomain)/pages/my-editable-page-name. Not only that, the my-editable-page-name has to respect Shopify’s handle rules. No dot as in dot htm.

0 Likes