The psicology of the minimum order

Danielexx85
Excursionist
74 0 9

Hi all,

in my shop (caglio.co.uk) I have set a minimum order of £50+  delivery £9.9, which can be quite a burden. We did so because we pay £22 just for delivery, so we figured out to put a minimum order and a £79 free delivery. Being a food ecommerce could be a high amount, I know.

Do you think that instead deleting the minimum order and raising delivery fee to, for example, £19.9 could give another mindset to the customer? A customer might think, If I have to spend £19.9 of delivery I won't order only $10 of product.

What do you reckon?

www.caglio.co.uk
0 Likes
Olivia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
381 34 88

Hey, @Danielexx85.

Olivia here from the Shopify team.

Thanks for sharing your question with our network. Statistical data is overwhelmingly in favour of offering free shipping to improve conversions and entice sales. We have gathered empirical data over the years that continuously supports this conclusion, the latest of which you can view in our Future of Commerce Report.

Here are two points of data from our report that I'd like to bring to your attention:

27-17-3gh1q-5dp1i

The first, 59% of online shoppers prefer free shipping. Previous data shows this leads to higher conversion, even if product prices are higher as a result. The second, 75% of merchants (ie your competition) is offering free shipping.

With that being said, I realize your question was specifically around having no minimum order and a standard shipping rate. While I wasn't able to find direct data on this, my experience tells me that a minimum spend order with free shipping is more appealing. Personally, I'm less likely to complete a purchase when the item I need is valued less than the shipping fees and abandon the cart altogether. My next step might be to find something more convenient, and seemingly increase the amount of my dollar spend for greater value.

You can even have it both ways - advertise that shipping will become free at the minimum order amount, and all lesser value orders will have their corresponding shipping rate. Learn how to set up price-based shipping with Shopify here

I'd love to hear what other business owners think, and if their experience differs from industry to industry too!

I look forward to your reply,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes