Thinking of switching from Shopify to Squarespace. Is the simplicity worth some lacking functionality?

Tourist
11 0 1

So I have a Shopify store with a single product, possibly going to add a few supplemental products in the future. The primary features of Shopify are pretty great; I like my home page and most apps integrate with Shopify seamlessly.

However, I've been adding more and more custom pages to the site (landing pages, explainer pages, etc...), and this is where I feel Shopify is lacking. It could possibly be my theme, but creating pages beyond the home page and the product page is usually not as simple. I use a WYSIWYG editor, and although it offers a lot of customization, it's a bit time consuming as I have to re-build each page for every device, and it often leaves the branding not as crisp as I'd like. 

I know that Squarespace has an e-commerce platform, but I'm not terribly familiar with it. Am I going to lose a lot of functionality by making the switch? Could some of this be solved by purchasing a better theme? Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1383 12 109

So I have a Shopify store with a single product, possibly going to add a few supplemental products in the future.

Until you have more than 1 product have you negotiated for a reduced rate plan?

However, I've been adding more and more custom pages to the site (landing pages, explainer pages, etc...),

Why? How much time are you spending making pages plus marketing them for how much return? how much social goodwill? how much customer satisfaction?

Do you have a predefined design and process for consistency? If not that'a red flag you should stop as this is a common distraction store owners will invest thier time into without a very critical look of who they're doing this for and for WHY?

It could possibly be my theme, but creating pages beyond the home page and the product page is usually not as simple.

Themes, especially off the shelf, are like cars most are sport coupes fun to drive around in while looking pretty decent with no effort because someone else with design focus made them. When you start thinking you need a monster truck billboard with red flames on the side take a time-out.

I use a WYSIWYG editor, and although it offers a lot of customization, it's a bit time consuming as I have to re-build each page for every device, and it often leaves the branding not as crisp as I'd like. 

This is the keypart:

it's a bit time consuming

You should fix that part, use fiverr or some other marketplace etc and start delegating if it's taking up so much time, but if you also can't afford to delegate are you really investing your personal time wisely in the first place?

The hard rhetorical question: Are you a business or a designer?

It's one thing to write up and explainer and add it to products or the navigation but  a completely other thing if your also sub-themeing, creating custom art, changing the layout every other page etc etc.

leaves the branding not as crisp as I'd like

This is often a design experience problem dont hope a platform switch will magically fix this. If you must definately keep eroding the brand have to at minimum get a brand styleguide made and stick to it like a bible.

I know that Squarespace has an e-commerce platform, but I'm not terribly familiar with it. Am I going to lose a lot of functionality by making the switch?

Make a test squarespace account and give it a try, and yeah your gonna lose a ton of features(especially apps), but that's why you should do your homework and feature comparison, make a checklist of shopify features you use (minus apps).

Could some of this be solved by purchasing a better theme? Any help would be super appreciated!

It's not even clear what "this" as a problem is there are tons of apps/services that help with landing pages but seriously why? which customers asked for it? how much did it increase sales? 

No single theme will address your specific organic needs that even you dont know will be a month from now that's why you need to sit down with either a marketing expert or a designer and let them worry about the branding consistency. You focus on goals that are measurable.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 1

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I have reached out to Shopify to negotiate for a reduced rate while we still have one product. Addtionally, I've stripped most of the pages used building the WYSIWG editor, to help simplify the pages, and avoid wasting time making unnecessary edits. The reason for the landing pages was to create and A/B test our copy among a few different segments of our audience, so it wasn't asked for specifically by a customer. However, I think you're right about getting too hung up on the design and less so the results. I appreciate the thought-out reply!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1383 12 109

. The reason for the landing pages was to create and A/B test our copy among a few different segments

Okay that yes testing you should do within reason and ii should have anticipated that was the reason.

But generally dont kill yourself without an expert unless you can get statistically significant figures ala test 1000 hits of traffic, under that you could be better of optimizing existing pages/flows, polling customers,etc.

FYI: You can use alternate templates ( it's view url paramter) to show different theme code edits to test theme changes, search forums for more detail.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Thanks, I'll check that out for sure :)

0 Likes